Monitor for Editing Photos

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an Asus N56VM I7 Laptop running W7 and LR4.4. The colours are awful, So I was looking at one of these as an external monitor

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...-hd-23-led-monitor-with-mhl-21408588-pdt.html

Does anyone know of these and are they accurate when it comes to colours and can they be adjusted/calibrated?

If anyone knows of any other reasonably priced monitors that can be plugged into the above laptop I would be grateful for your input

I have an Asus N56VM I7 Laptop running W7 and LR4.4. The colours are awful, So I was looking at one of these as an external monitor

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...-hd-23-led-monitor-with-mhl-21408588-pdt.html

Does anyone know of these and are they accurate when it comes to colours and can they be adjusted/calibrated?

If anyone knows of any other reasonably priced monitors that can be plugged into the above laptop I would be grateful for your input
I have that one and it is great, but as others has said get a calibrator but first of all turn the light down to about 50% it comes way to bright

H

Last edited:
What's your budget. That's important. If it's only £250 then your choices are fairly limited.

Sorry Neil, but "anything with a IPS panel" is pretty poor advice. I've seen some truly horrible screens with IPS panels... and one of the best screens I've ever used was a S-PVA panel. It's not as cut and dried as that. There's far more to what makes a monitor good than it's panel. The monitor I'm using now shares a panel with the Dell U3014, but they are nothing alike.

OP: Give me a budget and I'll give you some advice based on actual experience... there's not much I've not actually had hands on experience with.... except the truly bargain basement stuff... I'd rather shove wasps up my arse than use utter rubbish.

That monitor you link to pretty poor BTW. Incredibly cheaply built with terrible ergonomics with very limited adjustment. It's the budget IPS variant (H-IPS)... pay no attention to those contrast ratio claims of 50,000: 1... that's just stupid... the human eye can't even cope with contrast like that. I have a report here from one I tested (and the I2367FM), and the best both could manage was 390ish:1.. it went up to 800:1 with one of it's silly preset modes but then the gamma was just a million miles out. 50K to 1 is just nonsense. I have a £2500 screen here and it manages around 900:1.. which is regarded as excellent, so if you believe a £120 screen can manage 50,000:1 then go ahead :) Plus... once calibrated, you should really have a contrast ratio of around 600:1 if you want accuracy.

Its backlight bleed is poor too.. look at a pure black screen from any angle except dead on and it glows a blue/white colour. All IPS screens do this to some extent BTW... they may have great viewing angles for colour and gamma.. but terrible for blacks (S-PVA is still the king for black levels). However, the I2369 was particularly bad for this.

I can't recommend this screen. I've no idea why someone in here recommend calibrating it either, because I tried... and it wouldn't. It missed gamma by 0.8... which is a country mile, and never calibrated to the same white point twice - Delta E was never lower than 3 or 4... which is astoundingly bad for a IPS screen. I tried with the i1 Display Pro, The DTP94 running Monaco XP, and also with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro. It's only £129 for a 1080P IPS monitor... ever heard the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"? Well... there ya go. Sorry to the person that has one.... if you're happy with it, I'm happy for you... but Chris... don't do it.

You get what you pay for.

Really.. trust me.... Dell U2412M. It's around £90 more... but they're night and day in comparison. The Dell calibrated beautifully for me, is better built and is a proper 24" (1920x1200 - 16:10) not a crappy 16:9... it's just absolutely worth the extra. If you're on a budget the U2412M should be your default go to screen.. don't even think of anything else (avoid very early ones used though.... problem with whites being yellow... long since fixed).

I was looking around £300.00. Photography is a hobby for me so I couldn't really justify any more than that really.

Using derogatory and patronising terms "someone in here"

You must have been very upset getting the sack from jackanory going by that reply, you are still making things up

That "someone in here" is happy with that screen and it calibrated just fine WITHOUT the issues you claim

Strange how if your view is right, there are NO reports anywhere on the net that come anywhere near your opinion

Maybe you have copyright to your jackanory :)

loads of stuff
That'll be the definitive answer then, here endeth the thread.

more stuff
stop being so sensitive. He just doesn't like your monitor. He might have said it slightly differently but was there any need for that?

Look at how Neil reacted, an equally blunt put down met objectively and resulting in something potentially constructive.

