Morning Brew

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Hey, hey! Still here, still experimenting, still trying new things. I know images like this won't be to everyones taste, nor is it an exercise in technical perfection but I wanted to get some opinions and see what you folks think. Still going through the full set but I liked this one. :)

although her hand could use a bit of a burn. :)

Last edited:
I know images like this won't be to everyones taste, nor is it an exercise in technical perfection

It is to mine for sure!

Still, nothing beats window light in the morning…
well, maybe a morning brew!

I love the peace and quiet mood in here so much
that I don't even think of seeing the barrel effect of
the lens.

This is, as image, a perfect symbol of domestic life.
I would try to recover the highlights!

Wistful, dreamy and evocative. I love it.
although her hand could use a bit of a burn. :)

Thanks Dean. Yeah you are right. Maybe I will have another look at it. :)

It is to mine for sure!

Still, nothing beats window light in the morning…
well, maybe a morning brew!

I love the peace and quiet mood in here so much
that I don't even think of seeing the barrel effect of
the lens.

This is, as image, a perfect symbol of domestic life.
I would try to recover the highlights!

Thank you, Daniel.

I really like this, the lighting is superb :D

Thank you. :)

And her knee.

A wistful gaze wondering what the day will bring.

Very nice

Mj

Beautiful tones, great mood. More medium format film fun?

The right side of the frame is a bit odd - the high contrast and strongly bent lines. It depends on your attitude to manipulations, really, but I think you could happily chop some off the right and bottom.

It's to my tastes. Though I agree about cropping out the window frame. Out of interest was it you reflected in the mirror? Looks odd. But that's not a biggy so ignore if you wish.

Not sure why you would say some won't like it on here but hey ho it looks great to me.

Gaz

Charmingly posed & portrayed subject, in that warm & gentle light. Altogether a delightful study IMO.

For me a photo doesn't have to be technically perfect, just has to capture a moment or emotion. Love this because it does both. Well done

Beautiful tones, great mood. More medium format film fun?

The right side of the frame is a bit odd - the high contrast and strongly bent lines. It depends on your attitude to manipulations, really, but I think you could happily chop some off the right and bottom.

Thank you. Yeah I tried it by losing some or the right but preferred it with it in I think. I could possibly have a little go at straightening the window frame though.

And yes, it is MF film. Kodak Portra 400 shot at 1600 and pushed two stops in developing.

It's to my tastes. Though I agree about cropping out the window frame. Out of interest was it you reflected in the mirror? Looks odd. But that's not a biggy so ignore if you wish.

Thank you. No, I don't think it's me in the mirror actually. Will have to check the original full sized version.

Not sure why you would say some won't like it on here but hey ho it looks great to me.

Gaz

Charmingly posed & portrayed subject, in that warm & gentle light. Altogether a delightful study IMO.

Thanks very much.

For me a photo doesn't have to be technically perfect, just has to capture a moment or emotion. Love this because it does both. Well done

Thank you :)

To be honest, I think losing the window frame would be a mistake- it gives a sense of 'place' and a meaning to what she is looking at (especially since she is not in the usual position of being on the left looking out to the right, or vice versa).
BTW, I'll agree with everyone else above- great shot :)

I really like it. Nice and natural. Right up my street. Well framed as well.

+ 1 more

Beautiful shot Gaz, the light is caught as it was and her hand/knee caught it more directly. You've recorded what you saw and it doesn't detract in my eyes, from a lovely shot. I miss the look of film, nice that people like yourself are keeping it alive.

There is a 'rule' that says for cropping should happen to the joints of the body. In this case I probably agree. Have a look at cropping tightly to the top of the head and just below the cup.

The image is dreamy and carefree as it is but the cropping removes some of the space that 'distract' from her expression.

To be honest, I think losing the window frame would be a mistake- it gives a sense of 'place' and a meaning to what she is looking at (especially since she is not in the usual position of being on the left looking out to the right, or vice versa).
BTW, I'll agree with everyone else above- great shot :)

Thank you. I agree with you with regards to losing the frame.

I really like it. Nice and natural. Right up my street. Well framed as well.

Thank you very much. :)

+ 1 more

Beautiful shot Gaz, the light is caught as it was and her hand/knee caught it more directly. You've recorded what you saw and it doesn't detract in my eyes, from a lovely shot. I miss the look of film, nice that people like yourself are keeping it alive.

Thank you. I LOVE film. A lot of people try to emulate it digitally when you can just shoot it! It's beautiful and soft and almost impossible to blow the highlights. :)

Out of interest.. why push the film in this case?

We were losing the light so shot the whole roll at 1600 including some in a room where there was a lot less light than here. Some serious colour shifts in the bathroom due to the push.

