Monitor Calibration

Name
Gregory
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Morning,
Happy Bank Holiday!!
So I am having an absolute nightmare with my new PC.

I have brought a Data Color Spyder X.

Lightroom, Photoshop, Camera are all set up to work space and display Adobe RGB so when I edit the images to perfection on my machine and transfer them to my Ipad or Iphone they look washed out.

Its clearly something that I am doing incorrectly but I am unsure what.

I have attached a few images so you can see what I mean as my end they look all ok.Gregory Hicks-7 copy.jpgIMG_2570 copy.jpgIMG_2707 copy.jpgIMG_2755 copy.jpgIMG_2758 copy.jpg

If I remember correctly you can calibrate your iPad too with a Spyder system. I know its frustrating but unless every device is calibrated your on a hiding to nowhere.

I decided to change to X-rite when I lost all my kit in a fire in 2019. I find the x-rite simpler and in many ways more accurate.

My biggest problem is that Photoshop and Lightroom are calibrated and look the same on screen but when printed the same image comes out too red in Photoshop but bang on in Lightroom. :confused:

PS they look fine on my Macbook

Last edited:
Purely FWIW
On this Android phone they do not look washed out though possibly a tad muted....but is that due to your exporting the final jpeg with embedded aRGB profile and not an sRGB one. This is viewing them using Chrome browser.

If you are only seeing them washed out on iPhone & iPad, them perhaps this issue lays in those device settings?

If I remember correctly you can calibrate your iPad too with a Spyder system. I know its frustrating but unless every device is calibrated your on a hiding to nowhere.

I decided to change to X-rite when I lost all my kit in a fire in 2019. I find the x-rite simpler and in many ways more accurate.

My biggest problem is that Photoshop and Lightroom are calibrated and look the same on screen but when printed the same image comes out too red in Photoshop but bang on in Lightroom. :confused:

PS they look fine on my Macbook

Maybe I am expecting to much perfection then! I have just changed from a MacBook and not really sure what made me bring that decision to my life! haha

Purely FWIW
On this Android phone they do not look washed out though possibly a tad muted....but is that due to your exporting the final jpeg with embedded aRGB profile and not an sRGB one. This is viewing them using Chrome browser.

If you are only seeing them washed out on iPhone & iPad, them perhaps this issue lays in those device settings?

I am just going to go back and check my exporting setting as I have a preset up for this so this might also be another issue so thank you for highlighting this!

Would you say its best to work in sRGB or aRGB? I dont do any printing its all digital for my own use.

Last edited:
Purely FWIW

Ok now I am even more confused.

When I change the setting to not save with the aRGB profile to Jpeg they go really washed out.
When I leave it with the aRGB they look fine my to me.

Bank Holiday Struggles :)

I am just going to go back and check my exporting setting as I have a preset up for this so this might also be another issue so thank you for highlighting this!

Would you say its best to work in sRGB or aRGB? I dont do any printing its all digital for my own use.
IMO and understanding.

The final embedded profile in the jpeg should be the one to suit to intended display 'target'. For printing, sRGB unless you are sure that aRGB can be fully utilised by the printer. For display......not everyone will be viewing them on an aRGB compliant monitor......let alone a web browser that can recognise any profile though most/all an now display sRGB.

PS I know nowt about Mac display configuration only PC ;)

Last edited:
Ok sooooo how is this one looking? sRGB Test.jpg

There is a debate whether to work in RGB or sRGB at the processing stage. Either can work, RGB can squeeze more detail out but its minimal if we're being honest.

However, once you save your final edit, if its to be seen online then you should be saving it in the sRGB space. There is sometimes a minimal colour shift but usually you're ok. I recently had an issue with big colours shifts after I bought a new computer and PS had changed a setting unbeknown to me, but in the end it was a simple 2 click fix - once I spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about!

On your last shot, the greens definitely look a little darker and more saturated - if I'm being honest, I preferred the original

Mike

That last one looks a bit oversaturated to me, especially in the greens. Like Mike, I prefer the original.

I would go through it all and change to sRGB throughout, your frustration will be eliminated.

Ok, im going back through it all again tommorow and will post another, fingers crossed we will be golden ;-)

thanks for your help sofar

I work in Prophoto RGB for LR and Adobe RGB for PS and the final edited TIFF image. When I need a JPEG image for projection, iPad etc. I export from LR setting the size and converting to sRGB. My printer has an Adobe RGB performance so I get the best for this but my sRGB JPEG's will match the other media.

If you display an Adobe RGB image on a device which does not manage colours or is sRGB anyway, they will look desaturated. I can remember some years ago at my club one of the most experienced photographers was submitting his images for projection in Adobe RGB and because his images were washed out he complained about our projector. However, we explained that he needed to convert to sRGB but he refused. He was still winning the print competitions. The issue was then resolved as the competition software we used was upgraded to read the colour profile and convert Adobe RGB to sRGB automatically. However, it is best not to assume that other will convert for you.

Dave

Last edited:
Ok, So im back and busting this photo.... the river my end has a slight blue/purple tinge to it.

How does this look to you?

bk.jpg

I work in Prophoto RGB for LR
You don't have any option. ProPhoto is Lightrooms default colour space and you cannot change it.. Adobe have several recommended practices for transferring files between their programs. I no longer use any Adobe programs, so I'm speaking from memory.
and Adobe RGB for PS and the final edited TIFF image. When I need a JPEG image for projection, iPad etc. I export from LR setting the size and converting to sRGB. My printer has an Adobe RGB performance so I get the best for this but my sRGB JPEG's will match the other media.

If you display an Adobe RGB image on a device which does not manage colours or is sRGB anyway, they will look desaturated. I can remember some years ago at my club one of the most experienced photographers was submitting his images for projection in Adobe RGB and because his images were washed out he complained about our projector. However, we explained that he needed to convert to sRGB but he refused. He was still winning the print competitions. The issue was then resolved as the competition software we used was upgraded to read the colour profile and convert Adobe RGB to sRGB automatically. However, it is best not to assume that other will convert for you.

Dave

Back