Mothers Cap

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
A very early start and a bit of a treacherous climb up in the darkness saw me at Mothers Cap before the sun came up. The snow and black ice made the journey very interesting :)

Not been up there before - so got a bit lost and ended up rushing around more than I would have liked.

Mothers Cap by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:

Cool take but your walk there sounds more
dramatic than the rendition… have you tried
a dramatic version, Dave?

That's a very nice shot Dave, and well worth all your effort.(y)

George.

Thats a really lovely scene Dave, but there is something jarring about the clarity of the rock, compared with the beautiful soft tones around it. Have you selectively processed this? I think if it took a more muted stance in the frame, the image would sing even better!
(you've also seemingly got a dust spot on the upper horizontal third line, about dead centre)

Thats a really lovely scene Dave, but there is something jarring about the clarity of the rock, compared with the beautiful soft tones around it. Have you selectively processed this? I think if it took a more muted stance in the frame, the image would sing even better!
(you've also seemingly got a dust spot on the upper horizontal third line, about dead centre)

Well spotted Matty - will zap the dust spot when I get home (I though I had them all and that one is the biggest and stands out more than the others I removed - typical)

I have not processes the rock specifically apart from lifting its shadows ever so slightly. Everything past the rock is at a much greater distance and the softness comes from a slight mist that was around.

The rock is also catching the early light which makes it more prominent - the foreground areas that catch the light are the same.

Lovely scene, just the rock is standing out a little too much for me and my monitor is showing it halo'ing a tiny bit (could be compression) but otherwise really nice. Can imagine that would be a bit risky in the dark, how high up is it there?

I like this, and I like very much that you've not tried for more drama than was there.

Lovely scene, just the rock is standing out a little too much for me and my monitor is showing it halo'ing a tiny bit (could be compression) but otherwise really nice. Can imagine that would be a bit risky in the dark, how high up is it there?

Thanks Stuart - I have done an edit to remove the dust bunny and take a look at the rock.

All it has added is a small amount of highlights and shadows - nothing extra.

The sharpening is minimal to the entire image.

The rock does contrast against the soft background as it is 30 foot away in the morning sun and the background is a mile away across a misty / shaded valley :)

I am not sure how high the point is - high enough if you are fat and nearly 50 years old ;)

I was up there recently in similarly nippy weather and this guy kept climbing to the top. I don't live too far away so I'm planning on further trips his year - hopefully without the snow (and the resulting streams of melt-water flowing down all the tracks!).

It's called Mother Cap BTW, without the 's'. :)

Attempting an ascent
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congratulations Dave on both the beautiful image and all the effort made in getting the shot in the first place.

Really like this Dave, and well done on making the accent in the dark with snow and ice (y) its one thing walking up in the day but quite another pre dawn.
I like the shot and the streaming clouds and the cold blue sky all adds to the atmosphere of the shot. The Rock is prominant but I quite like that, interesting to see the scale following Nige's post! Lovely light too.
Nice Work.

The dusting of snow helps to create a nice foreground interest with the rock taking centre stage.Like the ridged effect of the rock which does catch the eye.
GEORGE.

Braver man than me Dave :)
Like the way the distant cloud seems to mimic the rock formation to a degree ... nice light there too.

That's a gorgeous sky. The scale is amazing, especially when I see the one of it with people. I think the sense of scale in the original is lost a little with that in mind but if I hadn't had seen the second image, I'd never have guesed.

Very nice, don't change it.

Last edited:

have you tried
a dramatic version, Dave?

I would rather not actually. I like the subtle and realistic tones and colours of this very special April morning :)

I like this Dave. Nice subtle colours and good reward for the climb, no idea where it is though?. Hopefully you had a flask to hand and enjoyed the changing scene.

That's lovely Dave and I think your processing is pretty much spot on: it looks even more natural on Flickr as well (far less jarring). The light on the snow-covered heather is wonderful.

I do wonder whether the rock formation could be slightly bigger in frame, but probably not - it has lost that sense of scale a bit. Wonderful image though :clap:

Oooh that's lovely.
I'd definitely keep the colour as is.
Having said that, (and trying only on a copy), I'd look at a few crop options.
1. About half the distance from the base of the rock to the bottom edge (skyline left as is)
Or
2. About half the distance from the top of the solid cloud to the top edge (foreground left as is).
Either way, it's only ideas, disregard as seen fit, you've still got the lovely original...
Followed by the mandatory big breakfast

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions everyone :)

I have a few other shots from the morning that still need processing. I will also revisit this image and see if it can be subtly improved.

Currently in Norfolk on holiday - so plenty of editing awaits me when I get home :)

Dave.

Works perfectly for me, love the light on the foreground / rock and with enough space to see the view & the sky (y)

Thats a beauty Dave. Strange looking rock with really smooth edges, at first I thought you had used the pen tool on the rock section as it looks a bit strange, but realise thats just how it is.

Back