Models

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I was not sure the best place to post this so I thought I would give it a go here. I was looking for models for various images I wish to take. But normally these cost too much for an amateur photographer. Does anyone know if there is a source that would help out.

There is or was a website that I came a across a while ago which I have now lost the url for and cannot find at the moment but it seemed to be for models looking to build a portfolio and would work for low fees or sometimes just for a copy of images.
I may have cause to use this sometime if I can find it. It was not an agency just a website that you could register with as a model I think
Sorry if that is not much help but if anybody knows of it....

Have you considered sharing a model with other togs. A professional one will make your shoot much easier and quicker with great results rather than someone just setting out or who doesn't have a clue?

As above there are important considerations here.

If you don't know what you're doing and neither does the model, you could end up with nothing more than an afternoon of frustration - and neither of you will learn anything much or get decent portfolio material. IMHO your options are:

Start 'local', shoot people you know, it's amazing how many willing volunteers you can get if you're offering free photo's.

Or hire someone who knows what they're doing, you'll get some decent shots, but more importantly, talk to them and get an inside track into how models tick. This might involve getting together with others as above, or even looking for studio's that set up this kind of thing. Look in the meets here too, there might be something that takes your fancy.

As for looking for models though, there are a few listings sites Purpleport has been mentioned, there's also model mayhem, and there'll be local FB groups too with MUA's photographers and models.

i know a guy who gets most of his models by approaching pretty girls in the street - to take that approach though requires brass balls and the hide of a rhino as you will get told to 'off a lot

Basically you get what you pay for. There are a lot of modelling sites where you'll find wannabe models willing to work for free but, as Phil says, if neither of you know what you're doing neither of you are likely to benefit. And these wannabees are notorious for not even turning up.

Just pay a professional, it's worth it, and it's also worth knowing that many of them are happy to work for less than their stated price.

I want to get into portraits and was having the same problem of who to practice on. I ended up asking a friend of mine if her son and daughter and their partners (all around 20 yrs old) would mind doing it. At first the girls were a bit suspect of the whole thing until i said i would be taking photos of the two lads too and all four of them would be there when we did it.

As long as you ask in a way that doesn't sound creepy i doubt you'll have a problem finding models amongst your friends.

I want to get into portraits and was having the same problem of who to practice on. I ended up asking a friend of mine if her son and daughter and their partners (all around 20 yrs old) would mind doing it. At first the girls were a bit suspect of the whole thing until i said i would be taking photos of the two lads too and all four of them would be there when we did it.

As long as you ask in a way that doesn't sound creepy i doubt you'll have a problem finding models amongst your friends.

thing is though that's how you wind up with a bunch of models who don't have a clue how to pose or how to act in front of the camera - if you want to get into portraits then untie those purse strings and hire an experienced and proffesional model who doesn't need to be told what to do and can in fact help you get the best out of her/him... yes it costs money, but its a legitimate business expense

thing is though that's how you wind up with a bunch of models who don't have a clue how to pose or how to act in front of the camera - if you want to get into portraits then untie those purse strings and hire an experienced and proffesional model who doesn't need to be told what to do and can in fact help you get the best out of her/him... yes it costs money, but its a legitimate business expense

It was also why i used the word "practice", i will be using them so i know how to get lighting right etc, i'm not going to be paying out a load of money just because they know how to pose if the lighting ends up totally wrong. Also, not all of us have enough spare cash to even think about paying models at the moment.

I'm still an amateur who is still learning and have very little money to start paying people at the moment.

fair point but you still won't get much valuable practice by shooting randoms ... end of the day you'll get more out of one studio day or workshop that you will out of any ammount of friends kids sessions ... another thought are you a camera club member ? (if not you might want to think about joining) as clubs often have model sessions etc which is an inexpensive way of getting some quality practice... likewise check out the TP meets section for the same...

if 3 or 4 people get together and hire a model and a studio (or an experienced member makes their studio available) it doesnt cost much per person

I use my missus as a model, when we visit the children and grandchildren I have masses of free models available. All natural poses and very challenging..

fair point but you still won't get much valuable practice by shooting randoms ... end of the day you'll get more out of one studio day or workshop that you will out of any ammount of friends kids sessions ... another thought are you a camera club member ? (if not you might want to think about joining) as clubs often have model sessions etc which is an inexpensive way of getting some quality practice... likewise check out the TP meets section for the same...

if 3 or 4 people get together and hire a model and a studio (or an experienced member makes their studio available) it doesnt cost much per person

I was tempted to join my local camera club but after a visit there for a night i realised i was surrounded by people who thought it was still 1956, they were an odd bunch lol

Maybe i'll look at the other suggestions you made though as they seem like a good idea.

I will still probably get a bit of practice on people i know first so i dont feel awkward behind the camera (not that i have in the past) but with people i don't know i might get a bit flustered and i'd hate to end up looking like a complete novice.

It was also why i used the word "practice", i will be using them so i know how to get lighting right etc, i'm not going to be paying out a load of money just because they know how to pose if the lighting ends up totally wrong. Also, not all of us have enough spare cash to even think about paying models at the moment.

