Moving folders in Lightroom

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a scrren shot of my LR library module

1713735239731.png

When moving folders the LR advice is to do it in LR , rather than Win Explorer .

I want to move my 2023 Archive folder from my C drive SSD to the second hard drive to free up space.
I am sure that i have done it before by just dragging and dropping into the second Drive. You can see the 2020, 2021, and 2022 Arhives there already.
But I cannot get method this to work. I get a 'forbidden' sign ( a slash within a circle)

I can move any number of sub folders within the 2023 Archive to the second drive but not the main folder
I coud set up a new folder within the Second Drive, entitle it 2023 Archive and then move all of the sub folders but that lacks a little bit of logic

Any ideas what I am doing wrong

What I normally do is:

Using Windows Explorer or Finder
-copy the archive folder to the new destination drive
-rename the original archive drive eg 2023a

-fire up Lightroom, which will show a greyed out 2023 folder
-right-click on that folder and when prompted to find missing files, click on the new destination

When Lightroom has updated the library database, you should see on the new drive, all your files with any Lightroom adjustments you’ve made. When you’re happy that everything is good, delete 2023a

Last edited:
What I normally do is:

Using Windows Explorer or Finder
-copy the archive folder to the new destination drive
-rename the original archive drive eg 2023a

-fire up Lightroom, which will show a greyed out 2023 folder
-right-click on that folder and when prompted to find missing files, click on the new destination

When Lightroom has updated the library database, you should see on the new drive, all your files with any Lightroom adjustments you’ve made. When you’re happy that everything is good, delete 2023a

Sounds reasonable.
Just thought from my reading of the advices online that it could be dragged and dropped in LR

Thanks for taking the time to reply so clearly

Sounds reasonable.
Just thought from my reading of the advices online that it could be dragged and dropped in LR

Thanks for taking the time to reply so clearly
No worries, happy to help.

The main reason I do it the way I’ve outlined is that it leaves the original archive files untouched during the file handling process.

In the past I’ve had issues moving big folders when the process has stalled part way through. Can be a bit of a nightmare IMHO.

Back