more help with the internet please.!! ALL OK NOW !!!

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys does anyone have a bt home hub modem.

what i need is to know what the telephone cable is called that comes out of the hub and goes into the laptop.
it is the socket next to the erthernet socket. the socket is green if this helps...

thanks in advance

md(y)

ps i am still searching myself but i am stuggling...:shrug:

It's an ethernet cable also known as an RJ45 cable:

No it's not... It's a UK telephone plug socket....

Officially known as Plug No. 431A

The cable you're after (if you're connecting to an old modem in the laptop) is a std Telephone to RJ11 cable.

If, however, you are mistaken and are connecting the laptop to the Hub to use the DSL connection via Ethernet, then Defiance is correct and it's an RJ45 straight through cable you want. The 2 ethernet ports on the Hub are yellow.

well it is the name of the cable that goes from the hub to a laptop, which was the question ;)

i think it is the telephone socket but it goes from the hub to the laptop.
the connection is the same size as the ethernet socket.:shrug:

i think it is the telephone socket but it goes from the hub to the laptop.
the connection is the same size as the ethernet socket.:shrug:

In that case it is an ethernet cable, or Cat 5 cable with RJ45 connectors, same thing. It would make absolute sense for it to be this kind of cable connecting a hub [or router] with a computer, that is the norm for wired networks Dave....

....though does beg the question, dose the 'ethernet' socket have a cable and if so, where is that going? :thinking:

MD... If you are using the Hub to connect your laptop to the DSL line, then you will have it connected via an ethernet cable to one of the 2 yellow RJ45 ports on the hub, OR connected via a USB cable from the blue USB port on the hub.

If you are connecting your laptop to the hub via the green telephone port, then you are using a std 56k modem to dial up, which is a total waste of your broadband :D

:eek:

right back to the start..

i was trying to get the farther inlaws laptop " about 7 years old" online he has just got the hub .. waited the 24hours for it to work properly.. and could not get it to go online..

it is a wireless conection but i thought the laptop might need to be hard wired.. or is this what the erthernet cable does..

i took my laptop around and got that online " wireless"

so i am a bit stuck as to what to try...

all i could get was dialing for the internet..

when i went into control panel . then internet options it was telling me broadband was disconected..

md:shrug: :nuts::shrug:

you need to connect it through the ethernet cable then

still the same with the erthernet cable connected ..

it wont even take me to a page to tell me there is no internet connection..

:bang:

it should connect straight away, also bypassing any security settings the Hub will have. These only apply to wireless connections.

if you plug an ethernet (LAN) cable from computer to Hub and then open internet explorer it should just be connected

it should connect straight away, also bypassing any security settings the Hub will have. These only apply to wireless connections.

if you plug an ethernet (LAN) cable from computer to Hub and then open internet explorer it should just be connected

this is what i thought...

but trust me for some reason it is not doing this...

i loaded the cd onto the lappy and tried to click on the bt icon but still nowt...

md:bang:

what settings he got in ie or ff??? if it is set to use dial up, it wont use the wireless or ethernet for internet.

silly question, does he have the home page set to blank??

what settings he got in ie or ff??? if it is set to use dial up, it wont use the wireless or ethernet for internet.

also, in network connections, the ethernet connection isn't disabled is it?

oh, and is windows firewall on or off?

ie

set to dial up :shrug: i'm unsure where would i find this out and change...

as for blank not sure ive seen this before...

md:shrug:

also, in network connections, the ethernet connection isn't disabled is it?

oh, and is windows firewall on or off?

:shrug:

i will try and look tommorrow night and see what i can do

md(y)

the address in the top bar, can be set to about:blank, which just shows a white background.

the dial up settings are in tools>options. then click the connections tab across the top. make sure never dial a connection is selected, and then click the lan settings at the bottom, if auto detect is ticked untick it, if it isnt, tick it. then click ok. shut down laptop, then turn off router, wait 10 seconds, start up router, then start up laptop

does the laptop say it is connected to the wireless network??? and did you use the correct case letters in the password

A Seven Year old Laptop?!?!

