More WEC... from an accredited noob :)

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
So here's a few of mine, a little late...

I was lucky to get accreditation for this, so no fence :D ... still quite rusty after the close season :confused: and I seriously need to chill out when on the right side, far too nervous :D

anyway, here goes C&C always welcome....

1. One of the Astons in their new livery... nice looking car
Aston Martin Art by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. André Lotterer, was thrilled to be doing the pit meet and greets (he looked marginally happier at the end of the race and decidedly more like this at the end of the day)
André Lotterer by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. Ford are back this year! (First time ive been able to get a shot like this)
Marino Franchitti, Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. I did try and spend some time being creative
Gustavo Menezes, Nicolas Lapierre, Stephane Richelmi by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. The public pit walks were a bit of a bun fight, but actually made things a bit more interesting.. here's Andy Priaulx
Andy Priaulx by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. Some formation flying in FP1
#1 & 2 Porsche 919 Hybrid by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

7. Another pit scene...
Paul Dalla Lana , Pedro Lamy , Mathias Lauda by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

8.ah hell, even more from the pits... it happens so rarely :D
Toyota Mechanics by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.. there's a few more here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireproof_art/albums/72157665118772823 <----still have so many go through so apologies for the limited variety :D

This side of the fence is where you are meant to be Jonathan.
Theyre all stellar, but I just love the look of that Ford. The Lotterer shot is another peach.
Glad that things are moving forward for you, and I hope you have a cracking year ahead!

Well done on having your work being recognised at a professional level and being able to cut it with the other pro/media/tv photographers out there. Your work is second to none i think. I always like the pit shots that photographers take - they have much more to them, its where the race is won or lost. My faves are in no particular order: #7, 3 and 4.

Say hi to Simon for me. (used to work with him).

Darren

Ironically I think your trackside stuff was better when you were behind the fence, I guess that comes from spending a lot of time finding angles etc, then suddenly you have this massive sandbox to play in. That's not to say your stuff here is poor, far from it, but at your ability level I think it's time to get very picky!

#4 doesn't really work for me, a bit too fussy and the framing feels off. Perfect execution but I think the large blob in front of the car with no space behind it makes it feel a little restrictive.

Love your pit work though (I hope they're going to cover that main pit stand in time for F1), nice low angles for the car shots and nicely framed. #7 really does it for me.

My pick is #6…
the portraits are darn good too!
the weaker take, #4.

Good work, nice set of images. The Ford shot is the standout picture for me.

This side of the fence is where you are meant to be Jonathan.
Theyre all stellar, but I just love the look of that Ford. The Lotterer shot is another peach.
Glad that things are moving forward for you, and I hope you have a cracking year ahead!

Thanks Matty, still a bit shaky with all the responsibility that comes with it... something hopefully ill be able to get used to :)

wow fantastic set love the 1st one.

Cheers Kev, much appreciated

Well done on having your work being recognised at a professional level and being able to cut it with the other pro/media/tv photographers out there. Your work is second to none i think. I always like the pit shots that photographers take - they have much more to them, its where the race is won or lost. My faves are in no particular order: #7, 3 and 4.

Say hi to Simon for me. (used to work with him).

Darren

Thanks Darren, it's taken a good few years to get here and it'll take a good few more to get better :) really appreciate the feedback haha and ill send my brother your regards :)

Ironically I think your trackside stuff was better when you were behind the fence, I guess that comes from spending a lot of time finding angles etc, then suddenly you have this massive sandbox to play in. That's not to say your stuff here is poor, far from it, but at your ability level I think it's time to get very picky!

#4 doesn't really work for me, a bit too fussy and the framing feels off. Perfect execution but I think the large blob in front of the car with no space behind it makes it feel a little restrictive.

Love your pit work though (I hope they're going to cover that main pit stand in time for F1), nice low angles for the car shots and nicely framed. #7 really does it for me.

Cheers Chris, you are absolutely right... it's very much like starting again, only with none of the comforting excuses available :D It's a whole different ballgame when you're shooting for someone else, even with the great client I had offering up a loose brief, there's a self-inflicted pressure to deliver variety, professionalism and excellence that all gets a bit overwhelming, I felt this did impact on the normal way I shoot... the pit & portrait stuff was completely alien to me so i'm pleased people seem to like what i've come up with... in terms of the track stuff, I reverted to type a bit and generally need to start thinking about it more in terms of producing a good photograph rather than nailing a technical exercise... again hopefully that will get easier as I get more comfortable with the access available, but yea... just sitting in the media center with so many talented photographers was massively eye-opening, hopefully I'll be able to build on this approach this year.