That'll be the definitive answer then, here endeth the thread.

stop being so sensitive. He just doesn't like your monitor. He might have said it slightly differently but was there any need for that?

Look at how Neil reacted, an equally blunt put down met objectively and resulting in something potentially constructive.

Oh ok, like there must be 1000's of monitors out there only he knows all about this one
I'm not beings sensitive :runaway: I happen to think that is a very lopsided opinion and far from the truth, from just another Dell fan boy

That's if I'm allowed an opinion[/quote]

Last edited:
Can't be bothered ................

Last edited:
Can someone just give me a list of three potentials fitting my budget and I'll take it from there thanks.:ty:

Oh ok, like there must be 1000's of monitors out there only he knows all about this one
I'm not beings sensitive :runaway: I happen to think that is a very lopsided opinion and far from the truth, from just another Dell fan boy

That's if I'm allowed an opinion

You are allowed an opinion, yes. I'm actually NOT giving opinion though. I'm just letting the OP know what I found when I put that screen through it's paces with 3 of most widely respected desktop colorimeters around.

We get stuff sent all the time on approval. Cameras, lenses, lighting, computer gear... we evaluate it independently and decide whether it's worth investing in. We get stuff sent direct from the main distributors... we get stuff sent from wholesalers and authorised re-sellers. We get people trying to tout for a large corporate orders all the time. Any time we feel we may want to obtain something, we just call, and stuff arrives. They know that if we like it, we'll probably buy it, and go with them if the price is good, and when it's an order for 50 or 60 items at a time, people tend to go to great lengths to ensure you buy from them. The next time we need to make a capital investment, we have a pretty comprehensive set of data to make judgements by as a result. Same with cameras and lenses. I could probably get test images we've taken with most Nikkor and Canon lenses you care to mention too.

The AOC screens in this price range are massively popular... because they're so cheap... and because they get hawked around by the likes of PC Word and Currys, so why are you amazed I've happened across them before?

We've been sent various derivatives of that screen, both badged as AOC, and re-badged by a couple of our main contractors who supply IT gear. I do not have experience of every screen, no... but I have of a great many.. far more than most. If I have not, I will say so. I am not a Dell fanboy. I do not own a Dell screen.. well I do... but it's a cheap 4:3 screen I use for as a secondary for toolbars etc... but may main screens are not Dell, nor have they ever been.

I recommend the U2412M because it represents the best value for money. If there's something out there to beat it at that price range, I've yet to see it.

I'm sorry you got upset because I don't like your monitor. I think you need some perspective though: I have not cast a slur upon your name, family, virtue or character. I merely said I tested your screen and found it wanting... badly. Had I any idea you had such a strong emotional bond with your electronic appliances I may have been more diplomatic.

CMC1

Right.. for £300.

I'm not bothering with number of inputs etc. I'll leave that to you to decide.. a quick Google will tell you that. I'm just going off image quality once calibrated and nothing more. Check if you need HDMI or if you need to play HD content from a blu-ray player, as you'll need a HDCP compliant monitor and graphics card.

Dell U2410 is an oldie, but a goodie. Can be had for around that price now. 1920x1200 16:10... wide gamut. Great screen, but had a fairly aggressive anti-glare coating... kind of shimmers when you move your head around when looking bright areas. You get used to it.. but if it sounds like something that may freak you out.. think carefully. True 8bit panel.
Dell U2412M. Under budget.... but a great screen in every respect. E-IPS panel works well (E does not stand for economy or indicate being inferior despite what nonsense you may read on the interwebz :)) Turn off dynamic contrast if you get one though... it's horrible.... for all the same reasons I gave with my review of the AOC screen above. Dell's claims of 2,000,000: 1 are even more outrageous than AOC's... it's b****x... around 730:1 would be in the ball park once turned off and calibrated (for a new screen). The one thing that lets almost all monitors of this price range down though is the panels are nearly always 6bit +AFRC dithering... which basically means it isn't truly 24 million colours like a true 8 bit panel. This is the case for almost all screens in this price range though (including the AOC).
LG IPS231P-BN. The one to go for if you ARE on a really tight budget. Clean output... a bit cheaply made... but as with the AOC... stuff has to give at this price and ergonomics is always the first for the chopping block when building to a price. Much better back light control than the AOC though, and seemed to calibrate consistently whereas the AOC couldn't hit the same white point twice.

