North England Monthly Leeds (and local meets) thoughts thread.

What time will we need to set off? Might have to come down straight from work or something. ..

What time will we need to set off? Might have to come down straight from work or something. ..

Dunno Tim, Friday could be a bad day for some with work. Looks like it could be a couple of hours + from Leeds, but don't suppose it'll start to get dark till half 8/9'ish.

Just thought I'd give it a bump, see what everyone else's thought were :)

Dunno Tim, Friday could be a bad day for some with work. Looks like it could be a couple of hours + from Leeds, but don't suppose it'll start to get dark till half 8/9'ish.

Just thought I'd give it a bump, see what everyone else's thought were :)
I think the plan was to set off around 5pm. Rich is doing the driving. I'm not at work that week so I can set off anytime....

b****x I was up for finishing work early, but the wife's just told me my calendar's already booked for that date. Seems I got the Cordoba dates wrong after all. Sorry lads, gonna have to miss out this time. Still, that means I might be around for the Cumbria trip....hmmm....

Thinking of heading out tonight for sunset somewhere if anyone fancies. Not too far, maybe set off at 7ish out for a couple of hours.....
I can't tonight rich but can any other night this week.

Looks like a good night for it tonight as well.

Thinking of heading out tonight for sunset somewhere if anyone fancies. Not too far, maybe set off at 7ish out for a couple of hours.....

Rich, I'll pop back later to see where your off to and let ya know :)

Rich, I'll pop back later to see where your off to and let ya know :)

Going to give it a miss mate and go a walk instead, cheers :)

@posiview @randomwindows @Mardybum @TimmyG @anyone else :D

Are we definitely on for Thors Cave on the 22nd then? Mine on way down then light stuff at the cave? :)

Hi, guys, I know I suggested the 22nd, BUT, I've had a think and might not be able to make it. I'm in Blackpool the 16 May for a meet with a TP member, I have the Lake District Meet 30 May and the Mega Meet 6 June. Jackie hasn't said anything yet, but I'd be really pushing my luck with 4 tog meets over 4 weekends.

Think I'll earn some Brownie points and treat Jackie to a meet and night out.

I'll keep an eye on the thread.....just in case :naughty:

Cheers.

Hi, guys, I know I suggested the 22nd, BUT, I've had a think and might not be able to make it. I'm in Blackpool the 16 May for a meet with a TP member, I have the Lake District Meet 30 May and the Mega Meet 6 June. Jackie hasn't said anything yet, but I'd be really pushing my luck with 4 tog meets over 4 weekends.

Think I'll earn some Brownie points and treat Jackie to a meet and night out.

I'll keep an eye on the thread.....just in case :naughty:

Cheers.
That's a shame Andy, I thought jackie was out that night!

I'm still up for a meet at the mine and cave on 22nd.

That's a shame Andy, I thought jackie was out that night!

I'm still up for a meet at the mine and cave on 22nd.

It's a bit up in the air at the moment so I decided to do the honourable thing and take her out. I told her that if she does go out with her mates, I'll be out as well :)

That cave looks amazing :)

Cheers.

It's a bit up in the air at the moment so I decided to do the honourable thing and take her out. I told her that if she does go out with her mates, I'll be out as well :)

That cave looks amazing :)

Cheers.
Fair play Andy.

How did ya get on Rich? We went walking up round Dean Head, put mi camera in the car just incase. Took this at half 8, it looked like the sky was going to go an amazing colour of reds :banana:.............then the sun just went down with hardly any colour at all, typical! :banghead: :D

Going straight by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's another place that looks like it ought to be on us 'to do' list. Its an old church ruin at Heptonstall nr Hebden bridge, practically on mi door step and I'd never even heard of 'em.

Going to have a drive up either tomorrow of Thursday evening........wait for it Rob @robphotographer .........weather permitting :p and check it out :)

Link to Google images (y)

Here's another place that looks like it ought to be on us 'to do' list. Its an old church ruin at Heptonstall nr Hebden bridge, practically on mi door step and I'd never even heard of 'em.

Going to have a drive up either tomorrow of Thursday evening........wait for it Rob @robphotographer .........weather permitting :p and check it out :)

Looks interesting. Shall we arrange a meet or just put it on the todo list?

