Motorbikes

My alloy cases were fine, even after use on salted roads. A good coating of ACF50 and a wipe down with an ACF50 oily rag after a ride kept them up to scratch. However, my other Bonnies have black cases and I prefer the way the engine looks all in black so I got a set of cases from WorldOfTriumph and it looks much better now! Shame I've only managed a couple of hundred miles on it since I did the swap - hoping for fewer restrictions this year! Tempted by an X-box to improve the sound track...

Sounds like it’s the bike for you!
It may well be, but...... If you have the time could you please tell me what made you choose the Tiger over the V Strom ?
I'm going to take an online look at the Tiger but from memory of sitting on one at a dealer a couple of years ago they were fairly expensive as were any extras - a more quality bike for sure, but in terms of riding (which I've not done ) what do you like about the Tiger.
I have a problem in that my right ankle is fused ie doesn't bend, meaning that a low centre of gravity and low weight are fairly important. My old Tiger was very top heavy, which was fine back then as my ankle wasn't fused, but now I'd be terrified of breaking my ankle and losing my leg as a result.....

@Nod - you are in or close to Exeter aren't you ?
Does the Triumph dealer there also sell Suzuki's ?
Maybe I should have a day out sometime - I'm about 80 miles away. I'd be happy to buy you a coffee if we were to meet there, feel like I owe you one in a way.

It may well be, but...... If you have the time could you please tell me what made you choose the Tiger over the V Strom ?
I'm going to take an online look at the Tiger but from memory of sitting on one at a dealer a couple of years ago they were fairly expensive as were any extras - a more quality bike for sure, but in terms of riding (which I've not done ) what do you like about the Tiger.
I have a problem in that my right ankle is fused ie doesn't bend, meaning that a low centre of gravity and low weight are fairly important. My old Tiger was very top heavy, which was fine back then as my ankle wasn't fused, but now I'd be terrified of breaking my ankle and losing my leg as a result.....

I test rode the Suzuki first. I’m 1.74m and it felt really comfortable and responsive. I was on my toes when stopped at lights. Price wise it’s a lot cheaper than the Triumph. As I mentioned, its spec is quite basic. Not having cruise control available bothered me because I intend to do some riding to Spain, and it would be a great benefit. However I came away loving it.

I then took a Tiger out and it felt like something in a different class. It was more comfortable in that the seat height is lower (adjustable from 810 to 830mm (the V-Strom is 835mm) and lighter.
Obviously it’s more powerful, but I’m not a speed demon. When talking about them both to my girlfriend I likened it to comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. The Tiger just felt like a class above, and if I’d bought the Suzuki I know I’d have ended up regretting it. I like the standard toys I mentioned before, the heated grips, the cruise control, and I also love the 7inch customisable TFT dash. I’m not very old school in that respect.

Forgot to mention, Triumph also do a version of the Tiger GT with an even lower seat height, 760-780mm.

I test rode the Suzuki first. I’m 1.74m and it felt really comfortable and responsive. I was on my toes when stopped at lights. Price wise it’s a lot cheaper than the Triumph. As I mentioned, its spec is quite basic. Not having cruise control available bothered me because I intend to do some riding to Spain, and it would be a great benefit. However I came away loving it.

I then took a Tiger out and it felt like something in a different class. It was more comfortable in that the seat height is lower (adjustable from 810 to 830mm (the V-Strom is 835mm) and lighter.
Obviously it’s more powerful, but I’m not a speed demon. When talking about them both to my girlfriend I likened it to comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. The Tiger just felt like a class above, and if I’d bought the Suzuki I know I’d have ended up regretting it. I like the standard toys I mentioned before, the heated grips, the cruise control, and I also love the 7inch customisable TFT dash. I’m not very old school in that respect.
Thanks so much for this - I'm 1.85, and have no problem with seat height - to some extent the taller the better as I've got long spindly legs. Given that my current bike is 17 years old any toys are going to be amazing to me, and I wouldn't know what I was missing - looks like the Suzuki should be top of my list, but I'll try to take a ride on both. I may get some heated gloves rather than grips, which I've never really found kept my fingers warm. I'm not the toughest of bikers am I.... Barkbusters, daylight lights, a slightly noisy exhaust, a top box and a sat nav should do me for fancy bits.

