Motorbikes

I’ve just booked my day at the Triumph Adventure Experience in the Brecon Beacons.
The bike I’ve chosen to use is the Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE.
It’s nice to have something to look forward to in 2021.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to have a quick play on a Tiger like yours too. The Bonnies have a quite different character to the Tigers in terms of torque and power delivery as well as a different balance.

Enjoy!

Hopefully you'll get a chance to have a quick play on a Tiger like yours too. The Bonnies have a quite different character to the Tigers in terms of torque and power delivery as well as a different balance.

Enjoy!

I could have chosen the Tiger Rally, but thought it would be interesting to experience something very different.
It’ll be fun nevertheless!

Many years ago I had an old LandRover and a mate worked at a local off road training site. Very interesting doing the course in a few different vehicles.

On Thursday I went down on black ice. No warning whatsoever. Thankfully I was doing no more than 10mph but when down like a sack of potatoes. Having crash bars on the bike means it faired better than I did. Cracked ribs sure are painful.

On Thursday I went down on black ice. No warning whatsoever. Thankfully I was doing no more than 10mph but when down like a sack of potatoes. Having crash bars on the bike means it faired better than I did. Cracked ribs sure are painful.
That's not good, glad you're OK though....

Reminds me of a story from 1980.
Went to get dog food, and took Alison (then girlfriend, now wife) on the bike (250 Superdream).
Passed the shop and went down a side street to turn, and came off at the junction due to black ice. We were ok, and the bike had crash bars.
The problem was it was so slippy, it took ages to get the bike back up.
We dusted ourselves down, climbed back on and we're just about to pull away when an old guy came running over waving his arms....
" be careful son, there's a lot of black ice here" he said....he looked confused when we both burst out laughing.

Sorry to hear about your "off", tarmac hurts doesn't it.....

A number of years ago (2010 I think) I bought a brand new SV650 as a commuter/fun bike, to take the strain off of the FireBlade I had at the time. Just over a week into ownership and while going through slow traffic I touched the front brake and the next thing I know is that I'm on the floor with my back against a VW Golf (which was stationary). How the bike didn't hit anything on the way down I'll never know as I was filtering in near stationary traffic. The bike went down and broke the loom from the frame into the headstock/forks and was written off.

I twisted 2 vertebrae in my neck as I slammed into the VW. It took over 3 years of physio to re-align my neck, in the meantime I suffered terrible head/neck pains. It just shows what can happen at low speeds. I dropped my GSX-R600 on a bend at over 70 and walked away without a anything broken of out of place, my leathers took the brunt of it, and as I had my knee down at the time, I had very little distance to fall!! :LOL:

I remember cracked ribs from my days as a full back playing serious rugby. Bloody painful, especially when you cough or laugh, GWS....

Sorry to hear that.
Having experienced cracked ribs myself (a badly executed roll in martial arts training) I can only advise you don't sneeze, cough, laugh or breathe, otherwise it's not too bad :giggle:

Glad the bike is okay, simple offs can get expensive these days.

Sorry to hear that, Richard. Hope the ribs heal properly and reasonably quickly.

Oh no that’s bad black ice is the worst can catch you out without warning, have had a couple of spills when I was younger, I don’t ride in the winter anymore

Thanks for your kind words guys. Thanks to co-codamel and naproxen I’m feeling a lot less pain now.
I decided to lodge an official complaint with Triumph because in my view the bars did not do they job they are designed to do. They are sold as a device to provide protection to the fuel tank, which they failed to do. If it was a high-speed crash dissipating lots of kinetic energy, then fair enough. But I was moving at very low speed, and I’d expect “fuel tank protection bars” to protect the fuel tank, which they didn’t.
Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

sorry to hear about your crash, but please take the advice of long time bikers like me and others.
put the bike away when winter goes crazy its just asking for trouble.

Those protection bars are more for protection of the tank while riding off road rather than in a tumble.

