Monitors for photo editing and processing

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I've been using my laptop screen for photo editing and processing, and think this is probably throwing colours and brightness off, as well as being small to work with.
I've got a Dell 24" S2409W which I bought 9 years ago, but this seems a bit washed out.

Ideally I would like to spend around £300 if this is even possible for a decent monitor!
I've seen the BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS WQHD LED Monitor available for £269, but unsure if this would be suitable?

Thanks,

Screen size is a good point to consider but the main
quality for photo editing and processing is pixel density
— specially considering the 37.3 MS of the D810! —
and will be stretching your budget a bit more.

Last edited:

Screen size is a good point to consider but the main
quality for photo editing and processing is pixel density
— specially considering the 37.3 MS of the D810! —
and will be stretching your budget a bit more.

Yeah, it has definitely made editing on a 15" 1080 screen a challenge. Do you have any you would recommend? And, just for fun, what would you say is good for a d810 if the budget was 600 or so? Would be interesting to compare.

This perhaps https://www.nrgit.biz/products/dell-u2413-monitor

I use this https://www.nrgit.biz/products/dell-u2515h-25-inch-monitor . It was meant as a stop gap but I've found it a good with small pixel pitch so you can fit a lot on the screen without sitting in front of a patio door.

I don't think you can beat dell for price vs performance. I always go back to them.

They look good, I have liked my dell for gaming. I'm wondering if 27 inches might be easier to work with?

To be honest the size of your camera sensor has no relation to the pixel density of your monitor.

If I have the correct monitor then the screen resolution is 2560 x 1400 pixels and at 27 inches will be fine for editing... You can strive for a 4K monitor but I don't think you will see a great deal of difference apart from everything looking smaller on screen.

As long as that monitor can be calibrated correctly it should be fine...

I agree with Phil. I've been using a 27" 2560 x 1440 px monitor for years and I'm happy editing files from my a7R II which has the same size sensor as the D850. I can't give a recommendation as mine has been out of production for some time.

I'm on the MAC side of life so I'm no good to you in this case! :(

Im in a similar situation to the OP... but I have a MacBook Pro... but looking for a 21-24" monitor to do photo editing on... surely any monitor will work with a PC or a Mac??? I recently moved from the iMac to the MacBook Pro.. and just think dual screening would be good also

I'd also look for something around the £300 price tag.. Any recommendations? Im completely clueless with this element of photography really.

I'm mac based, I have three, my main one for photo editing is this one:

https://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/sw2700pt/

I have a Wacom 24HD graphics tablet as well, but this is mainly for drawing and designing

I also have a cheap AOC one as well, which is pretty good for the money in all honesty.

My macbook pro is very good also, the calibration software likes it almost as much as the BenQ.

A good monitor is really helpful, takes a lot of the guesswork out of editing and you know what if you display or print your photo's they will come out the same.

I'm Mac based also. I use a NEC PA241w which I picked up secondhand for £50. Only (!) 1920x1200 resolution but can display almost all of the AdobeRGB gamut and be hardware calibrated with NEC's Spectraview software and a suitable hardware calibration device. All good :)

Regardless of what monitor you choose, calibration is pretty important to achieving consistent colour.

Back