Monitor for Editing Photos

Dell U2410 is an oldie, but a goodie. Can be had for around that price now. 1920x1200 16:10... wide gamut. Great screen, but had a fairly aggressive anti-glare coating... kind of shimmers when you move your head around when looking bright areas. You get used to it.. but if it sounds like something that may freak you out.. think carefully. True 8bit panel.

I am not a fan of Dell by any means, but I have two of these.
They come 'pre-calibrated' from Dell. It isn't perfect, but if you are not going to be printing out masses immediately, then you could save up for a calibrator later. I think the main 'problem' was that they were too bright for the lighting level I have.

Actually, the main peoblem now is I could do with a single monitor with the same size and quality :)

If you want a large single screen, then the best option now would be the Dell U2713H (not HM). Fab screen, and can be calibrated at the hardware level like genuine high end screens (using the i1 Display Pro and Dell's own software). If you can't stretch to that, then the U2413H (not HM) can also be hardware calibrated with the i1 and Dell's software... and it's around £400 (less calibrator which you have to buy yourself).

On a tight budget though... you've still got to go some to beat the Dell U2412M.

£217 for a 24" 16:10 1920x1200 screen with a decent LG IPS panel is insanely cheap. The mind boggles why some people think that's expensive. I know some people are strapped for cash at this time of year, but the same people have spent thousands on other gear already. (not having a go at you here Mick.. just talking generally). It's stupendously cheap.... buy it!

Found this thread very useful David, thanks for going into so much detail. The 2412 is now £204 on amazon and im about to hit buy.

Mega bargain! I hope you did click buy at that price!

Hmm... Anyone want to buy 3 x120hz gaming screens to fund my 3x 2412M's?
Thanks Dave.... No really, thanks. For nothing. (Left in my wallet)

Right. I got a colourmunki and set it to work on my ASUSn N55s laptop. It seems to do something but if the laptop goes into sleep mode or if I switch it of then back on again I have to re-calibrate. Surely this cannot be normal?

Would I have to do this with a monitor

No.. it's not normal.

Does the software tell you that you need to recalibrate?

Is there anything else active that controls the screen? Any power saving features running, or anything that alters the screen in response to ambient lighting? Many laptops have this, or similar. If so, disable such features.

Pookeyhead. Sorry for the delay. I have checked the settings and cant find anything with regards to screen/lighting alterations.

The software does not tell me that the screen requires re-calibrating.

In control panel>appearance>adjust resolution>advanced>colour management there are two options.

1. Samsung bla bla bla monitor
2. sRGB generic bla bla bla.

The Samsung option is the calibrated option I think because when I deselect this and then re-select and save as default profile the colours appear to return to their calibrated state.
When I select the sRGB option and set as default everything has a very blue colour cast.

but none of the options remain selected and I still sometimes have to re-calibrate (or perform the above) after shut down or sleep

When you calibrate with the Color Munki, the last stage will be to create the ICM profile, and you have an option to name it.
THAT is the file that should be listed in the colour management window.

Here's mine.

IpIQEej.jpg

Notice it's listed as the default profile.

Recalibrate... name the calibrated profile something unique... call it "Fish Custard" if you want... it doesn't matter :).. just make sure you can recognise it. THAT should now be listed as the default profile. If not, then the profile is getting lost somewhere. The default location for profiles shoudl be:

c:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

I use Colormunki Display on an Asus PB278Q monitor. The calibration remains in place after shutdown/startup.

I'll provide some info. I have no idea if any of this will provide any clues. So, FWIW ...

I have the calibrator permanently plugged in to the PC and I let it change the screen intensity depending on the ambient light level (it cannot change the colour balance - a different version of the calibrator would be needed for that, and I seem to recall David saying that wouldn't be such a good idea anyway).

Here are screenshots for three tabs on the Windows (7) Color Management dialog box.

The Devices tab shows six profiles that I have created. None of the profiles is highlighted on the Devices Tab, but the first one is marked as "(default)". Presumably this is the one I am running. (Surprisingly, I can't get Colormunki to show me which profile I am running to confirm that this "(default)" profile is actually the active profile.) EDIT: Cross post. From David's post I take it that "(default)" => active profile.

Color Management - Devices
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Color Management - All Profiles

Color Management - Advanced

In my Windows Startup folder there are two Colormunki entries: ColorMunki Display Tray, and XRgamma.

Windows Task Manager shows two ColorMunki processes running, ColorMunkiDisplay.exe and ColorMunkiDisplayTray.exe

Windows Task Manager

Last edited:
He makes a good point... check that ColorMunkiDisplay Tray.exe and ColorMunki Display.exe are running.

And yes Nick... the default profile is the one being used.

You are also correct in that nothing should be changing the white point with ambient lighting! Changing luminance isn't the end of the world, but to keep it simple for as many people as possible, I'd just recommend switching all that auto crap off and taking control of your room lighting for true consistency.

Help needed on selecting a monitor.

