More British GT from Silverstone

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
It's been a while since I've shot or posted anything here, so here's a small selection of rust busters as I try to remember what I'm doing.

1. GT4 at Speed
British GT - Round 2 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Pit Inception

3. The Generic BRDC shot

4. Angus Fender Hanging out

5. Big Motor Wagon

6. Blurry Merc

7. Jonny Adam

8. Safe

Love them and thanks for sharing. Love the blurry Merc and maybe I'm expecting too much when I get images like that as I'm trying get all the car sharp not just the front. I see the images I get, then bin them as I think they're not good enough. Doh.

Love them and thanks for sharing. Love the blurry Merc and maybe I'm expecting too much when I get images like that as I'm trying get all the car sharp not just the front. I see the images I get, then bin them as I think they're not good enough. Doh.
Unless you're fairly square on to the side of the car you'll never get it all sharp at slow shutter speeds. The car is turning so the back is moving at a different relative speed and in a different plane to the front, and your sensor. Something like that anyway, I know it's physically impossible to do. As long as the front of the car is sharp like the shot here I think it looks good and adds to the impression of speed.

Puts mine to shame. I guess you were in front of the fences though!

Puts mine to shame. I guess you were in front of the fences though!
I wouldn’t say so, looks like you did a good job. It’s no doubt a bit easier to get some variety when working media but Silverstone provides a lot of opportunities for fence shooters if you know how to deal with them. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that the bib is magic… some of my, and many other photographer’s, best shots are taken through the fences from spectator areas

Unless you're fairly square on to the side of the car you'll never get it all sharp at slow shutter speeds. The car is turning so the back is moving at a different relative speed and in a different plane to the front, and your sensor. Something like that anyway, I know it's physically impossible to do. As long as the front of the car is sharp like the shot here I think it looks good and adds to the impression of speed.
Thank you for the explanation and I’ll give it a shot this weekend.

Top quality as always. Good to see you back out shooting again

Cheers Rich, its been a bit of a slog... hopefully on the mend now though

Thanks man, yeah as Rich said unless you're using Photoshop, physics will always prevent a 100% sharp shot when panning 3/4 angles at low speed but I agree it doesn't look bad so long as its the front that's sharp and not the back :)

I wouldn’t say so, looks like you did a good job. It’s no doubt a bit easier to get some variety when working media but Silverstone provides a lot of opportunities for fence shooters if you know how to deal with them. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that the bib is magic… some of my, and many other photographer’s, best shots are taken through the fences from spectator areas

I've had a bib before, all be it 15 years ago and more, so I know the main thing you gain is flexibility and a better contrast and a higher hit rate, (better aperture/shutter control and no fence to confuse the focusing) not neceserily a better shot. For example for my panning shots infront of the BRDC clubhouse, to keep the aperture high and avoid the fence I was shooting at ISO 50, F4 with a 3 stop square ND and filter holder on the front of my lens...! even then 60/70% of shots caught the fence and caused lack of contrast and the cross hatch pattern across my shots.

This is why I love Rallying as - A.) there are no fences or real restrictions, and B.) its in some beautiful locations...!

Glad to see you're still shooting and mangling Johnny! First and last are the picks for me.

I have a stack of bgt work from Oulton on my hdd that needs mangling. I've been to lots of events the past few months, but have been stuck for something to do with them. 500px is full of bots, Flickr is half dead, Instagram causes your work to instantly disappear into the ether, Facebook is toxic...

I think I might start posting here again in the motorsport forum, I need to do more printing too.

Not much point taking the shots if you do nothing with them! I don't make money from it - I do it fir the passion of it, and a love of motorsport.

I've had a bib before, all be it 15 years ago and more, so I know the main thing you gain is flexibility and a better contrast and a higher hit rate, (better aperture/shutter control and no fence to confuse the focusing) not neceserily a better shot. For example for my panning shots infront of the BRDC clubhouse, to keep the aperture high and avoid the fence I was shooting at ISO 50, F4 with a 3 stop square ND and filter holder on the front of my lens...! even then 60/70% of shots caught the fence and caused lack of contrast and the cross hatch pattern across my shots.

This is why I love Rallying as - A.) there are no fences or real restrictions, and B.) its in some beautiful locations...!

Sorry didn't mean to imply I was trying to teach you to suck eggs :) I'm surprised you still suffer from the fence at F4 tbh - I know it's definitely more of an issue when the sun is bright causing focus issues but in my experience, that's more down to glare than the fence (it was really bad on Sunday, regardless of where I stood), the hatching is an issue but again at F4 it's a surprise. I've done my fair share of fence battling
Carlos Sainz - Mclaren Renault - Silverstone 2019 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thomas Luthi - CarXpert Interwetten by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Glad to see you're still shooting and mangling Johnny! First and last are the picks for me.

I have a stack of bgt work from Oulton on my hdd that needs mangling. I've been to lots of events the past few months, but have been stuck for something to do with them. 500px is full of bots, Flickr is half dead, Instagram causes your work to instantly disappear into the ether, Facebook is toxic...

I think I might start posting here again in the motorsport forum, I need to do more printing too.

Not much point taking the shots if you do nothing with them! I don't make money from it - I do it fir the passion of it, and a love of motorsport.

Thanks pal.... Yeah I tend to use Flickr just host bigger images and the rest is all Instagram... I don't do too badly there but I have been posting pretty tactically for 7 years

Sorry didn't mean to imply I was trying to teach you to suck eggs :) I'm surprised you still suffer from the fence at F4 tbh - I know it's definitely more of an issue when the sun is bright causing focus issues but in my experience, that's more down to glare than the fence (it was really bad on Sunday, regardless of where I stood), the hatching is an issue but again at F4 it's a surprise. I've done my fair share of fence battling
Carlos Sainz - Mclaren Renault - Silverstone 2019 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thomas Luthi - CarXpert Interwetten by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks pal.... Yeah I tend to use Flickr just host bigger images and the rest is all Instagram... I don't do too badly there but I have been posting pretty tactically for 7 years
Yeah, I'm weighing up whether to sign up to Flickr pro again for the BBcode posting (I deleted my old account as the place was pretty much dead).

This place fills a real gap in the market for a proper photographers' community. I will run with a free Flickr account until I have too many images.

@Fireproof Creative Jonny these are all simply stunning!

I am now Following you on Flickr! My efforts on panning have been on trains.

Do you ever use a Dot Sight? If so, I wondered if it helped tracking.

.... Thanks for explaining this. Some of my best panned train images suffer from this but actually, providing the front is sharp, the speed effect still works < As you say. (y)

Back