Moving from bridge to dslr

Name
Lesley
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I’m really in a dilemma about what to do. My bridge camera has been great but I want to improve the quality of my bird photos. I tried a more expensive bridge… the rx10 4 but hated it as I didn’t have the optical zoom I wanted and I just found it far too complicated. . I’m a beginner so don’t know what I’m talking about half the time by the way!
I had a chat ‘online’ with my local camera store who suggested a good dslr (which I have decided on a Canon EOS 850D maybe). The lens I was recommended for birdwatching and getting close is the Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM Lens with 1.4x Teleconverter - Canon Fit.

I’m just worried that it will be too heavy for me? The lens weighs almost 2kg. I’m in my early 50s and have tennis elbow (don’t play tennis tho!).

I’m in a complete dilemma. There doesn’t seem to be anywhere local to me I can actually try this out. Scared to make an expensive mistake. I don’t really want another bridge as the only upgrade woud be to a p1000 and I don’t want one. Any advice greatly received.

It all depends :) there are previous threads on this, some quite recent.

Micro four thirds is another option to look at that may be less weight.

If you will be mostly in the same spot then a tripod would help with the weight.

Micro four thirds is another option to look at that may be less weight.
Agreed.

Look at the Panasonic G9 and the Panasonic Leica 100~400mm. Because of the smaller sensor, this will give you a similar range to the Canon/Sigma combination for much lower weight. It's also a lot easier to hand hold.

Hi and welcome to TP

FWIW

I was a long term Canon user (from about 1989).....fast forward to 2016......when I had the 5Dmk3 and the Canon 100-400mm zoom and had a weight of gear crisis i.e. I was kn***ered every time I took it out!

I switched to Olympus micro 4/3's gear (mFT) and sold all my Canon kit.

I have since upgraded my Olympus bodies but still rely on the 40-150mm f2.8 lens, that on the mFT body and used as necessary with the x2 Teleconverter gives me 600mm in full frame 35mm terms.

If you have a look at this very long thread you see and ask any questions about mFT.

Lastly, it may be a good idea if you said what your budget is so more informed pointers - suggestions can be given :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Take a look at Fuji mirrorless (y)

Hi Lesley, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

Hi and welcome to TP

FWIW

I was a long term Canon user (from about 1989).....fast forward to 2016......when I had the 5Dmk3 and the Canon 100-400mm zoom and had a weight of gear crisis i.e. I was kn***ered every time I took it out!

I have since upgraded my Olympus bodies but still rely on the 40-150mm f2.8 lens, that on the mFT body and used as necessary with the x2 Teleconverter gives me 600mm in full frame 35mm terms.

If you have a look at this very long thread you see and ask any questions about mFT.

Lastly, it may be a good idea if you said what your budget is so more informed pointers - suggestions can be given :)
Thanks about 1500 to 1750

Thanks about 1500 to 1750
IMO to get mFT kit with a longer zoom (probably all makes of note!) your budget would only stretch to secondhand gear...... especially the lens or lenses as 'glass' holds value, in general, better than camera bodies.

PS any buying is a balancing act.......better 'glass' is IMO a key factor but body specs to meet the (actual/perceived?) need for a genre (especially wildlife) you might find yourself held back or dissatisfied???

Having said that a lot (all?? wildlife photography is about patience and fieldcraft.

PPS you mention a dearth of camera shops in your area.....can I suggest you look on the RSPB website for a local group and you may find, once you go on a walk or two, that a number of photographers are on the walk. That will give you the opportunity to chat and even possibly handle a camera or two to how you feel about it/them, to aid your choices. Though making a trip into a major town to a camera shop such as LCE (London Camera Exchange) will mean you should be able to handle different brands with longer lenses attached etc. In my experience of the LCE local to me they have very knowledgeable staff who are genuinely interested in serving the public...... especially if you talk to the manager/senior persons. (LCE is a company now owned by its staff IIRC)

IMO to get mFT kit with a longer zoom (probably all makes of note!) your budget would only stretch to secondhand gear...... especially the lens or lenses as 'glass' holds value, in general, better than camera bodies.