I'm going to take the plunge and update my monitor.
I don't have a lot of desk space so I need to stay below 24" screen size and I don't need a wide gamut, I normally work sRGB.
I've decided on a Dell of some kind, but the choices make my brain hurt.
Should I select from the "Ultrasharp" range, which means either the 2312, or the 2212, or are there other models worth considering, the so-called "Professional" series like the 2314 or 2214
or the "Studio" range like the 2340?
Anything else I should consider?

24"
I'll recommend either the NEC Spectraview reference 242 (£1300) or the Eizo ColorEdge CG246 (£1200) until I know they're off limits due to price, those two are what I'd recommend as they're probably the best 24" screens on the market at the moment.

If you're looking at Sub £500... and probably are due to sticking to Dell, then in descending order of performance...

Dell U2413H (not HM) & X-Rite i1 Display Pro so you can hardware profile it (approx £500)
Dell U2413H (not HM) alone (£370 approx)
Dell U2412M (£200 approx)

All these screens are 16:10 24" (1920x1200).

Avoid smaller 16:9 screens as only having 1080 vertical resolution sucks.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have mentioned a budget.
Much as I like an NEC or Eizo, I'd like to keep it to about £250 maximum.
As I said, I'm a bit constrained for space so I'm looking for less than 24" screen size, for which I realise I'm limited to 1050 or 1080 px vertically, which is what I have at present and I am OK with.
I see no advantage in going to a larger screen size anyway, since you don't get any more resolution, just larger pixels.
Another thing I don't understand with the Dell is the suffixes.
What's with the HM that should be avoided in favour of the H?
My preference at the moment is for the Dell Ultrasharp 2312HM, there doesn't seem to be a 2312H version.
I have a Huey Pro calibrator at present but I'm going to replace it with a Colormunki Display.

The 2413HM uses a 6bit panel instead of a 8bit of the H. It has a cheaper case that doesn't use the touch sensitive controls.

You do get more resolution with 24" though... 1200 vertical on a 24" and 1080 on a 23" It makes a big difference, especially in programs like Lightroom or Premier where there are toolbars along the bottom of the screen.

If you absolutely must have a 23" then two I'd recommend in your budget are the Dell 2312M you've already considered, and the Asus PA238Q. Both are great screens for the price, and in this price bracket, the only two that I've used and tested that impressed me once calibrated. I've not tested much at 23" though, but what I have tends to be pretty awful once you get down to less than £200.

Both have pretty awful colour accuracy straight out of the box, so they'll need calibrating. To be honest though.... most monitors do... even the higher end Dells that are meant to be factory calibrated are pretty crap in that respect. Monitors should be calibrated for photographic, graphics or printing use... simple as that.

Either of those you'll be happy with :)

Many thanks for the advice and suggestions, much appreciated.
I'm preferring a Dell, since I have experience of them professionally (in the audio world, not for picture editing) and I like the stands and general mechanical construction.
I can live without touch sensitive controls
When I said "I see no advantage in going to a larger screen size anyway, since you don't get any more resolution, just larger pixels." I was referring to the fact that the 23" inch monitor has 0.256 mm pixel pitch and the 24" has 0.27 mm pixel pitch, so other than the extra vertical pixels, you don't actually get any more resolution by going to the larger screen.
I tend to run Lightroom with the top and bottom toolbars hidden, so I don't find 1080 px vertical much of a limitation.
Having said that, I've just had another measure, and it might be possible to squeeze in a 24" screen, so the U2412M looks quite attractive at just over £200.
I don't seem to be able to find a 2312H, only the HM, which I presume is a 6-bit panel? Is that much of a disadvantage when working sRGB?

Bear in mind that even the 23 inch versions are going to be a big improvement over the LG W2042T that I am using at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't seem to be able to find a 2312H, only the HM, which I presume is a 6-bit panel? Is that much of a disadvantage when working sRGB?

Bear in mind that even the 23 inch versions are going to be a big improvement over the LG W2042T that I am using at the moment.

Chances are, that if it's not listed as the U2413HM, and just U2413, then it's not the HM version.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking this thread, but I would also like some pointers with my purchasing choice....

weighing up a dual monitor setup (2x Dell2412M's as reccomended here)

or

a sub £500 27" for main display and use existing 22.5" for secondary display (to be replaced in the fullness of time)

Main consideration will be Lightroom. toolbars,etc on small screen. image on 27"

I've seen two Hazro models;

Hazro HZ27WB 10-Bit 27" LED Widescreen Professional Monitor - Black Aluminum Housing with heavy duty stand
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-012-HO&groupid=17&catid=1120

Hazro HZ27WiE 8-Bit 27" Glass LED Widescreen Professional Monitor - Black
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-HO&groupid=17&catid=1120

would consider any other models though

I have 4 monitors at home. A 21" landscape, dell 24 , dell 24 portrait, then a 21 landscape.
Navigator window goes fullscreen on a landscape as a 'proof', then the toolbars etc go to the other.
The two 24s I use as the main edit window. The bar in the middle gets annoying, I wish I could afford to replace with a single larger middle screen.
It also uses more memory for the desktop window manager using more than 1 monitor (about 800mb just for dwm.exe)

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking this thread, but I would also like some pointers with my purchasing choice....

