Modified Canon 580ex MkI

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
The Canon 580ex is a cracker of a flashgun. No question about that. The MkI differs from the MKII in that the MKII comes with a socket to plug a pocketwizard or other radio trigger into.

That left me with my MKI and no ability to use my very expensive PW's with it! So.............I did some research and came up with a rather tidy little mod. Yes you can buy a little block that sits under the flash and provides a socket but that messed up the lastolite ezybox hotshoe mount!

So tonight I got out the little screwdivers and set to work fitting my nice shiny new foot with integral socket already fitted to my flash. Here's how easy it is!

This is what the new part looks like.

MG_7256.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the only connection you need to make
MG_7258.jpg
[/IMG]

There are only four little screws to bother about

MG_7259.jpg
[/IMG]

And bingo!

MG_7262.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it's a really neat solution to what was, for me, a limitation of the MkI. With the price of the MkII staying as high as it is, it made perfect sense for me to invest the £40 in a professional solution for my much loved MkI. I still have my original foot and a little trip to Maplins is in order so I can have a go at it myself :)

Hope you find it useful if you have a MKI too.

More than welcome, took me less than ten minutes. I'm going to get the components and have a go at making one myself. I'll probably make a right mess with the soldering iron but if I get it right I'll have a spare foot or could get a second much cheaper MkI :)

Back