PS any buying is a balancing act.......better 'glass' is IMO a key factor but body specs to meet the (actual/perceived?) need for a genre (especially wildlife) you might find yourself held back or dissatisfied???

Having said that a lot (all?? wildlife photography is about patience and fieldcraft.

PPS you mention a dearth of camera shops in your area.....can I suggest you look on the RSPB website for a local group and you may find, once you go on a walk or two, that a number of photographers are on the walk. That will give you the opportunity to chat and even possibly handle a camera or two to how you feel about it/them, to aid your choices. Though making a trip into a major town to a camera shop such as LCE (London Camera Exchange) will mean you should be able to handle different brands with longer lenses attached etc. In my experience of the LCE local to me they have very knowledgeable staff who are genuinely interested in serving the public...... especially if you talk to the manager/senior persons. (LCE is a company now owned by its staff IIRC)
Thanks I’ve been looking at this one second hand and just realised there’s a London camera exchange not that far from me so will pop in. This lens is really light? And affordable second hand from them.

Attachments

• 5129CA24-1DFC-4B93-BD69-795838BC3FDB.jpeg
    5129CA24-1DFC-4B93-BD69-795838BC3FDB.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4
The lens you link to is AFAIK only usable with the more current Canon mirrorless bodies and they, being so new, second-hand are likely (way?) above your budget :thinking: The R5 body I read is a good wildlife body @Bebop I think has both that and Olympus. I have tagged her and all being well will post her insights?

Note the older Canon dSLR bodies use the EF mount
(The EFS mount on the likes of the 850D means you can mount EF and EFS lenses.....though this is a detail to just be aware of or about)

PS using an 800mm lens light in weight or not requires good handheld technique to get the best out of it. Try one in the shop if possible whilst discussing your needs there?

Last edited:
The lens you link to is AFAIK only usable with the more current Canon mirrorless bodies and they, being so new, second-hand are likely (way?) above your budget :thinking: The R5 body I read is a good wildlife body @Bebop I think has both that and Olympus. I have tagged her and all being well will post her insights?

Note the older Canon dSLR bodies use the EF mount
(The EFS mount on the likes of the 850D means you can mount EF and EFS lenses.....though this is a detail to just be aware of or about)

PS using an 800mm lens light in weight or not requires good handheld technique to get the best out of it. Try one in the shop if possible whilst discussing your needs there?
Thanks so much. The second hand affordable (just) compatible mirrorless one I found was eos rp ? Really appreciate your help. I

Hi and welcome to TP

FWIW

Thanks for your advice. I’ve decided to get an Olympus em1 ii (second hand) and the lens
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f5-6.3 IS Lens (£1100) . Might get a teleconvertor too.

i Have read that a bridge camera with super zooms, use phone camera sensor , and at the extreme zooms are not as good a DSLR lens.
but the equivalent lens to cover the range are very expensive

Thanks for your advice. I’ve decided to get an Olympus em1 ii (second hand) and the lens
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f5-6.3 IS Lens (£1100) . Might get a teleconvertor too.
Hmmm having read your initial post you say that you used/ owned a Sony rx10.4 that gives 600mm reach , the olympus gives slightly more in FF terms i.e 800mm and with a 1.4 tc around 1150 mm but as a long term user it’s not that easy at those long focal lengths without experience .. as your apeture and shutter speeds need taking into account .. ..
so yes your on the right track but take into consideration it’s a long learning curve as Olympus menus are not easy . The all up weight of that camera lens combo is 2kg exactly and the i.b.I.s and lens i.s make the use of tripods or monopods unneeded ,..
the only caveat I would add is if you intend to shoot RAW files then invest in topaz de.noise .
Also take into account field craft a lot of new photographers think that a longer lens means getting shots from further away when in fact you want to be as close as possible and fill the frame.
There is tons of advice to be had on here in the equipment thread or on the e.group forum which is pure olympus . Steer clear of Facebook groups though . You can also visit Flickr and there are a host of images from that combo in my flickrstream .” Blackfox wildlife” or find my shots on here and link

Last edited:
Back