weighing up a dual monitor setup (2x Dell2412M's as reccomended here)

or

a sub £500 27" for main display and use existing 22.5" for secondary display (to be replaced in the fullness of time)

Main consideration will be Lightroom. toolbars,etc on small screen. image on 27"

I've seen two Hazro models;

Hazro HZ27WB 10-Bit 27" LED Widescreen Professional Monitor - Black Aluminum Housing with heavy duty stand
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-012-HO&groupid=17&catid=1120

Hazro HZ27WiE 8-Bit 27" Glass LED Widescreen Professional Monitor - Black
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-HO&groupid=17&catid=1120

would consider any other models though

I've not used either Hazro models, so I can't comment, but I'd rather have a 27" as my main screen and the 22.5" in portrait mode as a toolbar screen. That's similar to what I do here.... 30" main, and 20" 4:3 screen in portrait for tools... the advantage there is the 4:3 screen is 1600x1200, so the vertical res of both screens is identical, as is the physical size. That's not a deal breaker though... the 22.5 in portrait would work well with a 27" main.

I've not used either Hazro models, so I can't comment, but I'd rather have a 27" as my main screen and the 22.5" in portrait mode as a toolbar screen. That's similar to what I do here.... 30" main, and 20" 4:3 screen in portrait for tools... the advantage there is the 4:3 screen is 1600x1200, so the vertical res of both screens is identical, as is the physical size. That's not a deal breaker though... the 22.5 in portrait would work well with a 27" main.

Thanks for that, from what I've been reading they seem to have a lot of 'good for the money, but...' type reviews/opinions. Makes more sense to save a little extra more, up the budget and get a decent 27". What you said really hit home yesterday, that we spend a good deal of time looking at the screen and it is crucial in the workflow, so why cut corners.....
I would probably spend more time looking at my new monitor than i do my own kids! ;)
So it's looking like a Dell 2713h for me.
Am i right in thinking this would be 'future-proofed', in so much as it will work to a high standard with sRGB, but when/if I can move to a full 10/30bit workflow (need new GPU and LR5 needs to develop) i'll be ready?
And one more whilst I'm at it, how does it work, the sRGB/AdobeRGB emulation? If I had 10bit GPU > Win7 > LRx > Dell, does the monitor auto-switch to sRGB if I come out of LR and open Word / Internet or whatever; or does it need user-intervention.

Hope you can answer, thanks for all your advice in this thread and others, it really helped me crystalize my thoughts!

So it's looking like a Dell 2713h for me.

Great screen. A friend of mine has the U2711 in his studio, and it always impressed me for the money, but the ant-glare coating was a bit aggressive. We got 2x 2713s in the video suites at work and they've made it much smoother... add the ability to hardware profile with the i1 Display Pro and it's a good combo.

Sorry I can't help re: the Hazro screens. Maybe, before you write them off, have a snoop around Hard Forums as they have a specific display sub forum and there are usually some sensible people in there who give unbiased opinion.

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

I still think the 2713H is a wise move though.

Sorry for the slight necro.

David, I'm looking to replace my cheap BenQ TN screen with a better quality screen in the next few weeks. I was thinking about the Hazro screens from OCUK but after hearing a few CS issues I'm leaning more toward one of the Dells.

I saw you mention the U3014 earlier in the thread, and in the post above you mention the 2713H, both are on my list of options. Obviously the 2713H is only a 16:9 which would be a little annoying, but it's also a fair chunk cheaper than the U3014. Money isn't in issue but I just wondered if you'd any specific opinions on both compared, or further opinions on the U3014??

If you can possibly afford it, the 16:10 3014 will give a much nicer experience. That extra vertical resolution (1600 vs. 1440) makes a difference.

Thanks for that. In the interim I've also been eyeing up the Eizo EV2736W. Only 16:9 but still should be a quality screen.

Not used it, but the Flexscan range is the one below the ColorEdge range. I used to have a Flexscan SX3031W, which was awesome, but used a wide gamut S-PVA panel. This one you mention is IPS, but no mention of colour gamut, so possibly only sRGB. It also doesn't have a programmable LUT like the Dell, so can not be hardware profiled. It will no doubt be a superb screen, but I'd still rather have the Dell... hardware profiled with a i1 Display pro. You say money isn't an issue... so you know it makes sense :)

Thanks very much for your help :). Still undecided in part because I could buy two 27"s. We shall see!

Also not sure how much wide gamut will matter to me.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help :). Still undecided in part because I could buy two 27"s. We shall see!

Also not sure how much wide gamut will matter to me.

You see a better representation of what colours the camera captures with it when you shoot RAW (or set Adobe 1998 for JPEGs)... so long as your workflow is properly colour managed. Most have a sRGB emulation mode for what watching tele or playing games on it.. or doing anything else that's not colour managed.

Well Overclockers are doing the U3014 on special this week for £899, next cheapest is Debenhams Plus at £938.

One fell into my basket :D

1% cashback too which is better than a kick in the wossnames.

what is the best way to setup my iMac,i see there are calibrators but I'm unsure which to get and will it make a difference ?
thanks

Back