"MORE" Bread

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
A few more bread images I took to record my baking fun.

My Daughter bought me a book for Christmas. Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish.

So I have now baked a selection from the book.

The method is much less work than other recipes I have followed but it's a way longer process.

The Dark photos were the first loafs I baked "Saturday Bread" as he calls them.

The lighter ones were his Harvest bread.

Had to buy a new knife for these crusts. That's how he bakes them apperantly.

Anyways there is no food section here so I feel this is the best section to post.

As always it would be great to get some feedbcak on any aspects of the images or the baking of the bread.

Thanks
Gaz

twV8QE6.jpg

AttaS5y.jpg

j0duw3G.jpg

xzwGamr.jpg

Love the first two, the other two are a little simple. That sounds a bit derogatory, but I don't mean it to be. It's just that the first two give a great sense of 'i want to eat that'.

Excellent :)

We bake all our own bread, marvellous :)

All good for me, perhaps #2 is the pick because it feels like I could reach in and grab a piece

#2 for me, close call with #1 though.Nice one.

The bread looks fantastic, if you were near me I would buy it from you ... yummy! :)

What Nostromo said.

" It's just that the first two give a great sense of 'i want to eat that'."

Love the first two, the other two are a little simple. That sounds a bit derogatory, but I don't mean it to be. It's just that the first two give a great sense of 'i want to eat that'.

HI there. Not derogatory at all. I know you to well to have taken it that way. I can see what you mean. TBH I seem to default to the darker style of photo and to me it feels like my food photos are more of a still life than anything else. Not sure how I can change that or maybe it's just my opinion and they don't come across that way.

With that in mind I was trying to be a little different than my norm.

I do find it difficult though.

Appreciate the critique very much.

Excellent 

We bake all our own bread, marvellous 

Thanks.

Yes the bread making is good fun. A great sense of achievement.

All good for me, perhaps #2 is the pick because it feels like I could reach in and grab a piece

Great that's good to hear.

Thanks

#2 for me, close call with #1 though.Nice one.

Cheers Nigel

The bread looks fantastic, if you were near me I would buy it from you ... yummy! 

High praise indeed.

Thanks appreciate you stopping by.

What Nostromo said.

" It's just that the first two give a great sense of 'i want to eat that'."

Thanks Martin.

It really is great to hear that. I guess that's what I was hoping to acheive when taking the image.

Gaz

Last edited:
No's 1 and 2 for me. Great set up and lighting.
Personally I would take the cloth away from the bottom right corner of both, as I feel it adds nothing to the images.

Definitely #2 for me. Looks really nice, and the lighting, pp and composition works so well (y)

That first one has a very 16th century Dutch still life feel to it. Lots of people seem to swear by Forkish, and that's a good first effort, what sort of hydration level was it? Yeast or sourdough rise? The big holes look like sourdough, but the overall texture looks a bit more yeast-like. I've been baking all our bread for about 30-odd years and aside from the odd forray into hipster stuff, I just turn the wheel on a standard loaf.

Definitely #2 for me. Looks really nice, and the lighting, pp and composition works so well (y)
Thanks Paul.
That first one has a very 16th century Dutch still life feel to it. Lots of people seem to swear by Forkish, and that's a good first effort, what sort of hydration level was it? Yeast or sourdough rise? The big holes look like sourdough, but the overall texture looks a bit more yeast-like. I've been baking all our bread for about 30-odd years and aside from the odd forray into hipster stuff, I just turn the wheel on a standard loaf.
Hi Ham

Forgive me I'm not a very technical type of person. The Saturday bread was a straight bread, as he refers to it. I did it 80% white flour 20% wholemeal plus instant yeast. Not sure on hydration but looking at the recipe it states 72% water. So i'm guessing thats the hydration ?

The Harvest loaf (lighter photos) 78% water. This recipe used a Poolish. A small amount of instant yeast, flour and water. Left for 12 to 14 hours.

All the breads in this book use small amounts of instant yeast and very long proofing times. Strange thing is you hardly touch the dough once mixed. He advocates folding the dough a few times. No kneading at all.

It's been fun to try a different aproach.

Thanks for stopping by.

Gaz

Interesting, thanks, although I've heard of Forkish I've not encountered his recipes (which are the antithesis of my normal bake which takes 2 hours from the start to out the oven ;) )

And yes, hydration is the percentage water, anything over 65% for white and 70% for wholemeal starts getting difficult to knead. Generally the higher hydration gives you better crust out the oven.

One thing I found recently (after being given a cheese making kit for xmas) is that using whey as liquid makes a great improvement to a white loaf, making it taste like a faux sourdough. Also, consider throwing in a handful of seeds into wholemeal, things like caraway seed really beef up the flavour of toast.

