Moving files from pc to laptop

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a pc running windows XP that I want to transfer files from, to a laptop running vista.
Can I do this by simply linking the two via a usb lead. What are the pitfalls if any. Do I need to tell the pc that the laptop is an external hard drive, how do I do that.

You can tell from this post that I have no idea what I am doing, so make it simple, please.

Thanks in advance,
Mick.

You can't use a USB lead. Do you have a USB memory stick, if so stick it in the XP box, copy files to it, plug it in the Laptop and copy file from it to the laptop. If you don't have a USB memory stick, do you have a USB memory card reader on both PC and Laptop (or one you can move from one to the other)?? If so plug it into your PC, pop a memory card into it copy files to the memory card remove it and plug it into the laptop.

If none of the above is possible, you could try burning the files to a re-writable CD\DVD. Failing that you are donw to connecting the two machine via netwrok.

Tim

or join the same network, if you have a router that is... then simply drag and drop.

Get yourself a cross over ethernet cable, and network the two machines and transfer the files that way. If its not a massive amount of data then burn on to dvd or drag to usb mass storage.

Fastest way would probably be over a network.

Depending on your OS you can setup networking within 10mins by reading online guides.

Plug your laptop and pc to the router, this will automatically assign ips to both machines...

Once this has been done you can then access the machines by typing \\computer name or ip in the run box.

Make sure you setup shared folders.

Again depending on OS methods might slightly differ... Just google quick network setup for XP etc and you will get loads of tutorials.

One trick you can use to make the security work transparently is to make sure that you have accounts on both machines with identical user names and password. This gets around any requests for authentication.

Back