Beginner Motorsport Photography Equipment

Reddekz

Name
Magnus
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm as new as the beginners come, I've decided I would like to begin taking photos of motorsport, this mostly includes cars (etc. GT3, Open Wheel), i need to buy a camera to to begin all this but since im as new as i am i really don't know what camera to go for or what lens, my budget isn't that high to the beginning but i'm expecting to upgrade if i can see myself working with this later. I'm really looking for some feedback on what cameras and lenses are best for a starter like me. Maybe I'm new but I would still like to actually get some good pictures and also why I didn't just buy the cheapest camera I could find.

Hello,

I'm as new as the beginners come, I've decided I would like to begin taking photos of motorsport, this mostly includes cars (etc. GT3, Open Wheel), i need to buy a camera to to begin all this but since im as new as i am i really don't know what camera to go for or what lens, my budget isn't that high to the beginning but i'm expecting to upgrade if i can see myself working with this later. I'm really looking for some feedback on what cameras and lenses are best for a starter like me. Maybe I'm new but I would still like to actually get some good pictures and also why I didn't just buy the cheapest camera I could find.
Do you live in the UK?
Which circuits do you intend to go to?
What is your budget?
Do you want to buy new or used equipment?
Do you have a brand preference?
Have you used a camera before, other than your phone?

You’ll want a lens of around 300 or 400mm in focal length plus a camera. Any modern DSLR or mirrorless should be up to the job for a beginner. Secondhand mid-tier equipment probably better bet than new entry-level kit.

Do you live in the UK?
Which circuits do you intend to go to?
What is your budget?
Do you want to buy new or used equipment?
Do you have a brand preference?
Have you used a camera before, other than your phone?
No, i live in Denmark, close to an airport so i can actually just fly to the UK if there is a race i would like to go to.
The circuits i'm going to in the start is some here in Denmark, mainly to photograph F4 & F5 Denmark, though also some Super GT and some karting.
Around 650 Euros.
Used equipment would be a fine start i think.
Not really.
No.

I actually found a used camera kit with a Nikon D5300 including following: Charger ( and battery ), SD Card, Nikon 18-200mm DX VR 1:3,5-5,6 G ED, Nikon 35mm DX 1:1,8 G, Nikon 18-55mm DX VR G.II 1:3,5-5,6, Nikon SB 400 flash, Rode Video Mic (not going to use it), Remote Control Kit with sender and receiver, Some lens hoods, Mitzumo case there is dust and waterproof. For this whole set the person only wants 525 Euro, would this be recommend as a start, i find it pretty interesting myself.

You’ll want a lens of around 300 or 400mm in focal length plus a camera. Any modern DSLR or mirrorless should be up to the job for a beginner. Secondhand mid-tier equipment probably better bet than new entry-level kit.
I know there isnt a 300 or 400mm but what do you think of the kit i posted above?

Why don't you use ebay and LCE etc for price comparisons?
Don't know what LCE is, im not to well know with eBay, and just scared some of the sales there is a scam and cause of that not to good to use at a price comparison..
It was also a bit more to know what he thought about the deal

Last edited:
Don't know what LCE is, im not to well know with eBay, and just scared some of the sales there is a scam and cause of that not to good to use at a price comparison..
It was also a bit more to know what he thought about the deal
London Camera Exchange.

If you search for completed items on ebay, you will only get those transactions that have been completed as results, it is a fair reflection of prices, as it gives an indication of bargain prices, also of what people are prepared to pay. But like anything, it is only a guide.
There are not many scams on ebay, the buyers are well protected.

@Reddekz as you live in Denmark my advice would be to have this conversation with someone who also lives in Denmark. They will be able to offer much better advice on pricing and on where to to buy from.

London Camera Exchange.

If you search for completed items on ebay, you will only get those transactions that have been completed as results, it is a fair reflection of prices, as it gives an indication of bargain prices, also of what people are prepared to pay. But like anything, it is only a guide.
There are not many scams on ebay, the buyers are well protected.
oh okay, but what are your opinion about the camera kit i told longer up? ^

@Reddekz as you live in Denmark my advice would be to have this conversation with someone who also lives in Denmark. They will be able to offer much better advice on pricing and on where to to buy from.
The price isnt the big issue for me, if we just exclude the price i wanna know what you guys would recommend as a good starting camera for motorsport photography

I know there isnt a 300 or 400mm but what do you think of the kit i posted above?
It seems a good buy, what is the shutter count and condition?

I am not a Nikon user, so really my opining is worth little :)

No, i live in Denmark, close to an airport so i can actually just fly to the UK if there is a race i would like to go to.
The circuits i'm going to in the start is some here in Denmark, mainly to photograph F4 & F5 Denmark, though also some Super GT and some karting.
Around 650 Euros.
Used equipment would be a fine start i think.
Not really.
No.