Those protection bars are more for protection of the tank while riding off road rather than in a tumble.

You’d think eh. But on the triumph forum there’s a guy that had them installed on a Tiger Rally Pro, who had a low speed off, dropping the bike onto deep sand. His tank was damaged too. I’m not sure they are fit for purpose.
They’ve come back and asked for photos.

Good luck.

Might be worth looking for a cheap winter hack - something with a lower CofG.

Good luck.

Might be worth looking for a cheap winter hack - something with a lower CofG.

yep i had an old kawa er5 for my hack as it was and my z750 got tucked up in winter.
had a set of engine bars that could have been made by vickers.

once that got to the end of its life, actually i sold it to a riding school for barely £200 than i paid for it keeping it for 3 years i got a honda CBF600 (old carbs version) seen below top left.

you can just see the massive crash mushrooms sticking out.

bikes in kitchen.JPG

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your crash, but please take the advice of long time bikers like me and others.
put the bike away when winter goes crazy its just asking for trouble.

I hear you. Any chance of ice and the bike stays in the garage.

no mate, its not about ice, its greasy roads, its wet manhole covers, its crappy greasy white lines.
personally every year my nice bike goes off the road Dec1 to Mar1 I even SORN it so i dont get complacent.

pop it away till minimum 1st Feb

Thats an odd statement to make a few days after you posted this?

New Years Eve - a particularly bad day weather wise with the roads being deliberately left un treated in the hope people would stay at home.

Take the advice of others - you have literally just passed your test, have very little experience and common sense should prevail - a motorbike is not for winter!

yep oxford battery master and a king size duvet
job done

Yes I agree with Robert and Paul , it’s just not worth the risk riding in the winter , I used to have to before we could afford a car but now mine stay in the garage and use the car

Thats an odd statement to make a few days after you posted this?

New Years Eve - a particularly bad day weather wise with the roads being deliberately left un treated in the hope people would stay at home.

Take the advice of others - you have literally just passed your test, have very little experience and common sense should prevail - a motorbike is not for winter!
I think he means that he was riding in the winter but has now decided not too but do agree although it’s frustrating not being able to ride in the winter it’s just too risky
The salt ruins the aluminium and chrome as well

you can ride in winter with the right bike and a casual attitude, it can be quite fun, my old ER5 i had cost £700 and it had a cage on it that pretty much allowed you to almost roll it.
i coated the bleeder in GT85 and had heated grips with the funky delivery rider oxford mitts.
some dirt cheap frank thomas gear and its all good.

but................... ICE no way just the dry days i did, even down to -5 on one day over saddleworth moor.

I think he means that he was riding in the winter but has now decided not too but do agree although it’s frustrating not being able to ride in the winter it’s just too risky

Thanks. I didn’t think it was that hard to understand.

you can ride in winter with the right bike and a casual attitude, it can be quite fun, my old ER5 i had cost £700 and it had a cage on it that pretty much allowed you to almost roll it.
i coated the bleeder in GT85 and had heated grips with the funky delivery rider oxford mitts.
some dirt cheap frank thomas gear and its all good.

but................... ICE no way just the dry days i did, even down to -5 on one day over saddleworth moor.
Yes agree I used to ride all year round on my old superdream , we didn’t have a car but use the car now when it’s icy

A Canadian friend of mine could only use his bike 3 months of the year, the rest of the year it was too wet, too cold or just plain dangerous. He did have a snowmobile too :D

Even a car isn't great on ice. Mine is 4WD, not bad in snow, but useless on a sheet of ice.

I must be a risk-taker by nature then (actually, I'm not), as I do ride all year - admittedly not when it's icy/frosty or peeing down. Those crisp but sunny winter days are lovely for being out on two wheels.

The ironic thing is that night the temperature hadn’t got down to zero according to both the weather apps I use. Anyway, as I said I won’t be taking the bike if there is a risk of ice. The rain and wet roads I’ve coped with fine. Almost all my training was done in pouring rain and I’ve done a total of 5000 miles in 11 months, a lot of it in really wet conditions.
It’s all a learning experience!

