Mojave

P.S. How do you uninstall parasitic new apps like Siri or their fake NEWS propaganda selection?

Sudo rm -rf gets rid of most things ;) Whether that's a good idea or not I'll leave up to you*. My *guess* is that it will automatically reappear every time they patch the OS though - Apple really want you to have Siri.

-------
* if you don't know what sudo rm -rf means I would strongly recommend not using it. Srsly, it can be very dangerous indeed and there's even a chance your Mac won't boot if you do it wrong.

Both my WD drives hanged up after the night again. Something is seriously f***ed up with that update. Emailed WD about this - not even sure how to contact the royalty apple since they won't talk to dirty plebs with older than 1 year old device over the phone.

I don’t understand why you are getting stick for this, it’s a fair point. It’s not always optional to upgrade — sometimes you need to for some feature of the OS some software is no longer supported on the old version and then you find that some other software is not supported by the new version :( and so on. The sums involved are not always trivial!
So today I have a message on my iPhone/iPad that iBooks libraries on ios 12 will only synch with macOS 14. I can upgrade my macOS to 14 but I am using FileMaker Pro 15 (I’ve been using it since FM 2) which is unsupported on macOS 14 and to upgrade would cost me £518.40 Inc. VAT which is a huge cost relative to, say, a new Mac Mini. Of course this syncing is not important enough to me to force me to upgrade but as @JonathanRyan inducated it is death by a thousand cuts eventually :(.

I’m really liking Mojave, significantly better than Sierra and High Sierra.! No sleep wake issues that I constantly had with both previous OS.. No issues with my external hard drives, but will keep an eye on that, will update in due course.

It doesn’t look like it at the moment. I use an offline version of Solar Accounts, but the developer decided a couple of years ago to try and push everybody to a subscription based online system which I don’t want. I moved from an online system to Solar because they were an offline package initially.

Hopefully, he’ll update it. Everything seems to work, it just takes 40-50 seconds to open an invoice or any other document.

Thanks for this piece of info - looks like I'll be steering clear of Mojave too.

The Solar Accounts subscription thing I could take, but its the full price per company that sticks in the craw. I've used the standalone version to manage small projects - can't that with the sub version.

Thanks for this piece of info - looks like I'll be steering clear of Mojave too.

The Solar Accounts subscription thing I could take, but its the full price per company that sticks in the craw. I've used the standalone version to manage small projects - can't that with the sub version.

The solar accounts dev had an update online within 24 hours of me reporting the problem. It’s all working fine now.

And he updated it for free.

Last edited:
So today I have a message on my iPhone/iPad that iBooks libraries on ios 12 will only synch with macOS 14. I can upgrade my macOS to 14 but I am using FileMaker Pro 15 (I’ve been using it since FM 2) which is unsupported on macOS 14 and to upgrade would cost me £518.40 Inc. VAT which is a huge cost relative to, say, a new Mac Mini. Of course this syncing is not important enough to me to force me to upgrade but as @JonathanRyan inducated it is death by a thousand cuts eventually :(.

I got that message on my iPhone and iPad. . It said “changes you make to your library on this device sync only to devices running iOS 12, macOS 10.14, or later”. I got the message before Mojave was actually released.

I have a MacBook on High Sierra and a Mac mini on El Capitan. Neither can be updated any further. Recently, I put some PDFs in the Mac Mini and they synced to all the other devices. So I’m not sure what they mean by changes.

I could only suggest you might be able to have dual boot setup with 10.14 and 10.13 if you only use filemaker only sparingly. I tried running OSX from external SSD a while ago (before it was installed inside the mini) and it was exactly as fast. It is a s*** solution but may be better than nothing?

I could only suggest you might be able to have dual boot setup with 10.14 and 10.13 if you only use filemaker only sparingly. I tried running OSX from external SSD a while ago (before it was installed inside the mini) and it was exactly as fast. It is a s*** solution but may be better than nothing?
Thanks, it isn’t a major problem for me as I could either not upgrade, run FMP on a MacBook I bought on TP for backup purposes like this. I could also run a virtual macOS 13 in Parallels (though that too needs an upgrade for Mojave) which I did for time in previous upgrades.
The best solution would be if Apple would build in an easy method to run virtual versions of earlier OSes and I can’t see that it would be a disadvantage to them since they hardly sell software anymore. It is possible to run MacOS in the open source VirtualBox but, unlike in Parallels, it is not simple and I have not tried it. :(.

It is possible to run MacOS in the open source VirtualBox but, unlike in Parallels, it is not simple and I have not tried it. :(.

It is dead simple using Virtual Box. I've got M$ and linux running and doing things like VW car diagnostics, etc. It takes like 10min to install win7.

The best solution would be if Apple would build in an easy method to run virtual versions of earlier OSes and I can’t see that it would be a disadvantage to them since they hardly sell software anymore.

You know they own Filemaker, right? :D

You know they own Filemaker, right? :D
Yes, I do but I’m not sure they know ;). After Apple took FM back in house and made them produce the (almost) useless Bento they seem to have forgotten FileMaker.if they produced a version like FM v2, ie non-relational, and sold at a sensible price it would sell like hot cakes because there has never been any thing comparable on the market. Calligra Kexi is claiming to be a rival but it is very clunky as yet though can be run on Linux, Windows and Mac.
Edit to add: and of course there is no equivalent of FileMaker Go to distribute your database on iPads and iPhones with Kexi and probably never will be.

