Monopod Advice Please

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Any advice on a monopod + head for my 5D would be greatly appreciated.
Will be used for over fences and fields etc, tripod too big and bulky for lugging long distances.
Jim

Monopods are like marmite - love them or hate them.

Personally I can't imagine a more pointless device...so I'd just get the cheapest thing possible that doesn't fall apart.

Monopods are like marmite - love them or hate them.

Personally I can't imagine a more pointless device...so I'd just get the cheapest thing possible that doesn't fall apart.

60yrs old, shakes, wobbles.
Jim

i have a manfrotto 681b with a simple 243rc head. it's nice and simple and suits what i use it for. your lenses are not that big though so maybe you could get away with something lighter.....

I sold my Manfrotto 676B last night. No problems with it except that it was a little short for aiming upwards so I made a 30cm extension to screw on the top if I was aiming high....birds in trees etc. I've never bothered adding a head to it and didn't need it for what I used it for.

I used it with similar lenses to yours....400/5.6, 300/4 and 70-200/2.8.

Bob

Yes, I agree with Bob (again!!) I've been using a Manfrotto Carbon Fibre with a 500 mm and the 100-400 and I find it excellent, why did you sell yours, Bob?
Certainly with the 500mm I find it essential, and I don't use a head. Even for the 100=400 it's good and I reckon gives a couple of stops.

Yes, I agree with Bob (again!!) I've been using a Manfrotto Carbon Fibre with a 500 mm and the 100-400 and I find it excellent, why did you sell yours, Bob?

I bought Mr THX's Gitzo 6X last night....I've gone all Gitzo now...mono and two tripods. Weight, collapsed size and a quiet twist lock are the attractions for me.

Bob

I use a Manfrotto 682B which has the option of three small feet which gives that extra bit of stability. I have serious balance issues and it has made the world of difference to me. I use it with the 488RC2 ball head.

Not the cheapest combo at £130, but certainly worth every penny to me.

I bought Mr THX's Gitzo 6X last night....I've gone all Gitzo now...mono and two tripods. Weight, collapsed size and a quiet twist lock are the attractions for me.

Bob

Yes, I can see that, Bob, the only Gitzo I have is the one for the 500mm w/o a centre column, it may even have been you who pointed me in that direction. Certainly the locking is better than the Manfrotto, of which I have 2. Is the Gitzo mono much better than the Manfrotto? or is it the mechanism you like?
Hope we're not hijacking the thread too much, but I think it's an interesting subject and pertinent to the original question.

I use a Velbon Pro Pod 7, along with a Manfrotto 486RC ball head and I am very pleased with both of them and it is certainly easier than carrying my tripod about.

Yes, I can see that, Bob, the only Gitzo I have is the one for the 500mm w/o a centre column, it may even have been you who pointed me in that direction. Certainly the locking is better than the Manfrotto, of which I have 2. Is the Gitzo mono much better than the Manfrotto? or is it the mechanism you like?
Hope we're not hijacking the thread too much, but I think it's an interesting subject and pertinent to the original question.

I don't think it's a hijack....we're talking monopods.

I haven't got the Gitzo pod yet...only bought it last night. I'd spec'd it out after getting the 3540 and really like the G-lock...quiet with no loud clicks to disturb the plants/birds. The other attraction is that it collapses to almost pocket length. And it's only 6 times the price :puke:

Bob

I use a Manfrotto 682B which has the option of three small feet which gives that extra bit of stability. I have serious balance issues and it has made the world of difference to me. I use it with the 488RC2 ball head.

Not the cheapest combo at £130, but certainly worth every penny to me.

College Cameras ltd, 682B + MN234rc + next day delivery £69.
Jim

if you click on the pod the next page opens and intimates that the head is free
the only one that I found that actually specified was the 5 leg mag fibre pod

if you click on the pod the next page opens and intimates that the head is free
the only one that I found that actually specified was the 5 leg mag fibre pod

Yep, spotted it now. :D

My brother in law and I both have Manfrotto 618Bs and find them excellent. I have owned a thin ,cheap one and can see the difference. Used properly (at an angle with the foot stuck out in front of you, forming a tripod) a monopod is certainly more use than "just a stick". Try one and see.

Check the extension height if you're tall!
I'm 6 foot 3 inches and I really had to search around for one that would comfortably reach my eye-level.
If you're not too tall and it's for walking, there's a nice walking stick that converts to a monopod that I've seen in hiking shops.

Hi,

I use a Manfrotto 681B, nice and solid, around the £40-£45 mark I think. Use it for my Sigma 500mm at 3.5kg and sits fine, I owned a £15 'pole' before this one and believe me a cheap pole doesn't even come close to the stability a better, stiffer monopod makes. A ballhead or similar is handy too because if you take shots of anything above or below your head height then you can get into some pretty awkward body positions trying to get the shot.

They are also handy for slinging the camera and lens over your shoulder for easier carrying. Not bad as a 'persuader' either especially if you frequent dodgy areas :D

Mike.

i have a manfrotto 681b with a simple 243rc head. it's nice and simple and suits what i use it for. your lenses are not that big though so maybe you could get away with something lighter.....

I've just bought the 243RC head to go with my Manfrotto 790B (£19 from here; http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/product/manfrotto_790b_modo_monopod/).

For me the head makes all the difference, quick release which saves some messing around too

A monopod is no subsitute for a decent tripod but it's what I always take when I can't be bothered carrying the tripod up mountains, it's definitely better than nothing !!

simon

Back