Beginner More Advise Please

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm in need of help on what equipment to recommend, as a background I've got to put forward a budget and list of equipment for my employers to purchase.

For our main photography (website, marketing, case studies etc) we use a professional, but we have a YouTube channel and social media where in the past we have put content up that has been filmed/shot on mobile phones etc so is very low quality.
We now want to spend some money to get a camera that will allow us to take videos (howto's, time lapse of installations etc) and images to use over social media (and possibly the website in the news section).

I mentioned £1500 as a budget last year and was shot down, so it needs to be less than this.

My initial thoughts would be a Sony a6xxx with a nice prime lens (I've had the a6000 in the past and was pleased with the results), lighting will be needed as the installation videos will be at times on building sites with poor lighting or in a basement etc.

would £1000.00 (ex vat) be enough for a camera, lens, tripod, lights and sd card?, i'd like to put forward a "good" option in the £1k range and a "best" option for say £1250.

Thanks

Sounds like quite a specific use you have - especially regarding lighting. My gut feel is that whatever camera you start with, you might soon encounter 'gotchas' that make you change your mind. There are quite a few YT channels where the owners run a business and like to show time-lapse/process workflow - car detailers, guitar builders, etc. Maybe some of them have done a "how we make our videos" movie that provides useful examples?

I suppose the low-risk approach would be to ask the pro photographer to spec the lighting and lens focal length to suit the spaces and light levels you have. Then see how much budget is required for a suitable camera. Also decide whether 4k video is necessary or over-the-top, so you don't get too distracted by it.

Annoyingly the Sony A6000 doesn't do time lapse as-is, but you can download an app to the camera for it. Latest models (A6400) do have it now.

have you thought of using a drone. it doesn't have to fly . just set it on a tripod or a table. it would have to be the most expensive , it would just have to have a decent camera. it may be worth looking at the dji mini. just a thought.

Thanks for the replies, 4k will be over the top for us, i did look at a drone (with a view of getting some footage of the factory at work from up high, but didn't consider it for anything else.
I have spoken to our regular photographer, she uses a 5d mk2 with a 50mm prime most of the time, lights shes only uses on the odd occasion so we can leave those for now.
So i'm thinking a6100 with a Sigma 30mm or Sony 50mm?

Back