Monitor

Name
Sharon
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I have to buy a new monitor and wondered if anyone has any recommendations. I

was looking at Benq (not the high end - budget doesn't allow for that end) and then in Currys yesterday looked at a Samsung with 4kHD. My monitor is quite old with a Matt screen which I find difficult to see sharpness clearly on. Ideally I'm looking for the clear glass type screen with good colour and sharpness. So many out there to choose from but would prefer some views on what other photographers use/recommend before I spend.

Thanks all.

I have a Dell ips monitor running as a second monitor on my MacBook Pro retina. Side by side it’s amazing, I would recommend looking at Dell.

Another vote for dell ips. Have a look at NRG IT to see if they have any you like.

Thankyou. Is IPS more important than HD?

In my time out I do a lot of nature photography but as a small business I do weddings and portraits.

Last edited:

In my time out I do a lot of nature photography but as a small business I do weddings and portraits.
I believe IPS has a better viewing angle, do you have a screen calibrator? If not you may need to borrow or buy one too.

IPS relates to screen technology, HD relates to display resolution. IPS screens don't change appearance much when you move you head in relation to the panel, unlike TN screens.

As suggested, have a look at Dell.

Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200

Good, bad or indifferent?

Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200

Good, bad or indifferent?

Good. 16:10 ratio, a decent upgrade on the U2412M, provided it's no more than £225.

The monitor that Paul (f1.8) recommends has a higher resolution, but is only 16:9 - I dislike that ratio for photographic work, but if you're used to it then the ratio may bother you less than it does me.

I have a Benq aXL24IIT it about 4 years old IPS monitor 144htz but only goes upto 1920 x 1080 it also has different colour profiles mine set to SRGB and never used a calibration tool on it I print using paper profiles and the monitor was was less than £200.
so you need to do more research there some fantastic ones out there and there are some reasonably priced ones. If I was going to change mine I would move up to the £250 price range as there are loads around this price but you can pay over £1600 for some. My cheap option would be the BenQ PD2500Q £249.97 on Amazon..
Let us know what you purchased

Last edited:
Hi all, so Iv'e just joined the forums, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations in this thread. Iv'e been wanting a monitor that didn't break the bank and so landed on the BenQ PD2500Q as recommended here. Not able to buy yet for Iv'e just upgraded my camera kit but should have in the next few months :)

In fact to hijack this thread and ask a question myself. Iv'e noticed I can have the BenQ 27inch monitor for a little more money. Any preferance between the two for photo editing?

I use a 27" screen at work (use it for autocad) and a 23" one at home for photo editing, i would hands down prefer to have a bigger screen at home now i have got used to it. You just have so much more space to work which in something like lightroom is good because the tool panels/previews etc take up a fair bit of the screen

27" monitors are better than 25", more real estate to utilise, especially when doing post work with images. You might regret the 25" version after you bought it, 2" does not seem like a lot but you can see the difference straight away when comparing them side by side.

Thanks both for your replies, the next dilemma I have found is 2k vs 4k. The 2k BenQ mentioned above is quite good value for money and a current cash back offer means it can be had with a further £20 off.

If I jump to the 4k then the price goes up another £150, I'm just researching google now for the benefits of 4k over 2k but would be good to hear your views also?

ll depends on your budget and how "professional" you want your output to be. If your going to calibrate a new monitor then allow the cost of a calibration program to add to the budget.
All I can suggest is to look at the spec for each one and any comments made about it. Monitor vary so much in price -make-size etc it is what suits you is the right one

maybe a good printer may need consideration as well

Last edited:
I do print but Ive always relied n a 3rd party service for that, this may be something I will look into but certainly not in the immediate future.

I could probably stretch to a 4k I would just need to wait a month or two before I purchase which is fine. I'll start to look at the 4k monitors then, there is a BenQ, Dell and an LG which seem to be getting positive reviews and all under the £500 mark. Don't wish to be going over that.

Also I have a Spyder Pro 4 but I think it's been unsupported very recently so hopefully this will still work.

@jimmgc51: A word of caution. a 27" monitor with the same screen resolution as the 25" will not gain you any real estate - it just makes everything look bigger on screen.

Back