Mountain in Iceland

If I ignore the improper DRL settings, a fantastic shot!

Reactions: edz
I like how this suddenly rises from the valley floor, you have captured it very nicely indeed could do with some Welsh Black Cattle grazing on that lush green to add to the scene ;) did you use a single focus point and expose for the strong highlights in the sky then bring out the shadows in PP? thank you for sharing.
Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin.

I usually set it on spot metering, but I think I knocked it to average for some reason. But I metered on the bottom half of the mountain, checked the lcd and adjusted my settings accordingly.

Sky was treated with the grad tool on LR.

I'm not a landscape photographer, so any constructive criticism is welcomed :)

There are some blown highlights in the sky which is a pity but I like it anyway.

Try the selective adjustment brush tool in LR and have at reducing the highlights in the sky a bit to bring back detail

Funny you should day that. Not long after taking this shot and after I've moved on, I actually turned on the blinkers for blown highlights!

They actually are blown, so won't be able to recover them unfortunately :(

Funny you should day that. Not long after taking this shot and after I've moved on, I actually turned on the blinkers for blown highlights!

They actually are blown, so won't be able to recover them unfortunately :(

Careful cloning is the other answer.

Ahh.. So you can see where I've decided to darken the sky etc, is that what you mean?

In fact, I mean that the very first thing to do IS the DRL so to see what your RAW
is capable of delivering. Only then should other tweaks and artistic intent be applied.

Back