More Long-eared Owl

Edit My Images
Yes
Two more shots from the other evening, shot in very different light, 1st bright sunlight and back lit, 2nd in hazy low sun

I've been asked a few questions so thought I'd answer in the thread.

No baiting at all, no hide, although I do have a pop up that I've used once and should use more often, most shots are took from a public country lane or footpath:)

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking

Leo perched resized.jpg

Leo hunting resized 1.jpg

Last edited:
both fantastic takes imo fav both for different reasons
the first one the colours compliment the bird lovely
the second one the muted background colours look fabulous concentrating your eye on the bird

two great shots, love the look on the last bird.

Great shots, esp like the second also.

First one for me Phil ........(y)

Good captures Phil :)

nice captures

both fantastic takes imo fav both for different reasons
the first one the colours compliment the bird lovely
the second one the muted background colours look fabulous concentrating your eye on the bird

Many thanks for the comments

Both excellent in their own ways, the first is a cracking portrait and the lighting angle works nicely here - unusual but it works.

The second though is gorgeous with the complementary colours and the near head on stare.

Mike

Both excellent in their own ways, the first is a cracking portrait and the lighting angle works nicely here - unusual but it works.

The second though is gorgeous with the complementary colours and the near head on stare.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Nice shots, that second one is impressive!

Thanks Lee, you should see the ones I miss focus on!! :D
:plus1: and both cool renditions too!

Thank you Daniel!

I like the first one Phil but think that if he had turned his head and faced the camera, it would've improved it tenfold! (y)

Thanks Wez, I do have a couple with it looking at me but they just didn't appeal as much.

You can see the blood where its just brought a kill back, would have loved it to have still been hanging out of it's beak :D

Composition was a bit tight to crop to, there's a conifer tree full of rain droplets all down the left of the full image and its completely blown out, so I've just cropped up to it

Here's one, just a quick edit but it sits a bit too far left in frame, might have a better look at the shot later, cheers

View attachment 104091

Last edited:
Thanks Lee, you should see the ones I miss focus on!! :D

You should have seen the amount I missed tonight :)

You should have seen the amount I missed tonight :)

Its not just you Lee, it happens to us all, far too regular!! :D

Hand held, birds in flight and low light will never be the easiest, on a good night I might get 50% on a bad night less than 20%.

Compare that with the likes of Gannets at Bempton, a big bird in good light, easy to track with a good contrast between bird and bg, then expect to get 90% every time.

The thing with LEO's for me, if I'm struggling, I'll just put the camera down and get as much pleasure from watching them hunt through me binoculars (y)

Last edited:
Its not just you Lee, it happens to us all, far too regular!! :D

Hand held, birds in flight and low light will never be the easiest, on a good night I might get 50% on a bad night less than 20%.

Compare that with the likes of Gannets at Bempton, a big bird in good light, easy to track with a good contrast between bird and bg, then expect to get 90% every time.

The thing with LEO's for me, if I'm struggling, I'll just put the camera down and get as much pleasure from watching them hunt through me binoculars (y)

I know what you mean Phil, I had some lovely compositionally taken images last night, its just the focus is a bit out, grrrrrr, I suppose it makes it that more special when you get it right though!

Last edited:
Superb daylight shots of an all too rarely seen bird

Thanks Eddy, very lucky round here. A 4th breeding pair confirmed the other evening and at least 1 more possible. An absolute pleasure to watch hunting, cheers

Back