@Nod - you are in or close to Exeter aren't you ?
Does the Triumph dealer there also sell Suzuki's ?
Maybe I should have a day out sometime - I'm about 80 miles away. I'd be happy to buy you a coffee if we were to meet there, feel like I owe you one in a way.

Yup, I'm in Exeter. TBH, I'm not sure the main dealer is where I'd go for either (it's the same dealer for the big 4 Japanese brands and Triumph) option that you're looking at, I'd carry on a bit through Marsh Barton to Speed Motorcycles who sell all sorts of different brands second hand at good prices - their policy seems to be to have every bike on page 1 of a search for a particular bike sorted by price low to high. No café at Speed but there is one at Bodge...

With a fused right ankle, I'd be tempted by something with decent, progressive front brakes as well as something lower than an "adventure" bike - unless you're planning on some off roading, in which case I'd probably go for the much cheaper (and lighter) Royal Enfield Himalayan (the dealer for them is at the other end of town from the other 2 but there is also a dealer in Bude - North Cornwall Motorcycles). Another option (thinking fused ankle again) might be the sort-of-automatic Honda, a proper bike with a flappy paddle type gearbox. Can't remember how its brakes work (might be one on each lever and could certainly be adapted to that). Might be worth getting in touch with the National Association of Bikers with a Disability.

Yup, I'm in Exeter. TBH, I'm not sure the main dealer is where I'd go for either (it's the same dealer for the big 4 Japanese brands and Triumph) option that you're looking at, I'd carry on a bit through Marsh Barton to Speed Motorcycles who sell all sorts of different brands second hand at good prices - their policy seems to be to have every bike on page 1 of a search for a particular bike sorted by price low to high. No café at Speed but there is one at Bodge...

With a fused right ankle, I'd be tempted by something with decent, progressive front brakes as well as something lower than an "adventure" bike - unless you're planning on some off roading, in which case I'd probably go for the much cheaper (and lighter) Royal Enfield Himalayan (the dealer for them is at the other end of town from the other 2 but there is also a dealer in Bude - North Cornwall Motorcycles). Another option (thinking fused ankle again) might be the sort-of-automatic Honda, a proper bike with a flappy paddle type gearbox. Can't remember how its brakes work (might be one on each lever and could certainly be adapted to that). Might be worth getting in touch with the National Association of Bikers with a Disability.
Thanks for your reply Nod - I don't know of Speed Motorcycles, but will take heed..
My ankle doesn't limit me too much, except I can't run, so have given up my life of crime as I'd not be much good at running away from the scene. If we ever met you'd not know I had any issues as I don't limp.
I've managed with dirt bikes, my CBF etc with no problem, and don't plan to go off road any more, but certainly don't want a Royal Enfield, having had access to one a good few years ago - if I were to go down that route I'd be tempted to get a BSA Bantam, which was my first bike or a Triumph Tiger Cub, my second. I like tall bikes, like an upright sitting position, but am aware that my right ankle is of limited use if I start to fall over and need to push a bike back up - on my dirt bike I learnt to just jump clear, and hope I'd be able to do the same if needed on any road bike.
If I start to admit that I'm falling apart I'll have a massive list of problems to add to the list

Royal Enfields are no longer Royal Oilfields! Hugely changed over the last 10-15 years and significantly faster than even a D14 Bantam (not to mention more comfortable, more reliable etc....)

Speed are a large second hand showroom, owned by a huge Z1300 fan and lifelong biker and all the sales staff are keen bikers too. Used motorbikes for sale in Exeter & Devon: Speed Superbikes Ltd (speedthrills.co.uk)
Ha Ha, yes, I'd expect them to be a little better. Most things are aside from the pink-tinted memories of my first D3...
Thanks for the link, A day out, when allowed, might be needed.

Let me know when you're likely to come up.

With the rise in temperature it’s nice not having to dress like an astronaut to go to work.

