Moon setting over the Mountains. One more photo' added.

Edit My Images
Yes
Got up early to get the moon setting over the mountains. The foreground is La Marina & the lights in the background are distant villages & towns. Nikon D90 with Tamron 18-270 VC. Aperture: f/8.0 Focal Length: 170 mm Exposure: +0.10. ISO Speed: 200
C&C welcome.

3992736424_3626bbf3ce_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow..thats dedication...looks great...love the warm colours with that misty sky..

Wow..thats dedication...looks great...love the warm colours with that misty sky..

Thank you. Over a four day period I looked out at the moon setting. Unlike the sun that sets a few minutes different each day, the Moon sets at quite different times. Also unlike the sun that sets in more or less the same place each day depending on season, the Moon sets in different places each day. This day it set just before daylight so the sky had a slight blue to it & it was over the mountains whereas before it wasn't.

Superb picture.

Thank you. Over a four day period I looked out at the moon setting. Unlike the sun that sets a few minutes different each day, the Moon sets at quite different times. Also unlike the sun that sets in more or less the same place each day depending on season, the Moon sets in different places each day. This day it set just before daylight so the sky had a slight blue to it & it was over the mountains whereas before it wasn't.

Yes, that's a real pain. We saw a fantastic effect when on holiday standing on top of a hill, the sun setting on one horizon had the moon rising on the other turn a fantastic shade of lilac.

We went up the hill the next day hoping for something similar, but with the time moved by so much the effect was gone completely.

We did get this browny red moon though, which wasn't there the night before. Is that the effect of looking at it so low? I rather like the colour as it makes the markings stand out more, but we found it very hard to get it sharp when low down.

Fantastic, i'm very new to slr ownership and look forward to the day i get pictures half as good as this.

Thank you.

Superb picture.

Thanks

Yes, that's a real pain. We saw a fantastic effect when on holiday standing on top of a hill, the sun setting on one horizon had the moon rising on the other turn a fantastic shade of lilac.

We went up the hill the next day hoping for something similar, but with the time moved by so much the effect was gone completely.

We did get this browny red moon though, which wasn't there the night before. Is that the effect of looking at it so low? I rather like the colour as it makes the markings stand out more, but we found it very hard to get it sharp when low down.

I don't know why the Moon was browny red, I can only think it is to do with the atmosphere. Untill I took these moon sets I didn't know about the change of times & direction it rose & set in, because of this a couple of years ago, I also went back to a spot to get a particular photo & no moon, now I know why.

I don't know why the Moon was browny red, I can only think it is to do with the atmosphere. Untill I took these moon sets I didn't know about the change of times & direction it rose & set in, because of this a couple of years ago, I also went back to a spot to get a particular photo & no moon, now I know why.

I think it is the atmosphere, when you look at it that low you are looking sideways through the atmosphere, so through far more than if you look upwards, and through the most polluted bit too.

When you take star sights for celestial navigation you never use anything that low down because it isn't clear enough and there is too much distortion.

I think it is the atmosphere, when you look at it that low you are looking sideways through the atmosphere, so through far more than if you look upwards, and through the most polluted bit too.

When you take star sights for celestial navigation you never use anything that low down because it isn't clear enough and there is too much distortion.

One problem with taking the moon that low, on a long shutte speed, is because of the 'setting' it can go oblong & blurred, so you need to get as quick a shot as you can, allowing for the low light.

Back