Moon Shot

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd test my new 70-300 Lens, and I saw the moon was out to play so did my first ever moon shot. The others were too bright too recover, except this one.

4066463156_834d02e1ef_o.jpg

Nice. love the contrast. its a little bit blown out but it not in a bad way. check my fllickr for the one i did the other night was in manual 1/250 shutter and f8. my one looks more flat with less contrast that yours. I'll maybe try a wider apeture and/or longer shutter next time

Al

Last edited:
It's a little soft.
Exif says ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/60th @ 300mm.
I'd guess this was handheld, if so crank your ISO up to 800 which should give you a better shutter speed.
300mm isn't going to give you a great result on moon shots but the above should improve the shot :)

EDIT: Also use spot metering if in Aperture priority. It will stop the camera from over exposing the moon by trying to boost all the black.

Last edited:
It's a little soft.
Exif says ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/60th @ 300mm.
I'd guess this was handheld, if so crank your ISO up to 800 which should give you a better shutter speed.
300mm isn't going to give you a great result on moon shots but the above should improve the shot :)
Nor, it was on my Tripod, hence I put ISO at 100.

You therefor either have camera shake by wobbling the tripod, a focussing issue or 1/60th isn't fast enough to capture the moons movement.

Aye, the tripod was on very uneven ground, but nowhere really stable around here.

You therefor either have camera shake by wobbling the tripod, a focussing issue or 1/60th isn't fast enough to capture the moons movement.

mine isn't perfect either, so i can't really speak, but i was on a tripod also and i used remote trigger, also i found everything below 1/160 roughly quite soft. its surprising how quickly to moon moves in a viewfinder.

Al

mine isn't perfect either, so i can't really speak, but i was on a tripod also and i used remote trigger, also i found everything below 1/160 roughly quite soft. its surprising how quickly to moon moves in a viewfinder.

Al

I agree. The best moon shots i've got have been 1/250th @ ISO 800 using spot metering. If you're in aperture priority spot metering is a must otherwise your camera is trying to compensate for all that black, and you want black as contrast makes good moon shots.

Back