Beginner Mold on lenses

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I notice that checking a couple of adverts out recently that a few mention a small amount of mold on the lens

Do all old lenses suffer from this & is there away to prevent it?

Thanks in advance

It's fungus.

It tends to happen to any lens that isn't stored properly - low humidity.
A silica gel pack should be kept close to a lens if it is stored for a while, and the gel pack refreshed or changed every now and then.

Don't buy one if it has fungus, it's just not worth it,

You'll have noticed it on a 'few adverts' if you've been scouring for bargains.

It's not uncommon, but not something I'd be concerned about...

Because I don't have any affected lenses, and I won't be importing the problem by buying any.

Be aware that the mould spores can become airborne and spread to your other lenses.

Unless you're desperate to get hold of a bargain lens of a particular type, just avoid any mouldy lenses like the plague.

Any lens can suffer from it if the storage conditions are wrong. Quite a number of threads on various forums on the subject.

At one end of the scale some swear by special humidity-controlled cabinets for lens storage, whilst at the other there is me with my fingers crossed!

I just make sure I reduce opportunities for my lenses to get wet/damp, so avoid/manage situations where condensation could be a problem; always wipe them down and make sure they're dry before storage if they get wet for some reason, etc, but at the end of the day the fungus spores are all around all the time on everything and simply wait for the right (wrong?) conditions to grow.

Last edited:
Any lens can suffer from it if the storage conditions are wrong. Quite a number of threads on various forums on the subject.

At one end of the scale some swear by special humidity-controlled cabinets for lens storage, whilst at the other there is me with my fingers crossed!

I just make sure I reduce opportunities for my lenses to get wet/damp, so avoid/manage situations where condensation could be a problem; always wipe them down and make sure they're dry before storage if they get wet for some reason, etc, but at the end of the day the fungus spores are all around all the time on everything and simply wait for the right (wrong?) conditions to grow.

Sounds right (y) I've never had any problems over several decades, but then I don't shove things in a cardboard box and leave them in the loft/garage for years. Speaking of which, a garage studio or converted shed is probably not the best place to store high voltage electrical equipment either.

this is brilliant, i too being brand new have been scouring the cheaper end of the market and had seen one i really fancied, i thought i could have just stripped and cleaned it but i will give it a body swerve.

I have suffered from mould in my house but never on my lens. I am surprised lens can get it without the house suffering a lot. Or do some people store them in a shed or something?

Back