Wisdom? :wideyed:

Thanks so much for this - I'm 1.85, and have no problem with seat height - to some extent the taller the better as I've got long spindly legs. Given that my current bike is 17 years old any toys are going to be amazing to me, and I wouldn't know what I was missing - looks like the Suzuki should be top of my list, but I'll try to take a ride on both. I may get some heated gloves rather than grips, which I've never really found kept my fingers warm. I'm not the toughest of bikers am I.... Barkbusters, daylight lights, a slightly noisy exhaust, a top box and a sat nav should do me for fancy bits.

The Yamaha Ténéré gets very good reviews. It’s pretty tall too.

Another option (thinking fused ankle again) might be the sort-of-automatic Honda, a proper bike with a flappy paddle type gearbox. Can't remember how its brakes work (might be one on each lever and could certainly be adapted to that). Might be worth getting in touch with the National Association of Bikers with a Disability.
That will be the NC750 DCT in either X or S version up until 2020, now there is only 1 version. There is also a cheaper manual version.
X is the adventure style, S is the street version, amalgamated in 2021 to a lower seat height, plus some revisions.
DCT is the auto version, brakes are as a normal bike, i.e. right hand lever front brake, right hand foot pedal rear brake, just the clutch hand lever and foot gear lever is now 'missing' as there is no need for either.
The bike has been described as like an auto diesel car engine in a bike because of its low revving nature, tbh in DCT mode you don't notice it, the manual version you might run out of revs when overtaking. DCT just changes gear instantly as required when overtaking.
Good all rounder but definitely not a real off roader, gravel lanes are ok. Very good on fuel and running costs in general, reliable too. Can be driven in 5 modes, D for full auto max mpg, ok for bimbling, 3 sport modes, progressively more revvy, I use S2 mostly or you can use it fully manual with auto clutch. D and S gear selection can be over ridden using paddles up or down to give a seamless gear change. Great handling, low c if g as the engine is canted forward, petrol tank under seat and a storage unit where most bikes have a fuel tank. It's like a twist and go scooter but with motorcycle architecture, wheels, handling and styling.
Any other questions just ask.

Last edited:
Guessing that a hydraulic clutch master cylinder could be fitted and adapted to apply the rear brake (should such a mod be necessary to overcome any issue that a fused ankle might cause)?

That will be the NC750 DCT in either X or S version up until 2020, now there is only 1 version. There is also a cheaper manual version.
X is the adventure style, S is the street version, amalgamated in 2021 to a lower seat height, plus some revisions.
DCT is the auto version, brakes are as a normal bike, i.e. right hand lever front brake, right hand foot pedal rear brake, just the clutch hand lever and foot gear lever is now 'missing' as there is no need for either.
The bike has been described as like an auto diesel car engine in a bike because of its low revving nature, tbh in DCT mode you don't notice it, the manual version you might run out of revs when overtaking. DCT just changes gear instantly as required when overtaking.
Good all rounder but definitely not a real off roader, gravel lanes are ok. Very good on fuel and running costs in general, reliable too. Can be driven in 5 modes, D for full auto max mpg, ok for bimbling, 3 sport modes, progressively more revvy, I use S2 mostly or you can use it fully manual with auto clutch. D and S gear selection can be over ridden using paddles up or down to give a seamless gear change. Great handling, low c if g as the engine is canted forward, petrol tank under seat and a storage unit where most bikes have a fuel tank. It's like a twist and go scooter but with motorcycle architecture, wheels, handling and styling.
Any other questions just ask.
Thanks for the write up, and the time it must have taken, much appreciated, and I'll have a look into them.
Guessing that a hydraulic clutch master cylinder could be fitted and adapted to apply the rear brake (should such a mod be necessary to overcome any issue that a fused ankle might cause)?
No mods needed - my ankle is fine, does almost all I'd ever need aside from running. Never had any problems with my cbf1000 or a dirt bike aside from the fear of dropping it on its rhs. My cbf feels a bit heavy when wheeling it about, but otherwise the only problem I have is that I can't pull on biking boots so have to use short shoe type boots.
Anyway, who uses the back brake, I can only do stoppies on the front wheel....

