Motivation...

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I need some :bang:

My camera hasn't left the case since I went to the superbikes at Donington back in April (for which I splashed out over £400 on a new lens) and although I'm almost certainly going to Croft in August, I really need some motivation to get the camera out and use it on a more regular basis.

Before Christmas I tried to enter the ocuk and sxoc photo comps as often as i could, but this year I haven't entered one single comp - not even here :(

Lots of people on here seem to balance their work/home/family life with photography so I know it can be done - I just have so little energy or enthusiasm:sulk:

How do you guys motivate yourselves to remain active and take pics?

it's my job.

no photos=no beer tokens.

The stuff I do now outside of work is a welcome relief from the tedium of shooting peoples houses!

Having said that, I go weeks sometimes without taking shots for myself.

If you're lacking enthusiasm or motivation try setting yourself some small goals to start off, the fortnightly challenges on here are designed for just that reason. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to always be taking great photos. I reckon if I get one a month I'm truly happy with then I'm on a good hit-rate.

But most of all. Have fun!

so ends the sermon!

good thread btw, I'd be interestedc to know what other peoples motivation is too.

Dunno... motivation is a problem in a lot of areas - for me, being a games programmer, there's nothing worse for killing motivation than standing at the beginning of a monumental task.

I find that if you stop to think "why am I doing this?", then you just won't do it.

With the games programming, I have a cracking little game in the works, but I've just started a new job in customer services, and after staring at a PC screen for 8 hours a day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is stare at a PC some more.

Maybe you should try branching into other genres of photography? I haven't seen much/any of your stuff around here so I dunno what you're into, but maybe try portrait/landscape/still life/abstract/whatever?

Variety = good.

to be honest I don't think I have found my "thing" yet with regards to the type of photography I like, but there is a cross section of photos in my gallery if you want to see a slice of what I have taken so far.

It's pretty much an "If am going somewhere then I will take my camera" thing rather than I go somewhere specifically to take photos. I have attended a couple of photography meets (the last one being in the lakes back in March time) and I do enjoy them but time and funds don't always allow that kind of self indulgence.

I'd like to try my hand at some macro i think, but the macro lens will have to wait a while :)

Braeden said:
It's pretty much an "If am going somewhere then I will take my camera" thing rather than I go somewhere specifically to take photos.
So you take the camera with you when you go out, and hope to stumble across a half decent shot? That explains your lack of enthusiasm! Its pretty rare to get a good shot like that.

Plan to go somewhere - castles, churches etc if architecture is what you're after, or maybe go up into the pennines, North Yorks moors, Peak District somewhere and snap a few landscapes.

If you still can't be bothered, then I'll relieve you of your 350D. ;)

Braeden said:
I need some :bang:

My camera hasn't left the case since I went to the superbikes at Donington back in April (for which I splashed out over £400 on a new lens) and although I'm almost certainly going to Croft in August, I really need some motivation to get the camera out and use it on a more regular basis.

Before Christmas I tried to enter the ocuk and sxoc photo comps as often as i could, but this year I haven't entered one single comp - not even here :(

Lots of people on here seem to balance their work/home/family life with photography so I know it can be done - I just have so little energy or enthusiasm:sulk:

How do you guys motivate yourselves to remain active and take pics?

i find something that i like doing and combine my photography with it, if its spending time with my family ill pack the camera and do some photography while im there

if its going to a friends bands gig then ill pack the camera and combine the 2

if its going to watch motorsports then ill pack the camera as well

but i balance this out, sometimes i wont take my camera and it stays in its case.

i have little motivation for anything at the moment (dont ask) but i just have to get my arse out of the house sometimes, even if i normally wouldnt, go for a walk etc etc, even if i set myself a challenge!

its just making the effort to get yourself and your camera bag out of the door, once thats done your generally home free. gotta pass the point of no return!

I've just looked at your gallery on here and you have some excellent shots in there, I especially love the one of your new born baby, the eye contact is amazing and the way you have framed the shot is spot on. I also love your landscapes and the one of the racing car so all in all I reckon you are a good all rounder.

I didn't explain myself all that well.

I don't get a great deal of time to say "Today I am going to (insert destination here) to take some photos" Due to other commitments (family/work and suchlike). Even on most weekends I have other jobs to do which leave me little or no time to go out somewhere.

It's more a case of I get a day or two every two to three months to go somewhere and indulge in photography and in between if the camera comes out at all, then it is because I am going somewhere that may offer some photographic opportunities.

What I want to do is motivate myself to actually do something in the free time that I do have and actually take some pics - they don't have to be masterpieces but if I don't practice then I won't improve.

In that case - it's a question of priorities. You have to a desire to it! At least, that's what I do....

Marianne said:
I've just looked at your gallery on here and you have some excellent shots in there, I especially love the one of your new born baby, the eye contact is amazing and the way you have framed the shot is spot on. I also love your landscapes and the one of the racing car so all in all I reckon you are a good all rounder.

Thanks Marianne, coming from you that is very nice to hear as the quality of your photos is defintely something for me to aspire to.

You will be pleased to note that I have invested in a hot shoe spirit level so no more wonky horizons on my landscapes though ;)

It can be difficult when work leaves you little time, but hey...it's a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyable. You don't have to be motivated to the hilt all the time. ;) We all have days when we don't feel like it anyway - it's no big deal. Try to go and do something that you wouldn't do normally to generate a fresh approach?

I tend to have a camera of some sorts with me at all times, and I do occasionally have a block, at which time I try to look at the world from a different perspective. The fly that I have just squished, what does the world look like for him/her before I wanged it with the paper. Maybe try some differebt angles, low down, higher up, close up. And always remember, we all have off days. Cut yourself some slack!!!

Gary Bagshawe said:
I tend to have a camera of some sorts with me at all times, and I do occasionally have a block, at which time I try to look at the world from a different perspective. The fly that I have just squished, what does the world look like for him/her before I wanged it with the paper. Maybe try some differebt angles, low down, higher up, close up. And always remember, we all have off days. Cut yourself some slack!!!

Your a low life so what do you know....:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :D

I think we all go through phases like that, and as Barry said, it comes down to prioritising. The longer you leave it, the worse it gets, then it comes down to can't being bothered. I know what you mean about the time aspect as I work odd shifts and seem to spend most of my time being on-call at the minute, so I'm sort of stuck at home.
Have you tried looking in some of the camera mags for inspiration? Some of them have some really good 'how to' sections which you can do without having to leave the house!. Set yourself a goal i.e. when it's my next weekend off, I'm going to go and do some people photography/ landscapes etc. Go into a new town or new environment (it doesn't have to be expensive) and try something you haven't done before or something that you wouldn't normally shoot. I often get inspiration from other people's shots on here eg Diego's people shots, which prompted my recent trip to Camden!
HTH :)

Gary Bagshawe said:

yeah, and you talk bobbins too, :razz:

Force yourself.
Pretend it's a job.
I seldom take my camera out for myself these days as I get all the fun I need in sandy places East of here. Pretty Girlies are the exception to that though...

Back