My pick is #6…
the portraits are darn good too!
the weaker take, #4.

Cheers Kodiak, appreciate the feedback :)

Good work, nice set of images. The Ford shot is the standout picture for me.
Thanks mate :)

Great set, really like number 7.

Cheers Paul, croped in a little but I liked the look of it on the back of the camera (I think thats one I posted on FB as soon as I walked out of the pit) :D

great set! Really gives a good feel for the event - love no 7 :)

Cheers mate, really glad I managed to convey a sense of what was going on... really need to dig through the rest of the images

Love no. 3. Cracking.

Thanks, glad there seems to be a mix of preferred images

Fantastic set, well done.

Cheers :)

Great photos and mix of action.

Thanks very much :)

These are excellent - fine work mate :)

Haha really appreciate that Az, I have a long way to go before i'm used to this media lark :)

Being in a live race situation must have been great and it is good to see that it didn't overwhelm you . Your on track shots aren't a lot different to your usual work in my eyes, especially with #1 and #6, the pit work looks great, I'd love to give that a go someday.

Being in a live race situation must have been great and it is good to see that it didn't overwhelm you . Your on track shots aren't a lot different to your usual work in my eyes, especially with #1 and #6, the pit work looks great, I'd love to give that a go someday.
hahah.. 'if it aint broke' ? :D :D It was pretty crazy and I could have handled it a bit better but yea, I'll chalk it up to experience, thanks for the feedback :)

Terrific set- really captures the atmosphere of urgency and tension, and I particularly like atmosphere as represented in No. 7.

Terrific set- really captures the atmosphere of urgency and tension, and I particularly like atmosphere as represented in No. 7.
Cheers Duncan, glad you like them :)

Some corkin' shots! #7 is stunning - so atmospheric!

Thanks mate, that seems to be quite a popular one :)

Hat's off to you sir for getting the right side of the fence :clap:
Ford and Aston pit shots are blooming superb, great set.
Clive.

Another vote for 7 from a quality set
Cheers Gaz :)

Hat's off to you sir for getting the right side of the fence :clap:
Ford and Aston pit shots are blooming superb, great set.
Clive.
Thanks a lot Clive, as I say that stuff was all quite new to me so wasn't really sure what the results would be...

Here's a few more, in case anyone gets down here :)

9. Audi had mixed fortunes, this one broke down
Lucas di Grassi , Loic Duval , Oliver Jarvis by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

10. Toyota Pit stuff
Anthony Davidson, Sebsatien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

11. G-Drive...
Roman Rusinov, Nathanael Berthon,Rene Rast by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

12. More Aston...
Darren Turner, Marco Sorensen, Nicki Thiim by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

13. The other 'Winner'...
Marcel Fässler by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

14. The actual Winner
Romain Dumas , Neel Jani , Marc Lieb by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Terrific shots there Jon, crystal clear and processed nicely. Did you use selective de-saturation on #3?

Terrific shots there Jon, crystal clear and processed nicely. Did you use selective de-saturation on #3?

Cheers For the feedback Russy... A little on number 3 but it was targeted in colours rather than areas just so the subject stood out from the distractions

Last edited:
Cheers For the feedback Russy... A little on number 3 but it was targeted in colours rather than areas just so the subject stood out from the distractions

Works well, gives it that extra pop

Great work, easy to see why you were accredited. Like them all but # 7 & # 9 are my favourites. Have a great season.

Top job from a top bloke, hope you build on this and start to go places!

Great set, must be huge making the move to trackside well done. If you want a pick, 3, 1 and 8. But hard to pick from these.

Cracking images, the lot of them!

Cheers mate :)

Great set, must be huge making the move to trackside well done. If you want a pick, 3, 1 and 8. But hard to pick from these.

Its been eye opening, a lot to get used to :) Many thanks

dude some awesome shots here and no need to be nervous if you are ever at an event I'm at give me a shout and we will meet up!!

Haha Cheers Stevie, I'll keep an eye out for you next time :)

Really nice photos, not been to a race meeting my self since Oulton Park in the 60's, showing my age now!.

Thanks very much, always worth getting back into the swing of it :)

Back