Last edited:
It is dead simple using Virtual Box. I've got M$ and linux running and doing things like VW car diagnostics, etc. It takes like 10min to install win7.
Yes I use VirtualBox to run Linux and Windows on my Mac but running a virtual Mac on a Mac in VB is not straightforward. On Parallels it’s usually a doddle -x it will seek out the install files from the restore partition and install from threre or you can use the downloaded versions if you’ve kept them. I think Apple has changed the format of the installer with Mojave and made it more difficult :mad: but that doesn’t affect the older versions. Older versions run quite snappily on my ancient 2012 Mac Mini with 16gb ram:)

Edit. I though I would check again but Oracle VirtualBox still list MacOS guest on macOS as an “Experimental Feature”

Last edited:
Oh and I really should have checked but although all my important software works with Mojave.....my Wacom tablet doesn't :( It's nearly £300 for a new one. Or as I like to put it "let's find out how to uninstall Mojave".

Fun fact: a rush edit on a couple of headshots takes a lot longer using a mouse when you've used a tablet for 10 years.............

Oh and I really should have checked but although all my important software works with Mojave.....my Wacom tablet doesn't :( It's nearly £300 for a new one. Or as I like to put it "let's find out how to uninstall Mojave".

Fun fact: a rush edit on a couple of headshots takes a lot longer using a mouse when you've used a tablet for 10 years.............

Have you checked for updated drivers? My Wacom works perfectly.

Have you checked for updated drivers? My Wacom works perfectly.

Yeah. On the old drivers the pen sort of works for movement but not selecting. Downloaded the new drivers and it doesn't work at all - they say "no compatible tablet found". Did some Googling and Wacom no longer support it as it's a really old tablet (I mean why would they? They may just be able to sell me a new one.) Reinstalled the old drivers and it really doesn't really work - it acts like a mouse (relative motion) instead of a tablet (absolute) and doesn't do anything when the pen touches the tablet.

Ah well, here's to dual booting different versions of the OS............

I have to say external HDD issue is proving worse than it seemed. Whitin 12 hours every drive freezes.

Apple pushes all responsibility over to WD and WD is surprisingly quiet. Not good.

I am keeping MBP at 10.13 for now and might need to do all work on that instead. The mini is probably good to put on ebay anyway with intention to upgrade it.

I have to say external HDD issue is proving worse than it seemed. Whitin 12 hours every drive freezes.

Apple pushes all responsibility over to WD and WD is surprisingly quiet. Not good.

I am keeping MBP at 10.13 for now and might need to do all work on that instead. The mini is probably good to put on ebay anyway with intention to upgrade it.

Hmm. I'm sure it's a coincidence but Apple had a very public row with WD last year when they tried to buy bits of Toshiba's chip making business that Apple rely on. Anybody suggesting that WD drives suddenly behaving erratically under Apple's new OS is connected to that is clearly just spreading unsubstantiated rumours..........

In other news, the dock has broken this morning. Auto hide/appear (which I've used for about 15 years) has suddenly stopped working. Win10 has never looked so polished......

I've been running Mojave for a few weeks now, very stable; I skipped the High Sierra upgrade due to reading about issues on MacRumors people were having,

Hmm. I'm sure it's a coincidence but Apple had a very public row with WD last year when they tried to buy bits of Toshiba's chip making business that Apple rely on. Anybody suggesting that WD drives suddenly behaving erratically under Apple's new OS is connected to that is clearly just spreading unsubstantiated rumours..........

No idea about that, I am sure poor users have nothing to do with any of that so why should they be penalised.

I have a feeling I isolated the issue to control panels power saving "Put hard disks to sleep" option. With the option unticked the HDDs survived through the night which is the longest yet. Tell how this is not Apples bug.

If I feel like it I will re-enable that and only connect an older USB3 Toshiba ext HDD. If that fails too It the rotting apple 100%.

edit: no, that didn't help in the end. 10.14 is my worst update ever. Total f*****g nightmare.

Last edited:
OK, WD issue resolved by uninstalling just about every WD software out there.

But now I can't get my Canon 6300 printer to do anything at all! "The selected printer does not support this function. Change the printer and try again."

I currently have a mid 2015 macbook pro retina and i have never done any system updates is it worth doing and does it affect any apps for example photoshop ect and do you need to back up everything off the computer cheers

I currently have a mid 2015 macbook pro retina and i have never done any system updates is it worth doing and does it affect any apps for example photoshop ect and do you need to back up everything off the computer cheers
Always a good idea making a full backup incase you need to go back. I use carbon copy cloner to create an image of my Mac before doing the upgrade.

Also apart from Ps check all the software you have is comparable before upgrading.

Always a good idea making a full backup incase you need to go back. I use carbon copy cloner to create an image of my Mac before doing the upgrade.

Also apart from Ps check all the software you have is comparable before upgrading.

I have a network drive i can take all my images and what have you off on too but would i need to make a copy of the operating system aswell and how would i do that if i needed too

I have a network drive i can take all my images and what have you off on too but would i need to make a copy of the operating system aswell and how would i do that if i needed too
I use carbon copy cloner the clone the whole SSD, I can then restore to it if need. I think time machine backup would also work but not tried my self.

I use carbon copy cloner the clone the whole SSD, I can then restore to it if need. I think time machine backup would also work but not tried my self.
And does that get partitioned on the same ssd or on an external ssd/hd

Back