- Moles on fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
saw this on a country walk this evening- heard of it - never seen it before.....:shake:

decided to delete image
it was of interest as I live in the country - on second thoughts it may upset/offend some people

Last edited:
awww man.....wtf?

yeah i know...:shrug:

i think it was fracster or sawman who said this is quite a common practice in the rural communities

never ever seen it before myself.

edit...this came up on Google
""In brief the best explanation for this medieval act is......they are traditionally 'hung out' to let the passing landowner see that his steward of the countryside (farmer) is doing his job right.
""

Last edited:
Glad my gf never seen this picture, she would cry she loves all animals!

i was always told it was so the mole catcher could prove how many moles he had caught for payment from the farmer / Landowner.

Used to see these all the time when I was a kid, all sorts of animals, moles, rats, squirrels, rabbits etc depending on the season
not seen this since I was a teenager

Used to be a common sight and part of growing up in the country

(understand why you pulled the pic, not to every ones taste I suppose but part of my growing up and was just accepted)

Last edited:
Gamekeepers still do this with rooks, rabbits, magpies etc as it is supposed to ward others off. :puke:

saw this on a country walk this evening- heard of it - never seen it before.....:shake:

decided to delete image
it was of interest as I live in the country - on second thoughts it may upset/offend some people

Thats a shame - It is part of the countryside and life -

Was talking to a farmer about this the other day, he said he had to have 3 cows put to slaughter because they had stepped down mole holes (can be up to 18" deep) and broken legs! Not condoning this, but it's their money going down the hole, and expensive farm animals suffering.

Was talking to a farmer about this the other day, he said he had to have 3 cows put to slaughter because they had stepped down mole holes (can be up to 18" deep) and broken legs! Not condoning this, but it's their money going down the hole, and expensive farm animals suffering.

Same thing happens with ponies etc with badger sets, rabbit holes etc, way of life.

I cover this in my line of work, however i think the hanging out you catch is very old fashioned, i much prefer a quick shot on my mobile then i re bury the moles in the same tunnel they were caught from. my evidence for payment is on my phone.

just my thoughts ............... martyn.

I cover this in my line of work, however i think the hanging out you catch is very old fashioned, i much prefer a quick shot on my mobile then i re bury the moles in the same tunnel they were caught from. my evidence for payment is on my phone.

just my thoughts ............... martyn.

photoshop a couple of extra in for a larger payment ;)

Not seen it for a while, and never seen it with a mole.

Hmm.. I might string a chav up outside the studio tonight, see if it wards the others off.

decided to delete image

That is a shame, people need to understand what happens in the countryside, if we never did anything that might upset/offend people we would never do anything.

Used to see it loads as a kid, apparantly it's been done for hundreds of years to show that the molecatcher is doing his job as others have said

Last edited:
Never ceases to amaze me how rural people seem to think their "way of life" justifies this kind of thing.

If people didn't exist animals would be so much better off.

I grew up in a farming / gamekeeping environment and never thought anything of it. I still see it up here although not as often.

I grew up in a farming / gamekeeping environment and never thought anything of it. I still see it up here although not as often.

Likewise, never even gave it a thought
Not seen it for a long time though

It is about time people realised what life is, and has been all about in the countryside for millenia.
Some people find it distasteful, fine, but it beats the trees lined with Maccy D wrappers found the length and breadth of Britain.

It is a shame, John, that you feel the need to delete.

Paul

It is about time people realised what life is, and has been all about in the countryside for millenia.
Some people find it distasteful, fine, but it beats the trees lined with Maccy D wrappers found the length and breadth of Britain.

I don't find it particularly distasteful or offensive.

I'd just like to know why humans think they have more right to exist than a mole, and kill them for having the nerve to live where they are. Last time I checked, moles weren't systematically stripping the planet's resources or wrecking other animal's habitats for their own financial gain.

Still happens, bit old fashioned and very silly in the current climate. I tend to leave carcasses for the buzzards, seems more eco friendly.......:)

Never ceases to amaze me how rural people seem to think their "way of life" justifies this kind of thing.

It also never ceases to amaze me that city folk believe that they should dictate how rural people live. A couple of examples

City dweller buys house in the country near a farm and then complains about animal noises and farm/country smells

City folk banning hunting.

Also where do most people believe their meat comes from? Oh yeah thats right on a piece of styrofoam wrapped in cling film from the local supermarket. I think in general people do not want to know how meat is produced and just bury their heads in the sand because they can not or do not want to know as it may put them off eating it, but if they pretend not to know that is fine.

Just to add this is not a dig at you(y)

i was always told it was so the mole catcher could prove how many moles he had caught for payment from the farmer / Landowner.

You see this sometimes in the US with rattlesnake heads too. Like you said, it's proof that the person's done their job.

Don your tinhat Dave..........:D

I know your right, by the way, just expect some incoming.............

By the way Chris a great blog with some awesome photos.(y)

Don your tinhat Dave..........:D

I know your right, by the way, just expect some incoming.............

Hey-ho, thats my beliefs, if people don't like them:shrug: I may not believe their beliefs either.

It also never ceases to amaze me that city folk believe that they should dictate how rural people live. A couple of examples

City dweller buys house in the country near a farm and then complains about animal noises and farm/country smells

City folk banning hunting.
Also where do most people believe their meat comes from? Oh yeah thats right on a piece of styrofoam wrapped in cling film from the local supermarket. I think in general people do not want to know how meat is produced and just bury their heads in the sand because they can not or do not want to know as it may put them off eating it, but if they pretend not to know that is fine.

Just to add this is not a dig at you(y)

Man after my own heart (y)

I had a complaint once from a neighbour who's garden backed on to our fields where we had horses,

She was having a garden party and asked me if I could move my horses because when one of them coughed, they farted at the same time and she thought it was not right when she was having a garden party as it was upsetting for the guests !!!!!:LOL:

To say I pi**ed myself laughing and told her where to go in no uncertain terms as it was a "way of life in the countryside" and to either move or get used to it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with Dave about all he said but hunting. Having spent a lot of my life in the country, it isnt a simple split with regards to pro/anti-hunting, and most of the rural people I know were/are anti-hunting.

I completely agree with the concerns about city people making it such that rural folks are unable to continue to live in the country though.

More on topic: There was a similar post with moles up here fairly recently. It didnt, as far as I know, cause offence. It's a shame this one was taken down.

People don't go around just doing it because there bored - its pest control much the same as setting traps for rats..........only people think moles are nice furry little chaps.

Before anyone starts lets not turn this into a hunting and anti debate PLEASE

She was having a garden party and asked me if I could move my horses because when one of them coughed, they farted at the same time and she thought it was not right when she was having a garden party as it was upsetting for the guests !!!!!

Was her name Hyacinth by any chance? :cool:

One more vote for the countryside lobby btw, and I agree that it's a shame that the pic was removed.

I still see fox carcasses left out around the release pens by the Keeper, which is also fairly traditional, but for different reasons.

well i've read all the above posts
initially i reacted quickly as i felt i had potentially caused upset...however..

I saw this as an image of something I'd never seen before - therefore was curious
the image 0301 is still listed in my Gallery should you wish to see. Thank you.

[ i trust people CAN access my photo gallery here..?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back