Moonrise at the lighthouse

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to capture the rising (almost) full moon over the city. It's not over the city yet but it did line up nicely with the bay lighthouse. A composite (obviously!) and far more photoshop than I usually go for, but great fun and I like the end result. I definitely want to try more moon photography, I do like the moon over the landscape so I think this will just be around the full moon each month.

Constructive C&C welcome, particularly on PP. I usually just stick to lightroom. This series of images was pre-processed in LR, then merged into one sky in Photoshop Elements for the composite.

Settings were ISO 100, F8, shutter speed around 1/60. I think this should ideally be faster and have read about setting at 1/250, but I wanted to keep the ISO low and keep some detail in the foreground.

Baku Moonrise by Alan, on Flickr

Hi Alan,

cool project! I would, in the converter and prior to
layering, have tried to pull out more details of the
climbing moon surface. :cool:

Hi Alan,

cool project! I would, in the converter and prior to
layering, have tried to pull out more details of the
climbing moon surface. :cool:
Thanks Kodiak, with hindsight I agree, I'll go back and rework, but I admit I prefer to be out shooting than post processing:) definitely a project, something like this needs a lot of planning and forethought!

something like this needs a lot of planning and forethought!

Yes, indeed. :eek:

Had I known before, I would have suggest to shoot
for the FG when the Moon was not there and shoot
only for the Moon all subsequent takes.

I love the idea. I'm sure one could quibble with the execution (as Kodiak says, more detail in the moon's surface would be good) but equally sure I'm sure you'll work on that as you do more of them.

Interesting idea. I believe a national geographic photographer did something similar with the stages of the eclipse, making a composite landscape image

Very novel,nice to see..well done. (y)

Useful points raised by KQC. too.

Back