I actually found a used camera kit with a Nikon D5300 including following: Charger ( and battery ), SD Card, Nikon 18-200mm DX VR 1:3,5-5,6 G ED, Nikon 35mm DX 1:1,8 G, Nikon 18-55mm DX VR G.II 1:3,5-5,6, Nikon SB 400 flash, Rode Video Mic (not going to use it), Remote Control Kit with sender and receiver, Some lens hoods, Mitzumo case there is dust and waterproof. For this whole set the person only wants 525 Euro, would this be recommend as a start, i find it pretty interesting myself.
I don’t photograph motorsport but that kits generally good for starting at that price. For track shots the 18-200 may be ok but could be on the short side in some places on some tracks. It won’t be the fastest focusing lens or the sharpest but should be ok to begin with. I doubt you will have much use for the flash, mic or the remote control kit which is likely for the flash.

The easiest way to see if that’s a good price would be to total up the individual prices of the kit that you will have a use for.

One thing I’d recommend would be looking for a D7xxx series camera as they have front and rear control dials so you can control two of Shutter speed, aperture and ISO without needing to go into the menu. A D7xxx camera is more expensive but should be easier to use with controls to hand.

I’m a Canon user so not sure about Nikon suitability. Lens is too short really for circuit racing in the uk from spectator areas but would be an ok everyday tourist lens, and could be used in the paddock where you can get close to the cars and people.

A secondhand Canon xxD series camera and a 70-300, 100-400 or 150-600 lens would be my recommendations for motorsport.

The camera world is switching away from SLR format to a mirrorless. Canon EOS lenses can be used on their new mirrorless range with an adaptor. Good quality lenses will keep their value, the cheaper lenses probably won’t. My next motorsport camera will probably be mirrorless.

Last edited:
In all honesty, you could probably get away with a typical camera and twin kit lens set up (18-55mm and 55-250/300mm range) - look for what is available new (model numbers etc) and then search used.

I'm certainly not up to date with the latest apsc cameras to recommend though sorry.

Motorsport is typically somewhere where technique is pretty important compared to the best gear in hand!

I’m a Canon user so not sure about Nikon suitability. Lens is too short really for circuit racing in the uk from spectator areas but would be an ok everyday tourist lens, and could be used in the paddock where you can get close to the cars and people.

A secondhand Canon xxD series camera and a 70-300, 100-400 or 150-600 lens would be my recommendations for motorsport.

The camera world is switching away from SLR format to a mirrorless. Canon EOS lenses can be used on their new mirrorless range with an adaptor. Good quality lenses will keep their value, the cheaper lenses probably won’t. My next motorsport camera will probably be mirrorless.

So you are recommending a Canon EOS Dxx Series camera with an 70-300 mm?
Any specific camera in the series you can recommend to a "cheap" price?

Last edited:
I’m recommending a Canon xxD series camera because I find them easier to use than the xxxD cameras and as a beginner the features and cost of the xD range are not justified. I won’t comment on the Nikon range as I’m not familiar with them, or those from other manufacturers such as Sony, Olympus, Fuji etc

The older the camera the cheaper it is, you could get a 20D for £50 or so, but small images, limited features. It was state of the art when it was released. You’ve got to weigh up your budget with what you need to buy - camera, lens, monopod maybe, bag, batteries, memory cards and so on…

I’m recommending a Canon xxD series camera because I find them easier to use than the xxxD cameras and as a beginner the features and cost of the xD range are not justified. I won’t comment on the Nikon range as I’m not familiar with them, or those from other manufacturers such as Sony, Olympus, Fuji etc

The older the camera the cheaper it is, you could get a 20D for £50 or so, but small images, limited features. It was state of the art when it was released. You’ve got to weigh up your budget with what you need to buy - camera, lens, monopod maybe, bag, batteries, memory cards and so on…
Oh okay, is the order in which model is newest the higher number or is it the lower number equals newer, etc Canon 70D is more new and better than Canon 20D or is it the other way around?

Oh okay, is the order in which model is newest the higher number or is it the lower number equals newer, etc Canon 70D is more new and better than Canon 20D or is it the other way around?

You can easily check that sort of thing for any brand of body and many lenses on dpreview.com.

Since your use is so specific you’ll do best with what people here recommend but I notice the Canon 70D got a good review on dpreview though their ratings are more reliant on specifications than usage.

Firstly - don't buy anything new. You can pick lots of really good and comparatively inexpensive equipment up on MPB.

I shot motorsport for years with a Canon 400D and a Sigma 70 to 300mm APO (a truly awful lens, but it was light and cheap.

If starting out, I would suggest a Canon XXXD or Canon XXD body. I have been shooting with a Canon 70D and 60D for the last seven years and see no need to upgrade them as they do all that I need.

