Monitor and connection

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry for the simple, probably stupid questions but...
1 Can anyone recommend a good, cheap (£2-300!!) monitor for editing photos to be used with a laptop
2 DOes it make any difference how you connect above monitor to laptop (USB, HDMI....)?? Assuming that the appropriate connections are on both!

You may have guessed I am not an IT expert!
TIA
John

Do you know the display resolution of your laptop? What size monitor do you want?

Most laptops and nearly all monitors have HDMI so that's the most convenient. More recent laptops and monitors will do DisplayPort over USB-C which is another option but you won't see any difference in the results for your use.

I use a Benq PD2700q and am very happy with it.

100% sRGB and rec 709 gamut coverage.

If your laptop can output QHD you're laughing.

Even if it can't you could upgrade to a pc later on and enjoy the enhanced resolution.

The Dell Ultrasharp range are a good starting point - they come in a range of sizes, from 24" upwards.

Benq are ok, ditto Dell. I have a gigabyte screen that's qhd and 100% sRGB which I like, as well as a Dell U2412M that's also good but 10 years old.

Do you know the display resolution of your laptop? What size monitor do you want?

Most laptops and nearly all monitors have HDMI so that's the most convenient. More recent laptops and monitors will do DisplayPort over USB-C which is another option but you won't see any difference in the results for your use.
Cheers, I believe that the resolution is 1920x 1080 (that's what's recommended)

For 1920 x 1080 laptop output any cheap monitor will do, just check the connections, it's not tricky . . . I paid about £120.00 for mine. They are all very good. I used a JVC 1920 x 1080 for my 1920 x 1080 output cctv. Just to say my (new!) laptop output is 4k so I bought a 4k monitor. I then accidentally broke my 1920 x 1080 cctv monitor so knowing my 4k monitor works with my 4k output laptop and cctv I bought the same 4k monitor again for my cctv as laptop backup!!! It all works just fine. I don't use expensive connecting cables.

Last edited:
It's tracking that tells the site where the viewer came from originally, likely a link from an email or advert.
I suspected as much. eBay does exactly the same thing so I make a point of shortening any URL I post.

Back