Motorbikes

off to my brothers in newbury for couple of days tuesday...normally 204 miles...seeing as im going on the bike il eek it out to 337 miles through the centre of wales, taking in the gospel pass in the black mounatins...wales's highest road...just booked a few days in skye for the end of march..praying for the weather gods to be kind for that one

Is it open now? Last time I rode up there it was closed due to a landslide.

Just a quick heads up, Dave. Our local supermarket was out of super unleaded (and Diesel) yesterday. I'm guessing that it might not be a local problem so keep an eye out for fuel.

Just a quick heads up, Dave. Our local supermarket was out of super unleaded (and Diesel) yesterday. I'm guessing that it might not be a local problem so keep an eye out for fuel.
I filled up 3 times Friday riding round the lakes...no problem and no queue...haven't seen any problems locally here in Liverpool either...might have to do a bit of a detour if the gospel path out...il have a think about route tomorrow and plan in extra petrol

Reactions: Nod
I filled up 3 times Friday riding round the lakes...no problem and no queue...haven't seen any problems locally here in Liverpool either...might have to do a bit of a detour if the gospel path out...il have a think about route tomorrow and plan in extra petrol

Can’t you try it anyway, just so I know :D

There was a queue in Sainsburys as we drove past earlier this afternoon but that may have been for the car wash as much as for half termers on their way home. Still got 1/2 a tank in both ICE cars so can wait a while!

Hoping to get a few MOTs sorted on the bikes soon - today's trip up to the Bristol Classic Bike show has rewhetted my appetite a bit! (The glorious [if a bit chilly!] weather helped too.)

Looking at the AA roadworks map, there don't seem to be any around Cwmyoy (which is where Google Maps tells me the Gospel Pass is.

Looking at the AA roadworks map, there don't seem to be any around Cwmyoy (which is where Google Maps tells me the Gospel Pass is.

There was nothing listed the last two times I went there either. After the second attempt I gave up and removed it from my routes.

Ah! The local Tourist Information Centre should be able to help. Failing that, I think there's a cycling centre fairly local, they might help.

Respect for you guys that ride all year round, I used to but now don’t ride in the winter it’s too cold :oops: :$
Getting my bikes ready for spring though, sent the LC oil pump away to be reconditioned, it’s nearly 40 years old so getting it done for peace of mind
Treated the bandit to a new battery the one on the bike is the original one since new in 2010 so playing safe again
The bandit is perfect for going out with my camera gear it’s got Givi luggage and I fitted a Sargent touring seat last year :)

Respect for you guys that ride all year round, I used to but now don’t ride in the winter it’s too cold :oops: :$
Getting my bikes ready for spring though, sent the LC oil pump away to be reconditioned, it’s nearly 40 years old so getting it done for peace of mind
Treated the bandit to a new battery the one on the bike is the original one since new in 2010 so playing safe again
The bandit is perfect for going out with my camera gear it’s got Givi luggage and I fitted a Sargent touring seat last year :)

Year round isn't too bad with good gear, handlebar muffs and a gaucho make a big difference. That said I used four wheels for my last winter commute, soft in my dotage.

I usually take a camera with me on rides but rarely use it, the road ahead always seems more compelling. Must make more effort!

Year round isn't too bad with good gear, handlebar muffs and a gaucho make a big difference. That said I used four wheels for my last winter commute, soft in my dotage.

I usually take a camera with me on rides but rarely use it, the road ahead always seems more compelling. Must make more effort!
Yes we used to ride all year round but it’s warmer in the car at my age :oops: :$

Nowt to be gained freezing your arse off, parking 4 wheels was a PITA though.

Swings/roundabouts :)

I think it’s all about having the right gear. I don’t regret for a second getting rid of my car.

ive done about 700 miles the last couple of days had my camera with me...took 3 shots...all s***e, just snaps..i always have good intentions...but hey ho

In preparation for my ride to The Alps I’ve just ordered a Puig touring screen in dark smoke. Looks like I’ll have to do some adjustment of the position of the front-facing camera to install it, but that’s no bother.
I was going to replace the screen anyway, because mine is scratched after the bike ended up in a bush when I went down in the mud :D

In the spring and summer I often combine the two and use my bike to go to nature reserves
My macro setup fits perfectly in the givi luggage and I just pack away the riding gear into the luggage boxes

Last edited:
I used to hate washing my car. I love washing my bike.

View attachment 345910

Don't care for it myself even though I like my bike to be clean, I always seem to lose some skin and 'miss a bit' when doing the wheels.

When I want to inflate the tyres the valves are always in a awkward position but the bit I missed on the wheels is always in plain sight, how does that work?

That said it's a good chance to check the bike over, I found a couple of lose fasteners last time.

Looking forward to a ride on Tuesday :)

5E9FB747-DF34-4628-A5C4-D38330D42C38.jpeg

Oil pump for the LC back from the engineers all fitted and primed
Nearly ready for the road now , hopefully ready to go for April

IMG_0380.jpeg

The way it's going we might all be riding around on Honda Super Cubs before long. I do quite fancy one, I must admit.

I'm glad my bike averages over 50mpg because my camper van (daily driver) average is so bad I've never calculated it properly :/

Last edited:
I've now had two good rides on my CB500 and the average MPG is reading 87.3mpg.

That might go down as I get more used to it but still...

I’ve watched a couple of reviews of the new Triumph Tiger 1200 range. They seem to be very highly rated.

Back