Monitors - VA vs IPS?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to be upgrading my current display ( Dell 24' IPS) with both gaming and photo editing in mind. I've always used an IPS display, but gaming monitors with IPS tend to be much pricier than the others, especially as I hope to moving up in terms of both size and resolution.

I know TN panels aren't worth considering, but I'm not so familiar with VA panels, of which there are quite a few within my budget.

From googling it seems that they fall somewhere in between TN and IPS in that they can be colour accurate, but still don't give as wide a range of viewing angles as an IPS. They also apparently provide deeper contrast and blacks, which I'm not sure would necessarily be a better thing.

Whatever screen I get will be calibrated with a Spyder 4.

Has anyone had any experience of editing on a VA panel?

Go to shops and view in person if possible because one person will like a screen and one will hate it.
Even with the same screen type, different brands and models will look different.
The material used over the screen makes a huge difference also because some are anti reflective to the point where is damages clarity

Go to shops and view in person if possible because one person will like a screen and one will hate it.
Even with the same screen type, different brands and models will look different.
The material used over the screen makes a huge difference also because some are anti reflective to the point where is damages clarity
I know, but thats unlikely. Currys et al may hold some, but the majority of what I'm looking at are online only.

Last edited:
Some VA panels are very good, Benq for example have good viewing angles for a VA. Narrow your budget and panels down then research their performance. Id say IPS is possibly more important on a laptop or a non adjustable desktop monitor. (as in vert & hori)

Last edited:
Screens (TV's) in shops are calibrated for the area they are in, I think they can be even set for store use on their computers???? it all depends on how much you want to spend on a monitor and how good your graphics card is in the computer. No good having a sooper dooper monitor if the graphics card is crap. I have a DEL ips monitor which is a lot better now I upped the graphics cardto a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with a DELL U2312HM IPS monitor (9 years old).

Remember producing your own hard copies may be different to what you see on screen as that is back lit, hard copies (prints) are not. Then again it all depends on how good your printer is and how it is set up. I use an EpsonXP-950 now an old model but produces good prints

You can keep calibrating a monitor all day long, it all depends on the ambient light your working in

Last edited:
Before I got an IPS monitor I did all my photo editing on a properly calibrated TN screen, and had no problems because I always sat square-on to the screen.
Now I have an IPS screen I still sit aligned to the centre of the screen when I'm photo editing.
I would have thought that most people sit square on at 90 degrees and on the centre axis of the screen when they are editing,
The only people who benefit from an IPS screen would be someone watching over the shoulder of the person doing the editing, unless there is some reason you cannot sit in front of your screen properly.
Technically, there's not much difference in viewing angle between TN and VA screens, the main difference is VA have a faster response for gaming.
Not really an essential feature for image editing.

Last edited:
Back