There is a 'rule' that says for cropping should happen to the joints of the body. In this case I probably agree. Have a look at cropping tightly to the top of the head and just below the cup.

The image is dreamy and carefree as it is but the cropping removes some of the space that 'distract' from her expression.

Thanks for commenting. I definitely don't agree with your crop but appreciate you taking the time. I don't think the space distracts but provides some environment and context. :)

Thank you. I LOVE film. A lot of people try to emulate it digitally when you can just shoot it! It's beautiful and soft and almost impossible to blow the highlights

I grew up shooting film, no choice as digital hadn't been thought about let alone invented! I still have my Minolta Dynax that was still working up to me switching to digital. Just needs new batteries, I hope. Where do you get your film from out of interest?

I grew up shooting film, no choice as digital hadn't been thought about let alone invented! I still have my Minolta Dynax that was still working up to me switching to digital. Just needs new batteries, I hope. Where do you get your film from out of interest?

I usually use Calumet as they were the best service and one of, if not the cheapest for the professional grade colour negative films. However, I have two boxes of Portra 400 120 on back order and they aren't sue until mid March. Not happy about that.

You already know how much I love this! :)

I know images like this won't be to everyones taste, nor is it an exercise in technical perfection but I wanted to get some opinions and see what you folks think.

What could be nicer than a portrait on Portra with natural light? I wish you'd explain what you meant by 'images like this' and why you fear it won't be 'to everyone's taste'.

I can accept this as it is, but if I could lose one thing it would be the white reveal on the right - it's a bit competitive. But not by a crop - that space is needed in the frame. So ...

One has some sense of the person from this image, whereas many a studio shot with rigged lights and a hired or co-opted model look as if the person is absent - off on leave, just leaving their surface appearance behind.

What could be nicer than a portrait on Portra with natural light? I wish you'd explain what you meant by 'images like this' and why you fear it won't be 'to everyone's taste'.

I can accept this as it is, but if I could lose one thing it would be the white reveal on the right - it's a bit competitive. But not by a crop - that space is needed in the frame. So ...

One has some sense of the person from this image, whereas many a studio shot with rigged lights and a hired or co-opted model look as if the person is absent - off on leave, just leaving their surface appearance behind.

Perhaps my initial comment was a little defensive in that I often expect the worst in terms of critique, especially when images don't conform to the 'rules' or have something different about them. Plus I'm a 'glass half empty type of guy'. Ha!

Thank you for the nice words about the photo though. I find your comment about models sometimes being absent interesting. It all depends what you want to create I guess and choosing to work with the right people can certainly help with that.

I love it Gareth - I'm fascinated by her gaze and what she is looking at (or thinking).

Love the light and the honest PP - great shot mate.

I love it Gareth - I'm fascinated by her gaze and what she is looking at (or thinking).

Love the light and the honest PP - great shot mate.

Thank you. [emoji4]

I didn't do any PP to this one.

Just back from holiday so couldn't comment earlier. I too think a slight crop would be ok, but that would alter the original look. It is one of those photos which would have a camera club judge pointing out all the technical flaws, but as an evocative image it connects with the viewers emotions and with this photo that is the most important thing.

Thats why it looks so honest then :)

Of course, I say no PP but the lab has scanned to my preferences but after I get my scans back, I do very little if anything to them.

Just back from holiday so couldn't comment earlier. I too think a slight crop would be ok, but that would alter the original look. It is one of those photos which would have a camera club judge pointing out all the technical flaws, but as an evocative image it connects with the viewers emotions and with this photo that is the most important thing.

Thanks for commenting. :) This is why I am not a member of a camera club. I was briefly once.

... the lab has scanned to my preferences ...

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that actually mean? How much tweaking do they do? What format and colour space do you get your files in?

I know what the difference was between what we wet-printed ourselves from C41 negs and the sRGb files we got from the lab we used for dev and scan, so I'm trying to imagine what the difference would be between the file you've posted here and a wet print off the same neg ...

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that actually mean? How much tweaking do they do? What format and colour space do you get your files in?

I know what the difference was between what we wet-printed ourselves from C41 negs and the sRGb files we got from the lab we used for dev and scan, so I'm trying to imagine what the difference would be between the file you've posted here and a wet print off the same neg ...

I couldn't tell you how much they actually do to be honest. When I say 'to my preferences', that means when I first started working with them and I got my scans back, I'd do a little editing such as contrast but nothing major. I'd then send them back with the adjustments I had made and then they would adjust my next set to how I said I preferred them. They also tell me how my film looks with regard to exposure etc so I can get the best from them with regards to scanning.

They also tell me how my film looks with regard to exposure etc so I can get the best from them with regards to scanning.

Well, I don't really understand that bit either, but thank you anyhow :)

Back