Moth(?) ID

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

This moth(?) came in last week in later evening, was not attracted to light but settled on the lounge curtain and did not budge. I saw it or its twin in the bathroom in the morning before it flew out the open window.

I could not ID readily in my book(s) so what do 'you' think it is.......................oh, wingtip to wingtip it was just under 1 inch so not a micro moth but far from a larger moth or small butterfly???

Moth ID.jpg

I've just been looking at my own picture of one of them. The Wildlife Trust posted a pic of one on Facebook and asked 'have you ever seen a magpie moth?' It's not a magpie moth but a small magpie moth, which is actually not the same species - there are just similarities in the way it looks. I couldn't find it in my book either and had to ask Google. I had never seen one until a couple of weeks ago. Magpies yes, but not small magpies. Mine ended up in the house too, and since I was about to vaccuum I had to find if it was a day flier before I evicted it. I've since seen another (or maybe the same one) so perhaps this is a good year for them. It seems a good year for moths in general - not so much butterflies.

Edited to say nice image, btw. Better than the one I got.

Last edited:
I've just been looking at my own picture of one of them. The Wildlife Trust posted a pic of one on Facebook and asked 'have you ever seen a magpie moth?' It's not a magpie moth but a small magpie moth, which is actually not the same species - there are just similarities in the way it looks. I couldn't find it in my book either and had to ask Google. I had never seen one until a couple of weeks ago. Magpies yes, but not small magpies. Mine ended up in the house too, and since I was about to vaccuum I had to find if it was a day flier before I evicted it. I've since seen another (or maybe the same one) so perhaps this is a good year for them. It seems a good year for moths in general - not so much butterflies.

Edited to say nice image, btw. Better than the one I got.

Hi Jan

Thanks for the ID, never heard of it......neither the small (as above) nor its larger cousin.

I was surprised how reluctant it was to move, .it stayed put even drawing the curtains.

Re: picture ~ taken with my S120 in macro mode :)

Edit ~ we seem to get a number of micro moths in the house (a few are amazingly colourful) as for butterflies, large and small whites regularly and this morning delighted to see two peacocks on the buddleia :)

Last edited:
If you think birds are hard to identify....
Sorry I am of no use but this shows teh wonderful markings.

Back