Monitor Calibration Huey vs Spyder

R

RobbieW

I know this is a topic that is asked many times, but I have had a little search and can't find the answer to this.

I am tempted to get my monitor calibrated correctly as when I view images in Photoshop or paintshop pro or through Windows picture viewer I get totally different colours.

The first question is if I bought a Huey thingy or a Spyder thingy would I get one consistent profile which could be applied to all applications? and if so which one of the two is better?

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

February's DSLRUser has a short review of these things, I was tempted to buy one myself after spending a week or so fiddling with Gamma settings and loading colour profiles, only to go back to original settings. Either the Huey or the Spyder2Express (similar price, around £60) seemed to be acceptable.

I still havent bought one, and think I'll try to get a cheap one off evilbay to prove it will better the settings I've got now.

Rob, if you're getting different results in different applications that is most likely due to having different colour profiles set up in each application. I believe that Window Picture viewer will use your monitor profile. In Photoshop you can set a multitude of profiles. So if, for example, you have Photoshop set to view using Adobe RGB 1998 when you look at an image in photoshop it will appear different to when you view it in Picture viewer. Try setting PS to use your monitor profile.

Fist thing.....Do not set photoshop to your monitor profile.....

The problem is not with Photoshop. it is with the other programe that is not colour managed.

When you look at images in Photoshop with a correctly profiled monitor and a correct image profile and set up correctly in Photoshop you should be seeing the image colours correctly.

When moving to another application tat is not colour managed you will get different results.

Calibrate using a Spyder2 or huey (I used the Spyder2 Suite) then set your camera to aRGB and Photoshop to aRGB. This will give a nice wide gamut for you to print. If you want to save for the web, convert the image to sRGB as the web uses the sRGB profile. sRGB is not the best but is fine for most uses should you prefer to use this instead.

Monitor profiles are not the same as image profiles.

Ok now I am confussed, does a Spyder or Huey generate a monitor profile or an image profile?

When you say A RGB - I assume you mean apple Apple RGB, does it matter if I use "Apple RGB" or "Apple RGB (1998)?

Also once I have an image in Photoshop, how do I convert it to another profile?

Thanks for all the replies, please excuse my dumb questions - I am still learning!

I think...
the Spyder/Huey hardware will set your monitor profile (cos they dont create an image), the image profile is set by the camera settings.

aRGB is usually taken to mean AdobeRGB - not sure what difference "(1998)" makes

To set CS2 up in a particular profile, go to Edit/Color Settings (before opening an image)
To convert an image in CS2, open the image then go to Edit/Convert to Profile

If any of this is utter b****x then pls correct, cos I'm learning it too! (y)

RedUn has correctly stated all that I'll just repeat.

The calibration device only creates a monitor profile so that what you are seeing on the screen is an accurate reflection of what is meant to be shown. Monitor profiles and image profiles are different.

The image profile is normally embedded at the point of shooting or at the point of opening in RAW/Photoshop. I usually set mine to aRGB (which is correctly stated above as Adobe RGB 1998).

Set up your camera and Photoshop to this colour space.

Any probs let me know. I too am pretty new to colour profiles but having bought a Spyder2 I do see a big difference in what is being printed from my Epson R2400 - much more accurate colours.

EOS_JD et al - How often should I calibrate my monitor then? Weekly/Monthly/Once & Forget? I've never really bothered with profiles before, just accepted the defaults and been pretty lucky I suppose. I would be interested to try it, just to see if there is a difference, but the thought of paying £60-ish to find its not much better puts me off. [/tightwad mode]

PS should I set the aRGB profile on my printer (Epson 1290) as well? Currently its set to sRGB.

I only bought mine a month ago and really you need to calibrate monthly so I'm getting the reminders I need to do this again. i just moved house so no time at the moment!

If your work is not critical (ie you don't sell your work) then if you are happy with what you have don't mess with the settings.

The printer should have a profile made for the printer/paper that you put in it.

I use an Epson R2400 and downloaded a profile for Ilford Gallerie Smooth pearl from their web site. Don't use aRGB or sRGB as a printer profile. You set this up in the Print Setup page.

If you are getting good results though, i wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Back