More d*m kites - sorry!! 2 more added 28/3

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
How can I resist these I really must stop taking photos of them :LOL::LOL:

I find them just fantastic though.

Still not as sharp as I would like it to be just keep on practicing I guess :)

Last edited:
lol, I'm the same with these birds :)
I brought my camera with me today to try to get out at lunchtime too, we've got a pair of buzzards which seem to hover around our building, so am hoping to see them today.

wrt to these 2, the second one is much sharper, maybe a little play with the levels and a small unsharp mask would bring out the detail a treat.

The first one, I think it what I spent too much time doing, and that is trying too hard to get the shot, where actually he is *just* really out of reach of the lens. ie, you're making the lens work too hard.
I suspect the top one is a fairly heavy crop again, and again a bit of PP should bring him back a bit.

I've found that I'm not going for the shots where he is over 100ft (ish) away from me, and just try to have some patience and wait for him to circle down to 50-100ft level. I'm thinking that the second shot was when he was much lower as he is much sharper and the lens hasn't stretched.

What lens are you using? the second says it was at 323mm? (no exif on the first).

Good old sigma 120 - 400 not much cropping cone as they were low as I just fed them :LOL: I have sharpened it a bit but perhaps I should have binned it .

F8.0 1/1000 ISO 800 spot metering

Last edited:
Chicken wings old pheasants out of the freezer (we shoot also!) any dead chickens, I shoot rabbits for them.

We have ( 300 chickens here free range :LOL:) oh and they pick of my live bantams when they feel hungry- little blighters!!!

I can guaranteee within 10 minutes of feeding them( providing there is one around to call the rest) there is a frenzy out here and you have a job which one to take photos of.!!!!!!

Last edited:
If you want a meet here then you are more than welcome ( make sure it is a nice day) but can't offer that much in the way of animals except Kites (if they feel like dropping in) may be lucky with the bizzards, chickens and dogs, tractors and old machinery and whatever else you can find. Just let me know and we can arrange a date and I can start feeding the kites during that week.

Won't be that exciting though as cannot match Cotswold W. P.:LOL::LOL:

If you want a meet here then you are more than welcome ( make sure it is a nice day) but can't offer that much in the way of animals except Kites (if they feel like dropping in) may be lucky with the bizzards, chickens and dogs, tractors and old machinery and whatever else you can find. Just let me know and we can arrange a date and I can start feeding the kites during that week.

Won't be that exciting though as cannot match Cotswold W. P.:LOL::LOL:

Sounds like a fantastic place you have there - would love to be so close to the kites !

Yep I am really so lucky, had about 30 here today feeding, found them another source of food and they love it. I won't post on here what it is as it may offend :| I feed them everday now at nearly the same time.

Just give me a shout when you want to come and I won't feed them.

Sort out a day when is best for you guys?

Will be back on line tomoz P.M. as working tomorrwo and out tonight so hopefully we can get something arranged I am free all week except Tuesday A.M.

They're great !!

What a difference a blue sky makes to shooting them :D

Looks like you're starting to really get the hang of it now, I'd best get practicing ;)

2 more from today and this one was against clouds,

035-2.jpg

039.jpg

I've not kept my eye on this thread for a couple of days, but I'd love to come down if anything is arranged. I have a 300 2.8 with a 1.4 TC (Nikon) if anyone wants to have a play !

If anyone is up for a meet here then you are more than welcome I can't guarantee what will arrive but I do know that when I put food out for them they usually arrive in about 5 - 10 mins. So an afternoon meet would be better as they do like feeding around the 4 p.m. mark.

If no one wants a meet then anyone is more than welcome to come over at any time just give me advanced warning and I can get in some more day old chicks (yes, they have been dispatched) for them and also chicken wings so there is plenty of food for them.

As I said all we are is a farm with kites that visit, so nothing that compares with Cotswold Wildlife Park or anything like that but I can offer you a free cup of tea and cake and a chat so hope the weather is o.k. as my house is not that big :LOL: no good anyway if the weather not suitable. I think Rob C will vouch for that (y)

Just let me know who would want to come and then we can probably take it from there.

We may be able to coincide it with some parachute jumping which happens along the road from here (about 5 mins by car) if anyone interested in taking photos of that also, they jump on Sundays through the summer weather permitting.

Thats a fantastic offer Nicki......I am very interested, I would probably prefer weekends but could also manage something during the week if needed ??

Anyone else got any preferences ??

Back