I'm still an amateur who is still learning and have very little money to start paying people at the moment.
I sometimes say, I am just testing the camera, I want to test my flash.

+1 for purpleport. some lovely models ( personsality and looks ) on there who do TFP shoots and offer there time who have years of experience. also plenty of workshops where you can pay around £30-50 and shoot in a studio location ( just bring along your camera ) and shoot anywhere between 1 to several models in hourly sessions.
some events are half day or full day ( cost more ) and set up for maybe 5-10 photographers and 3 or 4 models and rotate throughout the day in some amazing locations.
also theres plenty of one on one shoots for models either paid or as mentioned TFP.
sure there will always be a few on there that can be a little be up themselves but thats no different in any walk of life or profession ( plenty of photographers like that, thats for sure ) but in the main its a very good crowd on pp.

+1 for purpleport. some lovely models ( personsality and looks ) on there who do TFP shoots and offer there time who have years of experience. also plenty of workshops where you can pay around £30-50 and shoot in a studio location ( just bring along your camera ) and shoot anywhere between 1 to several models in hourly sessions.
some events are half day or full day ( cost more ) and set up for maybe 5-10 photographers and 3 or 4 models and rotate throughout the day in some amazing locations.
also theres plenty of one on one shoots for models either paid or as mentioned TFP.
sure there will always be a few on there that can be a little be up themselves but thats no different in any walk of life or profession ( plenty of photographers like that, thats for sure ) but in the main its a very good crowd on pp.

I had a look at Purpleport and for some reason it wont even let me look for models unless i upload photos of my own to prove i can actually take photos, am i doing something wrong as it seems a bit catch 22 otherwise.

There's some (apparently) conflicting information here. There's a huge difference between lifestyle portraiture and fashion or glamour or art photography. Some people here are blurring those lines, making it look like some very odd advice.

If you want to get into 'portraits', practice on anyone you can get your hands on, from your Gran to your next door neighbours kids. It's easy to get volunteers for free pictures, if you don't find that easy - portraiture probably isn't your thing.

If you want to shoot fashion, glamour etc. then you need to find people who are willing to 'model'. And the best of them (easiest to work with) will be experienced and probably need payment. But there are cheap alternatives mentioned above.

There's some (apparently) conflicting information here. There's a huge difference between lifestyle portraiture and fashion or glamour or art photography. Some people here are blurring those lines, making it look like some very odd advice.

If you want to get into 'portraits', practice on anyone you can get your hands on, from your Gran to your next door neighbours kids. It's easy to get volunteers for free pictures, if you don't find that easy - portraiture probably isn't your thing.

If you want to shoot fashion, glamour etc. then you need to find people who are willing to 'model'. And the best of them (easiest to work with) will be experienced and probably need payment. But there are cheap alternatives mentioned above.

I actually want to do a bit of both so thought maybe that if i started with the friends etc it would give me a bit of experience behind the camera with a live person in front of me and that way i could learn to direct them, lighting etc, and then maybe move on to other stuff aswell. I think that if i had a pro model sitting in front of me who knew more than i did it would scare the living crap out of me hahaha

I have done a few bits for people who are in the webcam industry but they are totally different photos and are nothing like either mentioned above and no i'm not posting the photos lol (yes i do mix in some shady circles sometimes haha)

I actually want to do a bit of both so thought maybe that if i started with the friends etc it would give me a bit of experience behind the camera with a live person in front of me and that way i could learn to direct them, lighting etc, and then maybe move on to other stuff aswell. I think that if i had a pro model sitting in front of me who knew more than i did it would scare the living crap out of me hahaha

I have done a few bits for people who are in the webcam industry but they are totally different photos and are nothing like either mentioned above and no i'm not posting the photos lol (yes i do mix in some shady circles sometimes haha)
Well, in the scheme of things the lighting for fashion photography is right at the top end, and "glamour" is right at the bottom end.
Portraits can fall anywhere into the mix, the really good portrait photographers tend to work on the same principles as fashion photographers, i.e. the creation of the right shadows in the right places, the more commercial "pro" photographers often just go for white backgrounds and totally flat lighting that says nothing about the subjects.

Whilst it's perfectly OK to use friends and family as free models, creative lighting does require models who not only can hold their position but who will also look good, i.e. who have the complexion and bone structure that allows you to use different lighting approaches.

yeah you are supposed to ask you own wife, not jon's - pervert
It's OK I have perfected the perfect portrait of my missus, I took it in the evening when the sun was lovely and golden. It lit up her Honey Blonde hair (perfect 10 hair colour now discontinued) and skin perfectly. She had a cigarette in her mouth, and the way the smoke curled around her face was really good. It was a bit of a fluke really, just helped with good lighting, and an easy going woman ;)

I had a look at Purpleport and for some reason it wont even let me look for models unless i upload photos of my own to prove i can actually take photos, am i doing something wrong as it seems a bit catch 22 otherwise.

That's exactly how it works. Unless the criteria have changed, half a dozen average quality of images of people - anyone at all - will suffice.

Back