Asus VS24AHL Nice ergonomics, great panel.. true 8bit. 16:10. Again.. switch off the bloody dynamic contrast though. Nice, smooth anti-glare... probably the best I've seen at this price range. Later models may have a semi-glossy screen though... same panel.. different treatment is all.

Sub £300... that's pretty much all I would (or can) recommend. Others I've used at this price point are either poor, or just not worth the saving.

The best screen listed above is without doubt the Dell U2410, but it's right at the top end of your budget, and if you want a calibrator too (highly recommended) I'd seriously consider the U2412 and a Xrite colormunki.

Last edited:
Hang on a G D F M
If you refer to me as "someone in here" I will take offence, like you can manage to use others posters names with no problem but wished to put me down

You do it again with your patronising
Had I any idea you had such a strong emotional bond with your electronic appliances I may have been more diplomatic.

WTF and HFDY :mad:

One thing I do have to say I got wrong is that my model is not the one in the op's link
,it is still a AOC

Last edited:
Can someone just give me a list of three potentials fitting my budget and I'll take it from there thanks.:ty:

i Too went from a laptop to an external monitor (albeit with a new pc too)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS234V-PN-AEK-23-inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B008F7GW2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385497744&sr=8-3&keywords=lg 23ea63v

i have this and its fantastic. its calibrated with a datacolour spyder 2. prints come out 100% perfectly matched using sRGB profile.

nice big screen and not expensive either

what more can you ask for? :)

Nick

Last edited:
Hang on a G D F M
If you refer to me as "someone in here" I will take offence, like you can manage to use others posters names with no problem but wished to put me down

You drink a lot of coffee?

I just recalled reading someone's comments further up the thread... I didn't recall a name... I said "Someone else in here" or words to that effect. You really need to get a grip.

You do it again with your patronising
Had I any idea you had such a strong emotional bond with your electronic appliances I may have been more diplomatic.

That WAS intentional, yes. I found it amusing that you get offended when someone says your monitor is crap. It's a cheap consumer device. Would you get upset if I slagged off your kettle, or your car stereo? Who cares?

WTF and HFDY :mad:

Sorry.. I only speak English. Can someone translate?

One thing I do have to say I got wrong is that my model is not the one in the op's link
,it is still a AOC

So after all that, the model we were discussing isn't even yours?? How embarrassing for you. :)

Last edited:
i Too went from a laptop to an external monitor (albeit with a new pc too)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS234V-PN-AEK-23-inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B008F7GW2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385497744&sr=8-3&keywords=lg 23ea63v

i have this and its fantastic. its calibrated with a datacolour spyder 2. prints come out 100% perfectly matched using sRGB profile.

nice big screen and not expensive either

what more can you ask for? :)

Nick

That's essentially the same LG screen I mention above, but with a more basic stand and controls/inputs. Great budget screen.

That's essentially the same LG screen I mention above, but with a more basic stand and controls/inputs. Great budget screen.

i find its great, yes the stand is a little flimsy and wobbles a tad when the screen is turned on and off but once its turned on it doesnt move and is really nice to look at. colours are reproduced nicely and i can look at it for a few hours at a time with no strain on my eyes at all. all that and the prints are perfect (albeit with monthly calibration)

On checking the spec in full, mine is AOC i2367fh with 8 bit AH-IPS panel similar to the Dell ultrasharp U2713.
my mistake and why I no doubt have better performance

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies and Pookeyhead thanks for going into so much detail. There is a lot to consider and pay out :crying: in order to get the correct colours. Obviously I will have to invest in a calibration tool too!!!

Not necessarily a huge amount of cash.. there are some great budget screens out there like the LG monitors mentioned above. Just bear in mind that no matter how great your screen is, it's all for nothing unless you calibrate it, so that adds to the cost as you say.

All screens need calibrating to be accurate. As the screen I'm on now is designed to BE calibrated... it's actually terrible if I reset the LUT to factory defaults... it's very green and far too bright... and this is a £2500 monitor. If it wasn't calibrated, I'd actually be better off with a factory calibrated Dell U2410 at £250 :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris - for what it's worth I recently went through the same dilemma and spent hours researching and procrastinating - before I ended up buying a used Dell U2412M from a popular auction website for £180 inc P&P... the 24" at 1900 x 1200 works perfectly for Lightroom, (and I guess for any processing software) with plenty of space for a nice large main image with the toolbars at the sides. I don't have a calibrator, (yet) but I reset to factory default and used some on-line calibration guides to do the best I can, viewing edited images on other machines / monitors suggests I'm not too far off, haven't printed anything yet though...

