More abstract impressionism landscapes...

Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Continuing on from this thread.. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=387597

As a member said in the last thread, I seemed to "polarise" opinions on the board with these photographs, which made me glad. I hope to continue to share these unless someone would prefer that I didn't. They're here in the Landscapes and Scenery section since they're always taken in a landscape environment, and I take them the same way I would if I were shooting landscapes.

Yesterday I went to a geothermal park (New Zealand) and tried out the technique I've been messing around with for the past couple of months. These two results couldn't have left me happier. I hope they evoke for whoever looks at them some of the feelings they give me. They almost feel like I haven't actually taken and produced them, but rather someone or something else did, and I'm just appreciating it.

As usual, every opinion is valued and I love to hear your thoughts.

Still loving the style and effect you're creating Anton, do you have a Market for these at all? The images you're producing are very saleable in my opinion(y)

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this but with a night time city environment instead of a landscape. The first really does remind me of some darkroom stuff I did way back, moving the print around during development time and doing a lot of funky dodge 'n burn!

I like the style a lot, I like to see imperfect photography when it's on purpose. It's always a refreshing change. My only concern is it's so easy to pump out a ton of work these days it would start to loose it's appeal quite quickly, so for me if I were doing this each shot would have to be rather special. Have you seen Tony Sweet's work? he does some nice abstracts now and then, uses a soft filter of some sorts, which could help you to reduce sharp edges?

I like these - I've been a fan of Chris Friel for quite some time and was about to remark on the similarities until I noticed your link to your other thread and realised you'd mentioned him. I think these are well done and have a great atmosphere/mood. I think the only problem with the style is that a lot of images can be very samey and it needs constant work to produce something new and distinct (but thats probably true of all landscape work).

I've been thinking of having a dabble at this sort of thing for a while.

apologies at having missed previous posts.........

Just what are they off, and what technique has been applied?

I a struggling to get my head around it.... to me it looks like you've set focus at 1m on manual and then shot a blurry landscape........ sorry but at the moment, I am not getting it.

Still loving the style and effect you're creating Anton, do you have a Market for these at all? The images you're producing are very saleable in my opinion(y)

Thanks very much. I'm not sure there is a market, though I have never pursued looking for one - its for personal pleasure. Though I can imagine some people would like them hanging on a wall, I don't think I'm comfortable enough to go down that path yet. :)

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this but with a night time city environment instead of a landscape. The first really does remind me of some darkroom stuff I did way back, moving the print around during development time and doing a lot of funky dodge 'n burn!

I like the style a lot, I like to see imperfect photography when it's on purpose. It's always a refreshing change. My only concern is it's so easy to pump out a ton of work these days it would start to loose it's appeal quite quickly, so for me if I were doing this each shot would have to be rather special. Have you seen Tony Sweet's work? he does some nice abstracts now and then, uses a soft filter of some sorts, which could help you to reduce sharp edges?

Always great to get comments like this. I would love to be able to try out this sort of thing on film but whilst travelling its a little hard to start demanding hobbies like darkroom processing - though not impossible. I had a look at Tony Sweet but didn't know where to look for the shots you were describing. In regards to the soft filter, the shots seem to come out soft enough with the technique, and I actually intentionally over-sharpen them in post since I like the scratchy effect that is left behind on textures that reflected light strongly. In regards to workflow, I'll comment on that below...

I think the only problem with the style is that a lot of images can be very samey and it needs constant work to produce something new and distinct (but thats probably true of all landscape work).

This is very true, and I have managed to see in some of my last sets that some of the images so end up looking a little similar, but that is down to subject, technique and processing. I have tried to mix it up a little each time I have went out and I do see variety. Fun fact: for the first shot, I actually fell backwards while taking the exposure. You see how the board path has double-exposed? I tripped over. For me, right now, its incredibly inspirational to see some of my work come out like this as well as the refreshing change from standard photography, so I'm keen to keep getting out there and trying new things just to see what happens. But I respected very much about comparing that to regular landscapes - its very true, at least in my experience. But as you said, it needs "constant work". I might not be able to put that in every week, but over time, I am. I think the reward is more that justifying. :)

apologies at having missed previous posts.........

Just what are they off, and what technique has been applied?

I a struggling to get my head around it.... to me it looks like you've set focus at 1m on manual and then shot a blurry landscape........ sorry but at the moment, I am not getting it.

You're trying to "get" it, that's the problem. I don't mean to sound pretentious. I was getting a little fed up of taking photographs and having people comment on exposure, light, filters, processing, sharpening, contrast, tones, curves... all of that which really detracts on what the photograph is supposed to be about. I understand this is a photography forum and with it is supposed to come some kind of a learning curve - I know I certainly learned things from here. But this isn't a technical exercise to demonstrate prowess... simply look, and if you like it, you like it. The technique is camera movement, and are of landscapes. Its supposed it be evocative. If it evokes nothing in you, then look at something else that does.

Still dont do anything for me mate sorry !! As there is no definate subject i think you might get a better response in the creative section , i just dont see this as photography , its only my opinion though :shrug:

To each his own... I'm not offended.

