- Moles on fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep just click on the little picture under your name on the left.
I used to spend a lot of playing in the fields and woods as a kids, just me and the dog, it was a common sight to see carcasses of various birds and mammals hanging on gates around the area, never really gave it much thought it was just a fact of life.
Don't see it often now but then there don;t seem to be so many locl gamekeepers about

can we just talk photography? why didn't you use a smaller aperture?

Victor is right, the image needed F11 or somewhere about that...........:)

It also never ceases to amaze me that city folk believe that they should dictate how rural people live. A couple of examples

City dweller buys house in the country near a farm and then complains about animal noises and farm/country smells

City folk banning hunting.

Also where do most people believe their meat comes from? Oh yeah thats right on a piece of styrofoam wrapped in cling film from the local supermarket. I think in general people do not want to know how meat is produced and just bury their heads in the sand because they can not or do not want to know as it may put them off eating it, but if they pretend not to know that is fine.

Just to add this is not a dig at you(y)

Well said. (y)

Man after my own heart (y)

I had a complaint once from a neighbour who's garden backed on to our fields where we had horses,

She was having a garden party and asked me if I could move my horses because when one of them coughed, they farted at the same time and she thought it was not right when she was having a garden party as it was upsetting for the guests !!!!!:LOL:

To say I pi**ed myself laughing and told her where to go in no uncertain terms as it was a "way of life in the countryside" and to either move or get used to it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I wondered why that horse keeps coughing:D:D

can we just talk photography? why didn't you use a smaller aperture?

Victor is right, the image needed F11 or somewhere about that...........:)

the sun was dropping - I dont like to go below 1/100 with *my hands*
and ISO was set at 200

but.. live and learn - you are right ... i should think before shooting
prob could have raised ISO with the D5000

thanks

Oh I don't know, the shallowish DoF adds something; although possibly slightly more if you had shot closer to the fence line, but that's just picking nits! :D

I like the back lighting. I also quite like the shallow DoF

Ooo goody a hypocrite thread (y)
lets get two things straight
1) I kill stuff for a living
2) people pay me to do so, so they don't get their hand dirty ;)

So I would ask all the "anti's" and bleeding heart townies
where would you draw the line, huh? :shrug:

Fleas Well I guess thats OK the bites itch somewhat
Bed bugs Oh yes, definitely! I wouldn't want you having a sleepless night
Ants bloody things all over the food and when they fly well bugger!
Wasps Ooo nasty bastids these sting and as 3/4 of the population claim to be allergic and go into anaphalactic shock, no they have to go!
Cockroaches well they are pretty harmless really carry very little disease
just tend to eat the stuff the untidy bastids drop on the floor thats all.

Mice Cute furry little things (y)
Then they get in YOUR HOUSE crap all over the work tops eat any food you left out.
Rats Just large cute furry things but eat even more so than mice and their droppings
are also bigger. don't worry, all these anti bact. sprays will take care of the salmonella
and Weils disease ( will it? Hmmm)
Squirrels Awwwwwwwwwww cute...............
less than a week to strip the wiring in your roof space, Fire risk? well
maybe thats an exaggeration, bu they sure as hell will eat your stuffed toys Christmas decorations and keep you awake at 3 am
bounding around with their mates
But Hey, they were there long before your house was.
Moles cute furry little things, you hardly ever see these, until of course they come up in your prize lawn / cricket pitch / bowling green
Rabbits ( did you you there are 2 separate laws governing the control of these?
And you can be fined if you don't deal with them, should they be on your property?)
Foxes, Urban foxes ( Ill pick on these as this is the type that most of you are likely to see)
are now being accused of eating children ( thats a plus ;) )
I however don't beleive that story for one minute for various reasons.
However you "good life" folks that want chickens for the kids to collect the eggs for breakfast,
how many of you have seen the devastation caused by a fox in a hen house?
or the front torn off a pet rabbit / guinea pig cage with little Johnny in tears
when he goes to feed said rabbit and finds bits?
Ok so there you have it! make up your own mind where you draw the line
but just think for a minute when you do (y)

OP sorry you felt it necessary to pull your images though:(

OP sorry you felt it necessary to pull your images though

Not *necessary* - just an appreciation that some may be offended

anyway - thank you to all that said it was acceptable and showed a facet of country-life that we townies have quickly forgotten

Spot on post Cobra.