IF laptop has a wireless capability (unlikely)

THEN Stop faffing about with cables and connect with wifi

ELSIF laptop has an ethernet connection

THEN connect to the hub using an ethernet cable

ELSIF chuck it in the bin

ENDIF

If the cable you have been trying to use has a plug on one end which is identical to the telephone plug you plug into a phone wall socket then it is most definitely NOT an ethernet cable.

the address in the top bar, can be set to about:blank, which just shows a white background.

the dial up settings are in tools>options. then click the connections tab across the top. make sure never dial a connection is selected, and then click the lan settings at the bottom, if auto detect is ticked untick it, if it isnt, tick it. then click ok. shut down laptop, then turn off router, wait 10 seconds, start up router, then start up laptop

does the laptop say it is connected to the wireless network??? and did you use the correct case letters in the password
it did say it was connected at one stage but nothing happened (y)

A Seven Year old Laptop?!?!

IF laptop has a wireless capability (unlikely)

THEN Stop faffing about with cables and connect with wifi

ELSIF laptop has an ethernet connection

THEN connect to the hub using an ethernet cable

ELSIF chuck it in the bin

ENDIF

If the cable you have been trying to use has a plug on one end which is identical to the telephone plug you plug into a phone wall socket then it is most definitely NOT an ethernet cable.

it is def a erthernet cable i have been tring .. i thought if i can get it set up and working he can get wifi at a later date..

md(y)

:clap:

thanks for all the help guys . if i can not do it tommorow i will have to have a long conversation with a nice person from abroad ... and they can talk me through all different things to try.....

md:clap:

Their technical helpline is 24hours, and it will be very quiet about now if you happen to be still up and able to access the laptop :LOL: I should know I've called them plenty.

I've had this, as well as many other problems with my home hub, and have had two separate hubs, but still get problems that I have learned to just deal with until my contract is up. It's a pain in the bum though. I have to unplug my hub from the power for 20 seconds (any less than that isn't always effective, you should be able to hear a click come from the hub when it resets) maybe twice a day to reset it. Otherwise my connection starts dropping out every few pages I visit. One thing not many people know about the home hub, is that it never refreshes itself, and things like deleting cookies and temp files aren't 100% effective without the hub itself being rebooted. Sometimes pressing the little button on the side of the hub works, but not always. I am a heavy net user (about 20 hours a day) and play lots of online games, so I come across these problems a lot. It has taken almost a year of contacting BT technical help to find that bit of information out though, so not all tech guys know about it. Hell it took me calling and speaking to about 20 different tech guys to find one that even knew what a dongle was when I got the BT one of those :eek: I soon sent that back!

As for your current problems ... it might be old drivers for previous modems interfering with you being able to connect via Ethernet cable. Plus security settings and a few others. The technical help guys should be able to help you easily enough. I recommend you call them between 9 and 10am if possible, you are more likely to get someone based in Ireland that way ;). If you manage to get a connection in the mean time, and can access the home hub site by typing in 192.168.1.254 in your address bar (without the http or www part), at least if that page loads you know you should be able to request 'remote access' from the tech guy. That way he can log onto your laptop and you can watch him fix everything in front of your eyes :LOL: Just make sure you haven't got anything 'private' open on the laptop before you do this ;) :naughty:

Oh one more thing, if you should need any wires, extra filters or even driver installation disc, just ask as I have two of each :LOL:

Hope that helps xxx

:clap:

JUST LIKE TO SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

i have got the father inlaw online now(y)

thanks one and all:clap:

md(y)

what was the problem?

not really sure:shrug:

i did i restore tonight to the last point it would let me go to. then loaded the disc back in and i managed to get it online :shrug:

i was on the phone last night to a foreigner for about 45 mins

pinging this and that and trying all manner of things to no avail..
i did get another disc from the it bloke at work to load in ie again . but did not need it.

md(y)

Back