Most flash function settings greyed out on 5D Mark IV

Name
Malcolm
Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon 5D MK IV and have just purchased a Canon 580EX (not EXII) however using the camera menu the only function available is exposure compensation, ettl, second curtain sync and FEB are all greyed out, according to the specs the 5D MKIV is compatible with the 58 EX speedlite, any ideas why it doesn't work?

It is possible that as the 580EX predates control of various functions via the menu on the camera that it is not compatible and those greyed out settings need to be carried out on the flash unit itself.

For starters go into camera menu and first list in camera settings is where you will find external speedlight control and just check flash enabled and flash function settings are as required.

It is possible that as the 580EX predates control of various functions via the menu on the camera that it is not compatible and those greyed out settings need to be carried out on the flash unit itself.
According to the specification on the camera it is compatible with the 580EX.

For starters go into camera menu and first list in camera settings is where you will find external speedlight control and just check flash enabled and flash function settings are as required.
It is in there that everything other than exposure compensation is greyed out.

According to the specification on the camera it is compatible with the 580EX.
The flash and body will be compatible but not the control of various functions via the camera menu, you will need to access those via the flash itself, I believe that for control via the camera menu you will need an EX II speedlight...

The flash and body will be compatible but not the control of various functions via the camera menu, you will need to access those via the flash itself, I believe that for control via the camera menu you will need an EX II speedlight...
Thank you, that explains it then.

• Flash function settings and Flash C.Fn settings are I believe only available when your flash is actually mounted.

• Flash function settings and Flash C.Fn settings are I believe only available when your flash is actually mounted.
That's correct this is when the flash "is" mounted on the camera though.

Last edited:
Some of those functions were only available on a camera in the past not on the speedlight itself, so I doubt this is the answer.

I’ll try a 420ex on a newer camera later (hard to find a more basic ETTL flash)

Thanks for all the help folks, Problem solved, I have just bought a 580EXII and that works just fine, so it must be an incompatibility problem with the 580EX, ah well I have a second flash now for use as a slave :)

Back