I'd recommend it based on my limited experience!

Rob

**Edit - now I'm going to try one of the online calibration pages suggested by redsnappa above! Thanks for the links!**

Last edited:
Lagom is the best should you have no other means of calibrating.

None of these online calibration sites will help you with white point though. You can get gamma close, and luminance... but white point is too subjective unless you have a means of measuring it.

My old Dell IPS (2007WFP) appears to have gone kapow over the weekend, so probably need a new main monitor to partner my existing Dell 2007FP (4:3) in dual monitor setup.

Dell 2007WFP: 1680x1050
Dell 2007FP: 1600x1200

Not sure whether to pick up another 2nd hand 2007FP off eBay (£65), the LG IPS234V (£130 Amazon) or the Dell U2412M (£228 Amazon). I already have a calibrator.

Is the expensive Dell really worth an extra £100 over the LG? Also, the LG has been made end-of-life and has been replaced. Worth considering its replacement?

Already having the Dell soundbar sways me towards going Dell again, but its not a deal breaker as they are only £15.

Any advice appreciated.

Anyone? :help:

Thanks. (y)

Not used the replacement LG, so can't comment (if it's the one I think you mean). I'd not get a used 2007WFP.... it might be tired, and old LCDs can run into problems with white point calibration.

Yes, the Dell is worth it. It's not an expensive screen. Look at how much you spent on camera gear.... Why skimp on a screen? It probably has as much affect (or more) on the quality of your images as your camera gear does. I see this all the time. People spend vast amounts on computers/cameras, then leave the monitor to last and buy whatever they can with whatever cash is left... as if it's not important.
You look at it for hours at a time.. do all your editing on it.. make decisions on contrast, brightness, colour... it's a VITAL stage in your work flow. The Dell 2412 is cheaper than any of the pieces of gear listed in your signature (except the 35 f1.8) :)

You really need to think about calibrating though.

Pookeyhead makes a good point.

No point in having decent gear without a decent monitor to maximise potential in the edits :)

I read handfulls of reviews before getting one and the general consensus was that the 1920x1200 resolution was the plus point on the 24" Dell but the difference in image quality is minimal at best. The extra 180 pixel height isn't really an issue I find that both Lightroom and Photoshop still leave plenty of space for a decent size image to work on. There is quite a price difference between the 2 but The LG I have really is fantastic.

Its the 130.00 one you mentioned on amazon.

You'd not be disappointed.

Nick :)

Last edited:
Not used the replacement LG, so can't comment (if it's the one I think you mean). I'd not get a used 2007WFP.... it might be tired, and old LCDs can run into problems with white point calibration.

Yes, the Dell is worth it. It's not an expensive screen. Look at how much you spent on camera gear.... Why skimp on a screen? It probably has as much affect (or more) on the quality of your images as your camera gear does. I see this all the time. People spend vast amounts on computers/cameras, then leave the monitor to last and buy whatever they can with whatever cash is left... as if it's not important.
You look at it for hours at a time.. do all your editing on it.. make decisions on contrast, brightness, colour... it's a VITAL stage in your work flow. The Dell 2412 is cheaper than any of the pieces of gear listed in your signature (except the 35 f1.8) :)

You really need to think about calibrating though.

David, top top point, well made. Yes, happy to spend hundreds on a lens, no point scrimping on the screen. Appreciate your point about aging monitors. Plus, there's every chance it could go 'pop' at any stage just like my previous one did. So will probably swerve a used model unless I can find something with Dell warranty remaining (unlikely on older models)

I do have Huey Pro calibrator, but I must admit, after running it a few times after purchase it has sat in the box. :nono:

Pookeyhead makes a good point.

No point in having decent gear without a decent monitor to maximise potential in the edits :)

I read handfulls of reviews before getting one and the general consensus was that the 1920x1200 resolution was the plus point on the 24" Dell but the difference in image quality is minimal at best. The extra 180 pixel height isn't really an issue I find that both Lightroom and Photoshop still leave plenty of space for a decent size image to work on. There is quite a price difference between the 2 but The LG I have really is fantastic.