Interesting, thanks, although I've heard of Forkish I've not encountered his recipes (which are the antithesis of my normal bake which takes 2 hours from the start to out the oven ;) )

And yes, hydration is the percentage water, anything over 65% for white and 70% for wholemeal starts getting difficult to knead. Generally the higher hydration gives you better crust out the oven.

One thing I found recently (after being given a cheese making kit for xmas) is that using whey as liquid makes a great improvement to a white loaf, making it taste like a faux sourdough. Also, consider throwing in a handful of seeds into wholemeal, things like caraway seed really beef up the flavour of toast.
Yes total opposite for sure. They are a very long haul but less effort all you really do is mix the dough in a bowl by hand. Leave in said bowl return to it once or twice within the first hour or two and fold it over itself a couple of times. very little cleaning too. Turn it out shape and place in the proofing baskets, leave some time then bake.

You are correct you have to like a crusty loaf. These are to crusty for my other half but daughter and I liked them.

I did a brioche the other day and that was a time sucker but was worth it. Lovely cotton wool balls of bread.

I will try adding some seeds when I bake this recipe next time.

Thanks for the tip.

Link is for the Saturday bread you may like to read his method.

Gaz

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/saturday-white-bread-ken-forkish

Last edited:
Reactions: Ham
Interesting, would be worth a try one day, in some ways it's a little like how I bake my baguettes (actually I par-bake and freeze 'em in batches, from T55 flour) but with the baguettes I make at 75% but with double the normal yeast, then do multiple rises over at least 12 hours. The end result is like a french supermarket baguette in flavour and texture - ie better than just about any UK bakery - but not up to french independent bakers. Curious how the brioche shapes up - the recipe I use is (allegedly) authentic French: for 500g flour it uses 30ml water, 6 eggs and 250g butter. You can't knead it, you have to slap it about but it ain't half good. Not often selected as (a) it is a real faff to make for reasons of slappage and (b) it prompts a very rapid intake of calories.....

@Ham
Morning. Great to hear of your baking experiance I feel i'm going to learn lots from our conversation here.
The baguettes sound like a challenge but something to try in the future.
I may have misled you with the Brioche as the recipe for this was not one by Mr Forkish.
My Wife and Daughter are Vegan so can't eat eggs/dairy.
So the recipe is for a vegan Brioche. I have never baked the non vegan variety. The vegan one contains potatoe ! Which sounds odd. I assume this replaces the egg but not sure.
Anyways the bread turns out really great. Get's eaten very quickly for sure.
Yes the dough produced is very different that normal bread dough. It feels great in the hand though.
Can post link to recipe if your intrested to see the method.

Gaz

Reactions: Ham
I'm always interested in anything different, a brioche this size with my recipe has more than 4,000 calories! Looks innocent, doesn't it? I'm assuming there must be some fat in the vegan version? (the page I found that picture has only half the amount of eggs, otherwise quite similar. Those additional 3 eggs ramp up the handling difficulty more than a little ;)

IME, anything up to 60% hydration is as easy by machine as by hand. from around 65% - 75% machine is possibly easier especially at the higher levels, over 75% it has to be hand as the dough overloads the machine. I used to knead all bread by hand, and find it quite therapeutic, but a while back I discovered my Magimix makes such quick work of it, that I mostly do that now. I suspect my Kenwood with a dough hook might be better still, but that's another level of faff to deploy which just isn't warranted,

Brioche-a-tete_9567[1].jpg

@Ham

Thanks for link. Love the photo above makes you really want to taste that Brioche.

The vegan version as 220gm Vegan butter or marg in our case.

I did use a stand mixer for the brioche dough. I was given the mixer many years ago, it were in the loft i'd never used it until this recipe came along.

It just about mixes the dough before over heating and cutting out

I prefer to mix by hand as I enjoy that side of it. I'm a home bird so bread making is a good fit for me as I can do some gardening or other task and come back to the bread making process as the day passes.

Gaz

Last edited:
@Ham

I prefer to mix by hand as I enjoy that side of it. I'm a home bird to so bread making is a good fit for me as I can do some gardening or other task and come back to the bread making process as the day passes.

Gaz

Ah yes, I haven't actually shared with my family how kneading wholemeal after gardening leaves your hands miraculously clean :D

I too enjoy making by hand, but these days because I also bake for my daughter's family of 5 I go for speed and ease.

Very tasty work.
I acquired a new bread making machine about a couple of years ago. When I’m in the mood I make a loaf every now and then. Very yummy :cool:

Very tasty work.
I acquired a new bread making machine about a couple of years ago. When I’m in the mood I make a loaf every now and then. Very yummy :cool:
Thanks Emmet. I agree home baked bread,is indeed, yummy.

Happy baking :)

Gaz

Back