I will also point out that I am originally a townie and grew up by Heathrow, even as a kid I way preferred life down here. I spent every school holiday down here (New Forest) and fortunately moved down at 16 and have never looked back. I have also done some vermin control, and what is edible is eaten. Rabbit sweet and sour and squirrel burgers are 2 of mine and the kids favourites

Rabbit sweet and sour and squirrel burgers are 2 of mine and the kids favourites

too much info there.....:LOL::LOL:

though in Oz did have *skippy* steaks
and in Korea had "bow-wow" BBQ............:D

Cobra - I havn't laughed so much in ages :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thank you.

Great post mate (y)

So true, so very true :clap:

Our local pub serves squirrel, though never tried it I like a lot of meat.

Great post mate (y)

Try it, it is really nice

Spot on post Cobra.

Thanks (y)

Great post mate (y)

Glad to have made you smile (y)

Quick question...............
Whats got a hazel nut in every bite? ( you of a certain age will remember the TV ads ;))

Squirrel **** of course :D

Last edited:
I'm sorry you took it down. Photography is a social documentary on all things and if it can't be seen people don't learn and understand.

What would have happened in the Vitnam war if photographers (on both sides) hadn't shown the true horror of war.

Unpleasant photos are still photos.

On a personal note I'm looking forward to the Pheasant season, plus the wild duck and geese.

I'm a semi rural townie but I understand the ways of the countryside and have no qualms about a bit of plucking and drawing.

I live in a town which is a facimilie of many others, with an increasing amount of chavs.
However, I was always encouraged to discover the countryside and taken to the countryside as a youngster as much as the seaside and all that kind of stuff. I only have to travel no more than a 10 minutes drive to be in a rual area.

I always respect the country way of life, even fox-hunting. Foxes no longer have any natural predators and hounds ripping one apart was much nearer to nature than a shotgun that may not finish it off properly. Now there are foxes in towns and people complaining about pets etc being attacked and some sort of pest controller should be employed by local councils to deal with them.

I know many farmers and landowners are much more better off than me, and many are viewed as snobs, but country folk knows what work best in the countryside and townies know what work best in towns and cities. Should leave it like that IMHO.

These 'Posh' landowners and farmers are also the main employer in most rural areas and are part of the national economy.

They generally know what they are doing, leave them to it.

Grey squirrel rear legs do taste sublime. Even though we kill the murderous little buggers...........:)

Though, one hates to admit, they are very photogenic.

Grey squirrel rear legs do taste sublime. Even though we kill the murderous little buggers...........:)

Though, one hates to admit, they are very photogenic.

Absolutely. As is Reynard; but it's not going to stop me trying to slaughter the little sod whenever I get the chance!

I live in a town which is a facimilie of many others, with an increasing amount of chavs.
However, I was always encouraged to discover the countryside and taken to the countryside as a youngster as much as the seaside and all that kind of stuff. I only have to travel no more than a 10 minutes drive to be in a rual area.

I always respect the country way of life, even fox-hunting. Foxes no longer have any natural predators and hounds ripping one apart was much nearer to nature than a shotgun that may not finish it off properly. Now there are foxes in towns and people complaining about pets etc being attacked and some sort of pest controller should be employed by local councils to deal with them.

I know many farmers and landowners are much more better off than me, and many are viewed as snobs, but country folk knows what work best in the countryside and townies know what work best in towns and cities. Should leave it like that IMHO.

These 'Posh' landowners and farmers are also the main employer in most rural areas and are part of the national economy.

They generally know what they are doing, leave them to it.

Fox hunting has never stopped - just changed it's name - things still go on the same way as they did before and alot of people do not know that.

Hunts are still thriving even more so now, but as you say the "urban" fox is becoming more popular as rthey are being driven out of the countryside.:shrug:

They will have to start culling these soon as the numbers grow, to see how they do it will be very interesting. :thinking:

They'll probably not try to cull them, just capture them and release them into the countryside, where they can then run back to urban areas, the cycle completes. Job Security ya see. ;)

It seems this thread somewhat polarised folk. I think the OP showed the most consideration deleting the pic. I don't agree with some farming methods, but Im afraid I know nothing about mole problems, so will reserve judgement on this issue. It seems that some others should do that. 'It's always been done like that' doesn't mean it's right nor that it's wrong.

It seems this thread somewhat polarised folk. I think the OP showed the most consideration deleting the pic. I don't agree with some farming methods, but Im afraid I know nothing about mole problems, so will reserve judgement on this issue. It seems that some others should do that. 'It's always been done like that' doesn't mean it's right nor that it's wrong.

He didn't show consideration he bent to the will of others.
It is no different to the argument about taking pictures of children means you are a P**** so don't do that either.
As I said earlier photography is not and never should be something that only shows life through rose tinted glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back