More from the MotoGP at Silverstone

With these great captures, you should invest
yourself more in post processing skills. :cool:

^+1 Agreed, good set. Not sure what Kodiak means as they look good to me, care to expand, or show an example of before and after. Please take that the way intended, I'd like to learn where these could be improved (and more importantly - how).
Matt

I agree, they are a great set of pictures but I think that they could do with a little more contrast they do look a bit flat on my screen. Not a criticism just a personal vue.

Not sure what Kodiak means as they look good to me, care to expand, or show an example of before and after.
Very good shooting skills, but inconsistent exposures/editing. White balance, exposure, and dynamic range is all over the place... the OP has "no" to edits...

I'd like to learn where these could be improved (and more importantly

My answer was beautifully spoken through Steven's reply:
Very good shooting skills, but inconsistent exposures/editing. White balance, exposure, and dynamic range is all over the place... the OP has "no" to edits...

My answer was beautifully spoken through Steven's reply:
Shame the op has "no" to edits because I would have loved to have seen a before and after comparison.
Matt

Shame the op has "no" to edits because I would have loved to have seen a before and after comparison.
Matt

Hi Matt

If you search at the top of the thread for "rendition" and User "Kodiak Qc" you will see numerous mentions and a few efforts of what Kodiak was saying :):). It is a recurring theme on here :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul

Matt
Just compare the blacks and whites in #2,3,and 4 (#2 is particularly off)... I would say #4 is probably the best of the set overall.
Hi Matt

If you search at the top of the thread for "rendition" and User "Kodiak Qc" you will see numerous mentions and a few efforts of what Kodiak was saying :):). It is a recurring theme on here :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul
Maybe so, but in this case he is right...

Do you mean I should stop that or what?

I thought the forum etiquette was that if I wanted C+C I would add "C+C welcome" in my post. You know nothing about me or my desire to get into detailed PP so please do not offer me advice unless I ask for it. Thanks ;)

Just compare the blacks and whites in #2,3,and 4 (#2 is particularly off)... I would say #4 is probably the best of the set overall.

Maybe so, but in this case he is right...

Hmmmm

Last edited:
Taking a neutral stance-
I like them all and I'd be chuffed if they were mine....I'm abroad on holiday and viewing on an iPhone so hard to judge quality too critically ( if I was asked...)... the intro mentions different equipment, different days & conditions and a "soft" lens...

I've asked for C&C before and was a bit taken aback by some of it but there were also some really constructive stuff that helped me...

To be fair if you post you will get a mixture of responses ... but again I like what Uve done given the conditions... sorry forgot to mention the fence too...[emoji106]

I thought the forum etiquette was

Then, Paul, you posted in a wrong section
as this one is "sharing & critique"…

… and should you not wish any critique, which

is perfectly legitimate, why come in a forum?
why not go social média?

You know nothing about me
and that's no way I will or want to, for sure
please do not offer me advice
Most certainly, adios!

… /

I thought the forum etiquette was that if I wanted C+C I would add "C+C welcome" in my post. You know nothing about me or my desire to get into detailed PP so please do not offer me advice unless I ask for it. Thanks ;)
I don't understand this... Why would anyone object to constructive critique?
I've been taking pictures for the better part of 4 decades and I still learn/relearn things. And I make silly mistakes/miss things more often than I'd like to admit...

To be fair to the OP I think most people looking at those photos would have thought he had done a hell of a good job, me included. There was perhaps a degree of grey in the whites in some of the shots, some had brilliant whites, so maybe the exposure was a tad off, I thought the blacks were deep black. As for the colour balance, again I couldn't see much wrong.
What I really liked though was the composition and the fact the fence was obscured enough to be invisible, not easy at Silverstone, something perhaps Kodiak and Steve may not have appreciated.
Some of the greatest photos ever taken are/were technically all over the place but the feeling and content completely over rode that and maybe since we went digital we lost that someplace.
The biggest shame is that these photos are no longer on TP and I get the feeling the OP will post little of his work here now and we are all the poorer for it.

Matt

Last edited:
To be fair…

"To be fair" you say?

Both Steven and I recognized the shooting skills and
commented on the quality of the renditions only. Fair.

Imaging such takes rendered with a minimum care…

As for the colour balance, again I couldn't see much wrong.
I actually did a before/after thinking the OP would be open to constructive feedback and allow it this time... the second image was notably green overall.
Some of the greatest photos ever taken are/were technically all over the place but the feeling and content completely over rode that and maybe since we went digital we lost that someplace.
No, I still firmly believe in content over technical... I've seen many more great but technically flawed images than I've seen technically perfect images that are also moving/emotional. But there's no reason why one negates the other. And if you can create an image that has both, why wouldn't you want to?
I get the feeling the OP will post little of his work here now and we are all the poorer for it.
143 posts in almost 10yrs...

I'm not against critique per but personally I would welcome a before and after, in this case the OP didn't want that, so I have started another thread asking for examples and advise, so far all it has attracted is written comments, shame as I and I expect a few would love to see practical examples.
Steve & Kodiak perhaps you would like to add to that thread practical examples?
Matt

Strange direction for a thread to go when it is specifically posted in the Sharing and CRITIQUE section.

not really, anything posted in the photo sharing areas, other than in the "Photos for pleasure" section is pretty much "fair game" for critique. If you really don't want to learn and improve, then you're best off posting exclusively in there.

ETA: oh, and for what it's worth, as a staff member, I can roll back into the edits, and I've had a look at the images, and pretty much agree 100% with @sk66 and @Kodiak Qc 's appraisal of the shots - they're cracking photo's, slightly spolied by the proverbial "ha'porth of tar" PP wise...

Last edited:
Back