Most famous Photograph Ever?

Edit My Images
Yes
A thought occurred to me as I was browsing the photography section of the library when several images popped up again and again: What is the most famous/most seen image ever? Not recently, but the most viewed ever. I guess it will vary based upon geographical location but I think this could be an interesting thread.

I had a few thoughts, all credits to original photographers:

Man on the Moon
man_on_moon.jpg

Earth
planet-earth.jpg

tiananmen square
tiananmen-square-tanks.jpg

Iwo Jima

main_small.gif

Rockerfeller Centre Construction

lego-photo-2.jpg

Execution
EXECUTE.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Think this one is pretty well known.

TrangBang.jpg

Certainly one of the most harrowing images ever, that's for sure.

That picture with the NY workers sitting on the girder eating their lunch makes my feet go all numb!

The Marilyn Monroe in white dress being blown up has to be in the running also:shrug:

Would post it up, but no idea how to do it apart from hosting on my flickr, but sure you all know the one im talking about.(y)

I'm clearly not thinking of the right 'blown up' here, because I definitely have some war film-esque image in my mind... :bonk:

Just out of interest I image googled "famous photograph" as I thought the first one would be the most famuos!

I've never seen it before in my life! Its not work safe so I won't post it here, (safe search was on modrate)

Stuart

This is quite a harrowing shot

starving-child-stalked-by-vulture.jpg

It's more harrowing because of the story behind it, the fact that Kevin Carter left the girl there after taking the shot. Such a powerful image though, makes you just want to reach through and help the poor girl.

Very disturbing.

Just out of interest I image googled "famous photograph" as I thought the first one would be the most famuos!

I've never seen it before in my life! Its not work safe so I won't post it here, (safe search was on modrate)

Stuart

I got a naked lady hiding from an old lady behind a tree, is that what you got:shrug:

Old lady with a TLR..

In this country the mug shot of Myra Hindley springs to mind.

Re number 1, the horizon is wonky. Can you sort that in post or will you need a reshoot?

Except that wouldn't be the photo you're really thinking of, it's the 2002 CGI re-make.*

Probably the more famous photo would be either this, the 'Blue Marble' shot taken by Jack Schmitt [probably] on Apollo 17 in 1972

300px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

or possibly this, 'Earthrise', taken by William Anders on Apollo 8 in 1968

300px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

* see also my post a couple of weeks ago recommending photographers read Umberto Eco's Travels in Hyperreality :)

Last edited:
Except that wouldn't be the photo you're really thinking of, it's the 2002 CGI re-make.*

Probably the more famous photo would be either this, the 'Blue Marble' shot taken by Jack Schmitt [probably] on Apollo 17 in 1972

300px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

or possibly this, 'Earthrise', taken by William Anders on Apollo 8 in 1968

300px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

* see also my post a couple of weeks ago recommending photographers read Umberto Eco's Travels in Hyperreality :)

It was indeed earth rise but I could not remember the name of it.

Some of the shots in here are indeed famous but most famous ever? The topic seems to have kicked off so I'll let in run for a few days then maybe create a poll?

The Kevin Carter shot is one I have not seen before but the back story is fascinating. Its such an emotionally charged shot.

Its by Robert Cappa and was taken during the Spanish Civil War. Some people think it was a set up but he always claimed it was real. Fabulous image if a little harrowing.

Andy

I take it the chap has just been shot in the head?

Capa

[sorry, my inner pedant showed itself :)]

Bug*er, I'm annoyed I didn't spot that. I know its only 1 P and being a member of the British Pedants Society (thats a society for pedants in Britain not a society for purely British Pedants..;)) it pains me to make such an elementary error.

I take it the chap has just been shot in the head?

Yep, its going to take more than a couple of aspirin to cure that.

Andy

Bug*er, I'm annoyed I didn't spot that. I know its only 1 P and being a member of the British Pedants Society (thats a society for pedants in Britain not a society for purely British Pedants..;)) it pains me to make such an elementary error.

Yep, its going to take more than a couple of aspirin to cure that.

Andy

Believed by quite a few to be faked, the location has been placed by some as a point well away from any battle.

Back