A wee fly
MG_9063.jpg

Biting Midge Larvae (Forcipomyiinae)
MG_9010.jpg

Mini Millie Head
MG_8841.jpg

Finally a tiny spider with meal - 4 Shots stacked in Helicon Focus 6
2016-03-20-18-05-46-4-Shot-Helicon.jpg

What a super set Chris, I like the wee fly also the wee millipede, super colour on it, but never seen a silver one, but I'm guessing as it's a baby one that's why it's silver.

Now you're winter is over! ;-)

Oh, those all look good. You have the lighting very well under control, with the flash reflections looking very subdued (I'm looking at #3 and #4 in particular). Are you pulling them down a lot in post processing, or is your lighting arrangement giving you results like that more or less out of the camera? Do you under-expose perhaps and then pull up the shadows? (what I'm thinking of trying next). However you are doing it, they look really good.

Like them all great set my favourite is the little millipede tho perfect angle on him

Thank you all.

Another cool set m8 - the first is a drain fly (or a moth fly).

Paul.

Thanks for the id Paul (y)

Oh, those all look good. You have the lighting very well under control, with the flash reflections looking very subdued (I'm looking at #3 and #4 in particular). Are you pulling them down a lot in post processing, or is your lighting arrangement giving you results like that more or less out of the camera? Do you under-expose perhaps and then pull up the shadows? (what I'm thinking of trying next). However you are doing it, they look really good.

Thanks Nick, I pull the highlights a little down in PP on some of the subjects. I don't underexpose as I normally have the Flash on ETTL. No flash exposure compensation either. My flash setup is just double wrapped packing foam. Will take a picture of it next time it is in use.

Thanks Nick, I pull the highlights a little down in PP on some of the subjects. I don't underexpose as I normally have the Flash on ETTL. No flash exposure compensation either. My flash setup is just double wrapped packing foam. Will take a picture of it next time it is in use.

Thanks Chris, that is very interesting about your flash power level and PP.

Great set I would be tempted to crop a little of left and top on the last one just to complete the brilliant image :D

For Nick @GardenersHelper - Here is a link to my latest Flash diffuser setup ( used here )

http://www.macro-photo.co.uk/2016/mt-24ex-packing-foam-diffuser-setup-for-canon-mpe-65mm/

And unprocessed shots of the above ( apart from stack) - just straight from RAW ( Adobe Camera) and resized for web.

Thanks Chris. That diffuser setup is really interesting. Presumably using a continuous piece of that material means that the light is being spread sideways in the diffuser and forming something like the continuous side to side crescent you get with a concave diffuser, with hotter areas around the flash heads. Do I see an extra layer over the flash head?

Also very interesting to see the unprocessed images. Thanks.

Great set Chris

Back