Its the 130.00 one you mentioned on amazon.

You'd not be disappointed.

Nick :)

Nick, thanks for your thoughts on the LG. I actually did find the 1050 vertical lines of my 2007WFP a little limiting in Lightroom. Always felt I could do with a little more height due to all the toolbars etc. Would that not be more true if i've got extra width as well (moving from 1650 to 1920 wide?) with the image somewhat crushed?

I am talking myself into the 2412....... just need to see it sub £200 on some sort of Black Friday/Cyber deal and I will probably hit buy.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

David, top top point, well made. Yes, happy to spend hundreds on a lens, no point scrimping on the screen. Appreciate your point about aging monitors. Plus, there's every chance it could go 'pop' at any stage just like my previous one did. So will probably swerve a used model unless I can find something with Dell warranty remaining (unlikely on older models)

I do have Huey Pro calibrator, but I must admit, after running it a few times after purchase it has sat in the box. :nono:

Nick, thanks for your thoughts on the LG. I actually did find the 1050 vertical lines of my 2007WFP a little limiting in Lightroom. Always felt I could do with a little more height due to all the toolbars etc. Would that not be more true if i've got extra width as well (moving from 1650 to 1920 wide?) with the image somewhat crushed?

I am talking myself into the 2412....... just need to see it sub £200 on some sort of Black Friday/Cyber deal and I will probably hit buy.
£217 at Debenhams in stock and free post

£217 for a 24" 16:10 1920x1200 screen with a decent LG IPS panel is insanely cheap. The mind boggles why some people think that's expensive. I know some people are strapped for cash at this time of year, but the same people have spent thousands on other gear already. (not having a go at you here Mick.. just talking generally). It's stupendously cheap.... buy it!

£217 for a 24" 16:10 1920x1200 screen with a decent LG IPS panel is insanely cheap. The mind boggles why some people think that's expensive. I know some people are strapped for cash at this time of year, but the same people have spent thousands on other gear already. (not having a go at you here Mick.. just talking generally). It's stupendously cheap.... buy it!
I know David, i'm just a tight Yorkshireman and a 24" monitor is much harder to sneak past the wife than a replacement/new lens. ;)

Right, well I finally bit the bullet and picked up the U2412M for £210 off Scan. All I can say is WOW. Its like night and day to any previous monitor i've owned or seen.

It really embarasses the U2007FP Dell I have alongside it in my dual monitor set-up. Everything about the 2007FP looks washed out now and the whites just not white. If fact, nowhere near white!!!!

I ran the U2412M through my Huey calibrator and initial results weren't good, just didn't look right. So for now i've used the icc profile from TFT Central until I can investigate further.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

I was a little worried about the size, but its great, not really that much bigger than the Dell 2007WFP 20" that it replaced..... and the 16:10 ratio is a real bonus in LR.
Thanks everyone for the advice, looks like you were right about the Dell. :banana:

Last edited:
Re: calibration. Two things to consider.

1. The Huey is pretty crap.

2. You get used to things. If you've used a monitor that's too warm, or too cold for a long time, you get used to it. Sometimes, you calibrate a screen and it looks awful simply because you've got used to something radically wrong.

Re: calibration. Two things to consider.

1. The Huey is pretty crap.
I've been using a Huey calibrator for some time with a cheap LG TFT screen.
My edited images look the same on our photo club projector as they do at home, and prints from on-line printers look absolutely fine.
I'm considering upgrading my monitor to a Dell Studio S2240L, and at the same time, if necessary, I can replace my Huey calibrator.
I'm jut a little curious as to where the Huey is deficient compared to a Spyder or ColorMunki.

It doesn't handle wide gamut screens very well (not a problem for you as the S2240 isn't a wide gamut screen), and I've tested it against the LaCie Blue Eye Pro, i1 Display Pro, Color Munki and Spyder 4. All these I measured against the i1 Pro (Not the i1 Display Pro) and the Huey Pro was by far the least accurate, and least consistent.

That's not to say your screen is not accurate, or that you will have any problems, just that given that the Huey Pro is £100, I wouldn't recommend it to someone shopping for calibration solution when the much superior Color Munki is so close in price.

Back