When I took my bike test, we didn't have a phone. The morning dawned bright and very frosty so off I pootled to the test centre on my trusty CG125. The examiner was a bit surprised to see me since they'd cancelled all the other tests due to the weather but he offered me the chance to take it since I was there. He sent me round the blocks in a figure of 8 and told me that at some point he'd get me to do an emergency stop; when I saw he'd opened his window, I guessed (correctly!) that an arm was about to appear.

The ironic thing is that night the temperature hadn’t got down to zero according to both the weather apps I use. Anyway, as I said I won’t be taking the bike if there is a risk of ice. The rain and wet roads I’ve coped with fine. Almost all my training was done in pouring rain and I’ve done a total of 5000 miles in 11 months, a lot of it in really wet conditions.
It’s all a learning experience!

Back in 2003 when I got back into biking I covered around 12k a year, commuting from Heathrow to the city at least 3 times a week, a couple of trips to Europe every year, and to a number of BSB/WSB events. I could handle the cold, but I hated rain. Even with a 1 piece waterproof it gets in somewhere (usually by the neck). I put quite a few miles on my old SV650S over 2 years, then I tried an Aprillia, that affair was short lived and I went to a Gixxer 600 before a FireBlade. I haven't had a bike for a few years now though.

It's the crotch that usually starts leaking first for me! I'm not the only one, either - I have a vivid memory of 4 of us in a motorway service station gents with our waterproofs pulled out so the "hand" drier hot air warms the parts that other driers cannot reach!!!
The most waterproof waterproofs I ever had were ancient but weren't breathable so I got almost as wet from the sweat build up as I would have done from rain ingress.

thing i found brilliant were gortex trousers worn over long boots, not tucked in.
nowadays i have some bib style trousers that have old sytle braces and come up to my chest, very comfortable from J and S about 5 years ago, i then have an old hein gerrick jacket over them,

bit like these

Oxford Products Continental MS Pants Tech Black | J&S Accessories

Last edited:
Best selling bikes by category last month.
Dec 2020 sales were up 58% on Dec 2019.

IMG_0120.JPG

i hit a bit a couple of weeks ago up by the tan hill pub in the yorkshire dales, ive a cam on the helmet so replying it back i can see i went over one patch that i just thought was water across the road, i had slowed down as i was on a single track road and a car was coming opposite...as i was accelerating i hit the next patch ..why is adrenaline always brown

Best selling bikes by category last month.
Dec 2020 sales were up 58% on Dec 2019.

my mate has the 650 v strom...its an excellent bike

im another rider that rides all year round, now were in lockdown im gagging to get back on the bike and its only been a week...spent all day planning a trip and booking accommodation for scotland in june with a couple of mates...the lockdown better be finished by then, i go every year and i just love it

im another rider that rides all year round, now were in lockdown im gagging to get back on the bike and its only been a week...spent all day planning a trip and booking accommodation for scotland in june with a couple of mates...the lockdown better be finished by then, i go every year and i just love it

I test rode the V-Strom 650 XT and loved it. In the yellow they look gorgeous. I then test rode the Triumph Tiger, which was just in a different universe. It was like comparing an Aston Martin to a Ford, and if I’d gone for the Suzuki (which is a better looking bike) I’d have regretted it, even if it was a lot cheaper!

Sorry to hear about the fall Richard - hopefully feeling a bit better now.

I used to be an all-weather rider. Places that caught me with ice would be the tops o hump-back bridges. They could be slippery when all else was fine.

Sorry to hear about the fall Richard - hopefully feeling a bit better now.

I used to be an all-weather rider. Places that caught me with ice would be the tops o hump-back bridges. They could be slippery when all else was fine.

Thank you. Feeling a lot less painful now. I’m down to taking the meds only when I wake up and when I go to bed. Still can’t sleep on my left side though.

Back