Modifier output with different flashes...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a newbie question but....

Getting back into things after selling up a few years ago and flash-wise just have a Godox V850 that I shoot portraits (mainly headshots) through either a softbox or beauty dish. Would there be any benefit in quality of light from my flash to something like an AD200 with the bare bulb fitting? I'm expecting that it would be more beneficial when using a beauty dish but is the difference night and day or negligible?

Not matter the output differences, if you shoot TTL, you
shouldn't have to worry —specially when controlling the
test histogram. Have a good time! :cool:

The larger the modifier, the stronger the output demand,
and this applies to any light source.

Last edited:
Yes, there will be a massive difference in the light quality between any flash fitted with a fixed reflector and any flash that has no reflector.
With a softbox, all of the light from a hotshoe flashgun hits the diffuser, with a barebulb flash much of the light bounces off of the softbox walls, and this largely eliminates or at least reduces hotspots.
With a beauty dish, the improvement is even more dramatic.

Bit of a newbie question but....

Getting back into things after selling up a few years ago and flash-wise just have a Godox V850 that I shoot portraits (mainly headshots) through either a softbox or beauty dish. Would there be any benefit in quality of light from my flash to something like an AD200 with the bare bulb fitting? I'm expecting that it would be more beneficial when using a beauty dish but is the difference night and day or negligible?
With a BD the difference can be night/day... the design of a BD is not intended for the type of light output by a speedlight. The results from a bare BD with a speedlight can vary from absolutely horrible, to fairly usable.
With a softbox the differences are more subtle, but may still be significant in evenness of fill... That said, with a softbox uneven fill isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks guys... It's the answer I was expecting tbh.. Just wanted input from folks who know a lot better than I do!

As above, but one of the main things about the AD200 is its battery power - for which you pay a high premium. If there's mains power to hand, you can get a better studio head for less than half the cost.

Back