In terms of lenses, you can shoot with a shorter zoom range than you think at a lot of circuits. In my camera bag, I carry:

Canon 15 to 85mm - you can get some really interesting motorsport shots with slow shutter speeds and wide angles
Tamron 70 to 300mm - probably my worst lens, as it is soft and the autofocus can be a bit dubious. But stopped down, it's isn't that bad.
Tamron 150 to 600mm - my main motorsport lens. The image stabilisation on it is no good for panning and it is heavy - but I have got some fantastic shots with it.
Canon 50mm 1.8 - weighs nothing so I always chuck it in my bag.
In the car, I also keen a sigma 10 to 20mm for paddock shots.

Firstly - don't buy anything new. You can pick lots of really good and comparatively inexpensive equipment up on MPB.

I shot motorsport for years with a Canon 400D and a Sigma 70 to 300mm APO (a truly awful lens, but it was light and cheap.

If starting out, I would suggest a Canon XXXD or Canon XXD body. I have been shooting with a Canon 70D and 60D for the last seven years and see no need to upgrade them as they do all that I need.

In terms of lenses, you can shoot with a shorter zoom range than you think at a lot of circuits. In my camera bag, I carry:

Canon 15 to 85mm - you can get some really interesting motorsport shots with slow shutter speeds and wide angles
Tamron 70 to 300mm - probably my worst lens, as it is soft and the autofocus can be a bit dubious. But stopped down, it's isn't that bad.
Tamron 150 to 600mm - my main motorsport lens. The image stabilisation on it is no good for panning and it is heavy - but I have got some fantastic shots with it.
Canon 50mm 1.8 - weighs nothing so I always chuck it in my bag.
In the car, I also keen a sigma 10 to 20mm for paddock shots.
Thanks for the answer, a lot of usefull information.

Is it possible that i can get somewhere else i can show you some deal i maybe find and you can say if you think it would be a good deal or not?

Yeah sure. I buy all my kit from https://www.mpb.com/en-uk.

Even their satisfactory standard equipment is really good. They are quite picky when it comes to classifying equipment wear and tear.

Yeah sure. I buy all my kit from https://www.mpb.com/en-uk.

Even their satisfactory standard equipment is really good. They are quite picky when it comes to classifying equipment wear and tear.
Thanks a lot.

Followed you on instagram hoping its okay that i'm maybe sending you some deal and hear your opinion on them, must say it some nice pics you have taken!

Much depends of the track access you can get, out on the grid (or in the paddock) a kit lens or even wider can be adequate, but during the races you'll want something significantly longer.
I've generally used APSC for motorsports, something like a 100-300 lens is a good start, but I tended to want more reach later. (My 150-500 is great but for the weight).

These days I only get to the raves when I'm working, so the photo gear tends to be almost as limited as my opportunities to watch the races.

Canons numbering sequence is as follows

xD - professional line,
XxD - mid tier - started at 10D ended up at 90D
XxxD - consumer level, started at 300D
XxxxD - entry level

There are some overlaps in terms of features, but the xxD range over the xxxD range generally has an additional control dial which makes it easier to change settings.

Last edited:
My advice for a beginner set up would be a kit with an 18-55 and 55-200 lens, then body to fit into budget. A longer lens would be better, but you will want to upgrade anyway and if you just start with a cheap lens you will quickly work out what you need for the circuits you shoot at.

My advice for a beginner set up would be a kit with an 18-55 and 55-200 lens, then body to fit into budget. A longer lens would be better, but you will want to upgrade anyway and if you just start with a cheap lens you will quickly work out what you need for the circuits you shoot at.
This is a good shout. I think the 55-250mm canon lens is highly regarded for an entry level telephoto lens. I remember hearing lots of good things about this, and it looks like it can be picked up for not much more than £100

This is a good shout. I think the 55-250mm canon lens is highly regarded for an entry level telephoto lens. I remember hearing lots of good things about this, and it looks like it can be picked up for not much more than £100

I got my wife one for her (my old) 40D. I gave it a bit of a test run and it wasn't too bad. I'd still probably suggest a 70-300 as being slightly more useful for motorsport.

I will throew in my opinio, and TBH there is some pretty good advice in this thread.
I have shot horse Racing point to Point, Motorsport, airshows, portrait, travel, macro most thinks except landscape !
My trusty DSLR is a 7Dii at 20.2mp is just enough, however the AF is the best feature with high buffer and dual card slots of Compact Flash and SD.

Most Motorsport and aviation venues the crowd is some distance from the action so one will need at least 70-300, a 100-400 would be better and the 150-600 if you are long way from the track or you want to shot images on a particular part of a track.

Lenses
canon EF 70-300L IS USM sharp, small, light, easy to carry
canon EF 100-400L IS USM, a very sharp, good reach with out being to heavy or big to carry
Sigma 150-600 contemporary, good IQ with massive reach, though large and heavy lens.
good Monopod !

camera
Canon EOS 7Dii, very good IQ, fast FPS, big buffer, pro body, and with R7 being released I am sure a lot of 7Dii owners will be selling their kit !

Back