More from the August wasp's nest

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Last August in this thread and this thread I posted images of activity around a wasp's nest in our garden. Those were captured using the Canon 500D close-up lens on my Panasonic FZ200 and G5 and Canon 70D. Trawling through my backlog yesterday I found some more images of activity around the nest. They were captured using more powerful (and for these subjects more difficult to use) close-up lenses, 4 using the Raynox 150 and 12 using Marumi 200. All but one were captured using the FZ200, the other one with the G5.

At +5 diopters, the Marumi 200 is almost exactly the same power as the Raynox 150 (4.8 diopters). However, the Marumi 200 has a much larger diameter than the Raynox 150, which means that it vignettes less (hardly at all in fact) at shorter focal lengths and therefore can cover a much wider range of (low) magnifications than the Raynox 150, which suffers from heavy vignetting at shorter focal lengths. This makes the Marumi 200 very attractive to me in principle, and I used it intensively for several days and confirmed that the extra range of magnifications is very useful in practice. However, I then did a controlled side by side comparison between the Marumi 200 and the Raynox 150, which showed that the Marumi 200 was significantly less sharp than the Raynox 150 and significantly more prone to chromatic aberration (for example see this post.) As a result I haven't used the Marumi 200 since then.

Still, while the Marumi 200 shots might not be as sharp as they would have been with the Raynox 150, I thought they were interesting enough to post anyway.

The Raynox 150 shots are #1, #2, #6 and #7. The Panasonic G5 shot is #8.

All of the shots used flash. Some used my pie tin flash on Metz 58-AF2 flash unit, and some were early shots using the KX800 twin flash (I don't know what diffusion arrangement I used).

All of the FZ200 shots used base ISO 100 and minimum aperture of f/8. The G5 shot used ISO 400 with minimum aperture of f/22. The reason a higher ISO was used with the G5 is that the G5, having a larger sensor than the FZ200, needs a smaller aperture to get the same depth of field, and that in turn needs more light from the flash. So to avoid excessively long recycle times with the G5 I turned up the ISO so as to reduce the output needed from the flash.

All but two of the FZ200 shots used 1/1600 sec, the other two 1/640sec (don't know why). The G5 shot used 1/160 sec, which is the max flash sync speed of the G5.

The images were (initial, batch) processed in DXO Optics Pro 10 and then (individually) processed in Lightroom 6.

As usual there are 1300 pixel high versions over at Flickr

The second post is all in-flight images.

0808 01 2015_08_xx FZ200 R150 P1050096_DxO LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0808 02 2015_08_xx FZ200 R150 P1050098_DxO LR 1300h

0808 03 2015_08_xx FZ200 M200 P1060110_DxO LR 1300h

0808 05 2015_08_xx FZ200 M200 P1060095_DxO LR 1300h

0808 07 2015_08_xx FZ200 M200 P1060214_DxO LR 1300h

0808 11 2015_08_xx FZ200 R150 P1090702_DxO LR 1300h

0808 12 2015_08_xx FZ200 R150 P1090703_DxO LR 1300h

0808 10 2015_08_xx G5 M200 P1060544_DxO LR 1300h

Continued in next post.

Last edited:
Great set of images Nick and a great study of some fascinating creatures.

The in inflight shots are great but my favourites are the behavioural shot like the first with the mud and the one chewing up the leaf.

Great set of images Nick and a great study of some fascinating creatures.

The in inflight shots are great but my favourites are the behavioural shot like the first with the mud and the one chewing up the leaf.

Thanks Alf. Yes, it's good if you can catch some behaviours. I was pleased with #3 and #4 as I've never photographed that before. I assume they are grooming, cleaning off their antennae.

Fascinating set Nick and hard to pick a fave! I really like No.8 the rusty leaf colour sets the wasp off well. I would be tempted to crop out the top left hand corner though if it was mine.
Great stuff!

Superb set of images Nick - very brave to get close and flash them around the nest if you ask me.

Crop version is a good improvement too.

Thanks Chris. They didn't seem to be bothered during the day. They were flying past me continually to the left and the right, quite close, but didn't hang around. they had more important things to do I suppose. At night though it was rather different. There would be half a dozen or so at the entrance to the nest, not moving. Quite soon after I started shining the focusing light on them and started taking pictures they started "coming to life". And within a couple of minutes they had started flying. And this time, they buzzed around my head. I backed off.

The 2nd one is just amazing, as it takes off or lands, I can imagine it was a very hard one to take, and as I assume you were close a bit scary, too

The 2nd one is just amazing, as it takes off or lands, I can imagine it was a very hard one to take, and as I assume you were close a bit scary, too

Thanks Plamen. It was chance and perseverance mainly rather than skill. I spent a number of hours over several days kneeling in front of the nest (it was a hole in the ground under a big bush) with the wasps flying past me. I had the focus fixed and I just kept taking shots. They moved so fast that it wasn't possible to wait until one was lined up nicely in the frame and then press the shutter button - all I got for that approach was one empty frame after another. For incoming wasps what I did was to hold my finger poised and tensed, pready to press the shutter button the instant I sensed any movement at all at the edge of the frame. For outgoing wasps, at certain angles I could see them as they crawled up the tunnel towards the entrance, but I couldn't tell exactly when they would emerge. So for these too it was a matter of pressing the shutter button the moment I sensed anything around the centre of the frame. Most of the time I got either an empty frame, or an out of focus wasp or two or three, or one that was partly in focus but still not worth keeping, or in focus and half out of the frame or on the very edge of the frame. I captured thousands of images (no, I'm not exaggerating) and spent ages trawling through them looking for the odd one that had worked.

So, it was pure chance as to the ones that came out nicely.

Back