Monitor problem

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I have an impression my Dell U2711 is going to slowly but surely pack up and die in the near future. I am getting darkened patches around the right edge which are expanding and there is now a new small but very noticeable spot at the very top. It is now all starting to creep into the useful screen area.

For the start is there some easy hack to fix it by cleaning some contacts or something or am I basically looking at a replacement?

In case of the latter what would be the most sensible option to get a similarly sized wide gamut flicker free IPS display? Somehow I'd want it to have 4K or 5K but at the same time be backward compatible with older macs that don't support the full resolution. Just short of buying a 5K imac there is nothing really out from apple that is current let alone the money problem!

before you start your shopping, check for 'degaussing' function button in your monitor. that should remove your dark patches.

'degaussing' function button in your monitor. that should remove your dark patches.
Degaussing has not been a feature of monitors since the days of the old CRT monitors.

If it is a very dark patch which gets bigger it is not good news. That last time I saw this was a couple of years ago when I dropped my mobile phone and the impact caused the liquid in the LCD to leech out and spread across the whole display.

Has your monitor been subjected to any impact recently?

Degaussing has not been a feature of monitors since the days of the old CRT monitors.

If it is a very dark patch which gets bigger it is not good news. That last time I saw this was a couple of years ago when I dropped my mobile phone and the impact caused the liquid in the LCD to leech out and spread across the whole display.

Has your monitor been subjected to any impact recently?

No physical damage that I am aware of. It started around 3 years ago as a very thin patch around the launch pad and never extended beyond toolbars but right now it is getting into business area.

It is very odd. Sometimes on start up the right edge would be too bright but would normalise in a few minutes, and then we mostly have the dark patch with these strong contours.

sorry ...my bad . was thinking about my old CRT in degaussing stuff.

if there's no impact to screen- I'm sure you might have checked the below.

1. change the connector cable
2. check the native resolution and it matches with your monitor settings
3. not connected to integrated graphics card if you have a dedicated graphics card
4. Run the monitor diagnostics ( there are some combination buttons you need to press it)
5. last but not the least - update your BIOs and video drivers for Windows from Dell website.

sorry ...my bad . was thinking about my old CRT in degaussing stuff.

5. last but not the least - update your BIOs and video drivers for Windows from Dell website.

Well my Mac didn't like BIOS update from Windows for sure... :p

I get it, the monitor is slowly getting f***ed up. In the OP I just wandered what alternatives should I look at in the first instance?

sounds like you have had a good run out of it

Back