@stevewestern very true about the rear brake, when i did my direct access about 20 years ago it was used only if you had to stand the bike up mid corner or just a dab when coming to a halt to stop front diving.

Back brake is invaluable when it's cold and wet. I'd far rather have the back end try to overtake the front that have the front wash out.

Harley Davidson are launching their ADV bike today. It’s quite unusually styled in my view.

Not much of a looker, is it?

I reckon my head is about as high as its tank when I'm on the Bobber!

Tech-wise it’s quite impressive though. I love the idea of the adaptive ride height feature:

"So the bike senses when you’re coming to a stop, anticipates that, then seamlessly lowers the bike to inspire that level of confidence that you might not have. It’s also great for getting on and off. Adventure bikes can be intimidating for people who aren’t that tall, so being able to mount the bike easily is huge."

I'm reasonably tall (6' 1") but don't like the higher CoG of adventure bikes. The only bike that falls under that heading that I do like is the Royal Enfield Himalayan but that's more a mid-range trail bike with panniers so not too top heavy.

I'm reasonably tall (6' 1") but don't like the higher CoG of adventure bikes. The only bike that falls under that heading that I do like is the Royal Enfield Himalayan but that's more a mid-range trail bike with panniers so not too top heavy.

I’m only 1.74m (5ft 8 I think), which is why that H-D feature appeals to me.

The front end is horrid to look at but they have at least got the pricing right I think. Motorcycling needs to keep as many manufacturers in it as possible so I do hope HD survives but they need to attract a new demographic, maybe this is the beginning.

The front end is horrid to look at but they have at least got the pricing right I think. Motorcycling needs to keep as many manufacturers in it as possible so I do hope HD survives but they need to attract a new demographic, maybe this is the beginning.

the front looks like a sinclair C5

i kind of agree, with a few small tweaks the bike could be reasonable, the front end is awful and those tyres look pointless for road use.
the HD badge is quite discrete which is a bonus and i quite like the seat arrangement, and the exhaust is not as bad as some jap makers are doing.

i kind of agree, with a few small tweaks the bike could be reasonable, the front end is awful and those tyres look pointless for road use.
the HD badge is quite discrete which is a bonus and i quite like the seat arrangement, and the exhaust is not as bad as some jap makers are doing.

Looking at their website, it looks like that wheel/tyre combination is an option.

I think they are gunning for the BMW 1250GS/ GS Adventure market.

On the Tiger 900 front; I test rode one last year (the GT) and it is awesome. I currently have the 1215 Explorer and the 900 was so much easier to move around. The weight seems much lower than on the Explorer. I do love my Tex but I am on the lookout for something that will be easier to manhandle and hold up when I stop on an off camber piece of pavement. The 900GT seems to fit the bill.

is it me or does the harley look like marvin the paranoid android from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :p

On the Tiger 900 front; I test rode one last year (the GT) and it is awesome. I currently have the 1215 Explorer and the 900 was so much easier to move around. The weight seems much lower than on the Explorer. I do love my Tex but I am on the lookout for something that will be easier to manhandle and hold up when I stop on an off camber piece of pavement. The 900GT seems to fit the bill.

I’m still loving mine.

I had a new bit delivered for it today.

IMG_0211.JPG

I think they are gunning for the BMW 1250GS/ GS Adventure market.
My feeling is that they are a little late to that market but it shows an intent from the new management. The Livewire being released this early is a mistake in my mind, they need to engage with a new demographic before they bring electric into production. The current demographic does not appear to be one that buys into climate change and electric vehicles. (Long Way Up was crap by the way and I am a huge fam of Long Way Round and a bit of a fan of Long Way Down.)

We all know that a V Twin CAN make a terrific sports bike and even a good commuter (Remember the VT500?).

Here's one of my favourite riders (a bloody lovely fella) showing that a Harley can be ridden fast :clap:

Jeremy McWilliams leading (and winning) the XR1200 race. Indianapolis MotoGP meeting 2013

P8182292.jpg

Back