Monitor for a MBP?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I currently have an older iMac and a newer MBP and because of changes at work, won’t need them both. I am thinking of selling the iMac to (part) fund a monitor to link up to my MBP.

Any suggestions on a decent one? Currently have a 27” iMac so something similar size would be nice.

Looked at the LG that Apple sell and the reviews seem very mixed. Any other suggestions?

TIA

Have a look at Dell's Ultrasharp range, like this one. I have two from this range and they're excellent

Keep the iMac and use it as monitor or in target mode.
This will extend the laptop greatly.

I use a Benq SW2700PT monitor with my MBP. I find them a good combination.

Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions so far. Will take a browse.

@Kodiak Qc, did think about that but thought that a monitor might have a better screen than the (2012 model) iMac display. not checked in fairness so if anyone has any thoughts/eperience on that, let me know :)

I have a late 2012 iMac 27 and honestly can't fault the display. If there's a way to use it with the MBP, I think that's what I'd do.

I use the LG Ultrafine (purchased from Apple) with my MBP and have been very happy with it. The early models had a few issues with shielding, but that has now been resolved.

Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions so far. Will take a browse.

@Kodiak Qc, did think about that but thought that a monitor might have a better screen than the (2012 model) iMac display. not checked in fairness so if anyone has any thoughts/eperience on that, let me know :)

Using the iMac would be my suggestion too.

If you are happy editing on your iMac screen now then it will be no different. Simply the cost of a thunderbolt cable to give it a go....

Phil

I use a Benq SW2700PT monitor with my MBP. I find them a good combination.

I also have have the SW2700PT and find it excellent. I don't use it on a mbp though, I use it on Windows. I find the ability to switch between sRGB and AdobeRGB with the press of a button.

You say a "newer MBP" ... but is that the "new" design with USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 or the older with the wider mix of ports. That might direct your search a bit.

The Apple screen you mention obviously plugs in with a single cable and provides power to your laptop as well as allowing upstream connections to (say) external HDDs and while there are a few alternatives (there may be more but a few options here -- https://www.imore.com/best-usb-c-monitors-mac ) it does simplify connecting and disconnecting your laptop.

Thanks all, some good suggestions.

I notice that there is a new BenQ coming out/just out - the SW271. more expensive, but some good initial reviews.

on the MBP, is it a newer one with USB-C, so something I was thinking about already but wasn't sure how much of a pain it would really be.

Using the old iMac? still definitely a possibility (not sure that is even grammatically correct :D ). I am getting a new laptop from work that will be Windows though and not sure I could get the iMac to act as a screen for that as well?

Back