Looks interesting. Shall we arrange a meet or just put it on the todo list?

Sound good Tim, I'm favouring Thursday evening if ya fancy it (y) Anyone else fancy coming? Looks good for some light painting stuff and if its a clear sky I want a go at some star trails :)

Sound good Tim, I'm favouring Thursday evening if ya fancy it (y) Anyone else fancy coming? Looks good for some light painting stuff and if its a clear sky I want a go at some star trails :)
That should be fine phil. It will be around 8 when I get there.

Working Thursday evening this week Phil but shall look forward to seeing photos lol. Plus I'm full of cold :(

How did ya get on Rich? We went walking up round Dean Head, put mi camera in the car just incase. Took this at half 8, it looked like the sky was going to go an amazing colour of reds :banana:.............then the sun just went down with hardly any colour at all, typical! :banghead: :D

Going straight by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Ended up just nipping to St Aidens round the corner, got there just before sunset, left just after, didn't get much if anything but it got me out the house and away from DIY for an hour!!

This looks a great spot, and thinking about it I did know about it already as I'd seen a model shoot done here on Flickr.......
Can't make Thursday unfortunately, but if you revisit let me know!! ;-)

Working Thursday evening this week Phil but shall look forward to seeing photos lol. Plus I'm full of cold :(

This looks a great spot, and thinking about it I did know about it already as I'd seen a model shoot done here on Flickr.......
Can't make Thursday unfortunately, but if you revisit let me know!! ;-)

That's a shame chaps, if its as interesting as it looks, I'm sure we'll be back :)

@randomwindows @posiview I could be up for sumot Friday, weather permitting

Edit -forgot, think Rob @robphotographer said he was off work too, you up for it Rob?

What about you Rich @Mardybum ? you working Friday?

Now that looks like an excellent spot Rich Good find

By coincidence, in the Architecture and Urban thread, some ones posted some images of the Magpie Lead Mine at Sheldon, I thought the same, it would be great for some night/lightpainting stuff and its its fairly close to the cave you've mentioned Rich. Looks like we need to do both one night

As two of my grandparents were from Yorkshire I should be ok posting in your thread?

Thors cave and the bluff above it are both photogenic - hadn't thought of light painting there.....
Magpie mines would make a superb spot for night time star trails and painting (I'd suggested it to Ewan as a possibility after we called in last year). It's also a superb spot for daytime but it can be difficult due to popularity during the summer/weekends. Another to throw into your melting pot is Lumsdale. Not too far away from Wetton/Sheldon and with waterfalls, mill pools and numerous ruined mills in a wooded gorge there is plenty of interest.

...it's that bloke from Lancashire again.....

Just noticed that in Lumsdale there is also a bit of 'cave' action. If this works the following links will give you an idea of what can be seen at -
Magpie mines: https://www.flickr.com/gp/iainltaylor/hm9S83/
Lumsdale: https://www.flickr.com/gp/iainltaylor/kC4749/

Other than conversion to jpg, a couple of greyscale conversions and watermarking the photos are not post processed and are just a record of my wanderings.

Just noticed that in Lumsdale there is also a bit of 'cave' action. If this works the following links will give you an idea of what can be seen at -

Other than conversion to jpg, a couple of greyscale conversions and watermarking the photos are not post processed and are just a record of my wanderings.

Some cracking shots of both places (y) definitely of interest, cheers:)

Your welcome to join us ya know, we won't hold it against ya being from Lancashire, someone has to live there :p :D

Some cracking shots of both places (y) definitely of interest, cheers:)

Your welcome to join us ya know, we won't hold it against ya being from Lancashire, someone has to live there :p :D

And we promise not to chant Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire at you all day... Join us though your more than welcome

And we promise not to chant Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire at you all day... Join us though your more than welcome

There are plenty of sheep around the Peak District so you will all feel quite at home (that is assuming you can pass through the rhubarb triangle unscathed!). Would be good to meet you all again before the next TP Batty Moss viaduct night.

My plans may be changing tonight, are you guys still going up Heptonstall?

Yes Rich, I'm still going to go up (y) and I've not heard any different from Tim :)

Edit - laser pens come :banana: :D

Last edited:
Back