But the "just dont see this as photography" kind of reminds me of when people would say "i dont think i can even call this music" and it makes me smile everytime.

I like :) Although I also agree with a comment above that a "subject" might add something to make them even better!

Both very good though.

I get it and certainly like #2 - not as sure with #1 though. I tried something similar and find that sometimes they work but more times not.

I even wondered whether you should show a "normal" exposure along side - a kind of before and after - but I think that would take away from the style of images you are producing.

Lovely images, a new approach to me, one which I will be attempting myself soon.

I do like these, remind me a lot of something I intended to try out a while back but never got around to taking very far. Often for me the most enjoyable aspect of landscape photography is simply playing with colour contrasts and moods, and this seems like a good way of approaching that.

Inevitably with this sort of approach I think the quality of individual shots will be pretty variable, so it's important to be really brutal about which ones you pick out to show. For me the ones which work best are those where the multiple 'ghost' images of the same scene are not too noticeable, but I imagine it's tricky to balance that with leaving enough definition to give the images form.

I like them and the othes in the old thread, one thing i like about them is i dont know how you have done them, makes me think, i like that in photography, thinking about how something was created

Nothing new of course, but I think you use the technique better than a lot of people. First one in this thread is my favourite, and I think this thread as a whole is stronger than the other.

Have you seen Trent Mitchell's work using similar techniques? He was Capture's Emerging Photographer of the Year last year.

I'm trying to remember another photographer who published a series a while back as well.. will let you know if my brain wakes up. :)

Hi Anton

I understand where you are coming from with your images and I think you are moving in an interesting direction.

Of those posted here, I think ‘The water/scenery is from the Aratiatia Dam in Taupo’ works best for me, with that horizon line of reality adding to the intrigue and strength of the image.

I am looking forward to seeing more...
Sam-D

Really like this
6794078560_d5528d777c_z.jpg

As someone already said here, I think it's easy to make lots of these, which degrades them.

I saw your last post and really liked the photographs there, but now I think they're (nearly) ruined for me. You see, at first I thought I saw some really unique works of art, but I had a try at it. I put in no effort or thought at all, just defocussed slightly, shook the camera about a bit & set a strange white balance. It didn't come out with anything like you've got here, but that's because I was photographing my living room window. However, it made me understand how random and impersonal the technique is. Which is also, I think, why you 'don't feel like you've made them'.

What I've said is purely 'behind the scenes' though & doesn't attract from the photographs in themselves. The visual appeal is still very much there & I completely agree with you on the sharpness/contrast/tones thing. It's good to see something other than plain trees & hills in the landscape section!

-J

Last edited:
As someone already said here, I think it's easy to make lots of these, which degrades them.

I saw your last post and really liked the photographs there, but now I think they're (nearly) ruined for me. You see, at first I thought I saw some really unique works of art, but I had a try at it. I put in no effort or thought at all, just defocussed slightly, shook the camera about a bit & set a strange white balance. It didn't come out with anything like you've got here, but that's because I was photographing my living room window. However, it made me understand how random and impersonal the technique is. Which is also, I think, why you 'don't feel like you've made them'.

What I've said is purely 'behind the scenes' though & doesn't attract from the photographs in themselves. The visual appeal is still very much there & I completely agree with you on the sharpness/contrast/tones thing. It's good to see something other than plain trees & hills in the landscape section!

-J

That's interesting, Joe. I understand what you're saying but the "randomness" is sort of the appeal for me. As for being impersonal, I don't think that's the case. When I see a group full of tourists taking the same picture of the same thing, I'm not wondering what any of their results will look like - I'm wondering what mine will look like, and that's a very personal thing, for me at least.

Its more interesting for the fact that I had the quote you have there in your signature repeating in my head whilst taking this set. As I had already mentioned, it was in a geothermal park. Some of the rocks were boiling, as was the steam coming out of some of the vents, with clay littered everywhere. There were plenty of signs saying to "not go past this point", but I did - half because of that quote, half because I was trying to get the right light and a different point of view than the already pre-arranged positions to take a photograph. Just have a think about that and what you just said. Although I appreciate what you say about the technique, that's not all there is to it. You can have a great technique in bed and no do it for your partner. There's something else in the works. That's what I try to photograph.

Just reading back through my post - I appear to have came across a lot harsher than I meant. I completely understand the randomness being the appeal for you & it obviously shows in the final photographs. When I said impersonal I meant something else entirely, but appear to have got confused. I have had some pints tonight :LOL:

There is, of course, more to it than wiggling a camera about. I guess I was just surprised with how similar the effect was when I was playing about.

I apologise for my silly comments. As I said in your previous thread, I really like this set and enjoy the rare occasions where I get to see/read things like this on TP.

Last edited:
Anton as always these are great, I would be really happy to give these wall space (if I had enough of it!). (y)

Great stuff. I think no. 2 is the stand out for me. Very impressionist. Excellent :)

These are fabulous, number three is my favourite, really stunning and artistic. Almost watercolour, beautiful :)

Back