More ferrofluid

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
A few more from tonights play with the infamous ferrofluid, managed to contain the mess this time (well, sort of!). Apologies for the watermarking but a few of my shots have been hotlinked / leeched...

Take 2 bolts, 2 magnets and keep them seperated (the bolts are not exactly straight but one is out CW, the other is out CCW so I can't easily correct it):
p163100920-4.jpg

Bring 'em a bit closer and the ferrofluid flows between the two:
p296203666-4.jpg

Couple of nuts!
p220555487-4.jpg

Crop
p42876207-4.jpg

All images stacked from 3 shots...

Carl

I like the crop... looks very cool :)

Me thinks you've been bitten by the Ferrofluid bug!

Great shots, I particularly like the "keep them apart / move them together" sequence.

Me thinks you've been bitten by the Ferrofluid bug!

Great shots, I particularly like the "keep them apart / move them together" sequence.

:D All your fault!!! I might do those three as a triptych??

I love these, iv'e just got myself some to have a little play, whats your set up like for these, i hear its pretty messy stuff if you get it wrong

I'll do some setup shots this weekend and get 'em in the "show us your macro rig" thread.

The biggest issue is the magnets / bolts etc suddenly snapping togther, this will spit ferrofluid everywhere and even the tiniest dot of ferrfluid will crete a huge smear... I always have plenty of kitchen roll and a bowl of hot soapy water at hand as once you get this stuff on your hands etc you don't want to be touching anything else as is gets everywhere...

Imagine soot in oil and you get an idea what you're dealing with!!

:D All your fault!!! I might do those three as a triptych??

I'll do some setup shots this weekend and get 'em in the "show us your macro rig" thread.

The biggest issue is the magnets / bolts etc suddenly snapping togther, this will spit ferrofluid everywhere and even the tiniest dot of ferrfluid will crete a huge smear... I always have plenty of kitchen roll and a bowl of hot soapy water at hand as once you get this stuff on your hands etc you don't want to be touching anything else as is gets everywhere...

Imagine soot in oil and you get an idea what you're dealing with!!

cheers that will be useful, im a clumsy bugger too so i think it could all end in tears. I could do with learning a bit about the movement and physics to understand a bit more.

soot and oil hmmmmm messy!!!

Carl, that's amazing... :clap::clap: <scuttles off to look up ferrofluid and how to make it :D>

I totally agree the images and ides are just spot on. I just love the creative and technical side of photography it's amazing.

Allan

Thanks Allan, I'm a huge science nerd so I love this kind of stuff, my studio is full of petri dishes, syringes, bottles of weird goop... love it!

That is crazy stuff Carl, have you made a mess with it yet?

This stuff looks mental! What is it actually used for. Apart from producing some pretty cool photos!

I make enough mess with the smoke and water droplets, I don't dare try this stuff out!!

This stuff looks mental! What is it actually used for. Apart from producing some pretty cool photos!

I make enough mess with the smoke and water droplets, I don't dare try this stuff out!!

It's used for cooling high power speakers and apparently NASA use it for zero-g bearings for space missions?!?! Outer space is probably the safest place for it....

Back