Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'd say yes. There's a couple of other examples on the internet by people who've done the same thing. Search for "Olympus OM1 L-plate" and you should find them. Although there's only one point of attachment - the tripod mount screw - I've not had a single moment when I feared that the camera would fall off the tripod. And the positives are just so obvious.

There's also this, but it seems a bit over the top.

https://smallrig.com/list/OM SYSTEM.html
Thanks jerry, i’ll check them out. (y)

I have used FastStone Image Viewer to download and sort files for many years with multiple types Canon files and ORF files from a EM1-mk111 however it does not seem to work with ORF files from a OM-1 - they appear as black boxes in the thumbnails. I have two questions:
1. Are ORF files from an OM1 different from ORF files from a the EM1-111? I assume so so why do they not have a different suffix?
2. Any recommendations for a simple, intuitive & cheap program for the above I would appreciate it!
I have contacted Faststone but have not received any response yet.

Thanks

John
Well, they are definitely different from EM1-ii files. They work on the latest version of Capture One on the Mac, but still don't show up in the finder. I'm on the previous MacOS version. Unfortunately the cheap solution is not to get the latest version of Capture One!

I have used FastStone Image Viewer to download and sort files for many years with multiple types Canon files and ORF files from a EM1-mk111 however it does not seem to work with ORF files from a OM-1 - they appear as black boxes in the thumbnails. I have two questions:
1. Are ORF files from an OM1 different from ORF files from a the EM1-111? I assume so so why do they not have a different suffix?
2. Any recommendations for a simple, intuitive & cheap program for the above I would appreciate it!

Thanks

John
I use PhotoMechanic for importing, culling and rating images, but that is not a cheap solution.

You could look at FastRawViewer which is cheap and quite powerful. It is vey quick to view your files and cull and rate them. I'm not sure about sorting them or importing them, but I think @Box Brownie will be able to tell you more.

Edit: I'm on Mac OS 11 and am unable to preview my OM1 files now without opening them up in a program. My laptop is now too old to update the OS - oh dear :(

Last edited:

Thanks

John

I use PhotoMechanic for importing, culling and rating images, but that is not a cheap solution.

You could look at FastRawViewer which is cheap and quite powerful. It is vey quick to view your files and cull and rate them. I'm not sure about sorting them or importing them, but I think @Box Brownie will be able to tell you more.

Edit: I'm on Mac OS 11 and am unable to preview my OM1 files now without opening them up in a program. My laptop is now too old to update the OS - oh dear :(
I think I tried Faststone some time back and another similar program but since then based on others suggestions here and elsewhere was to try FastRawViewer because it displays the raw file not the embedded jpeg.

It does it fast enough on my quite old PC build and though I find the culling step a tad awkward (perhaps my memory due to intermittent use, the program not my memory, I need to remind myself of the key presses) the speed of loading, viewing, checking stands out and a worthy first step to be really sure the raw is a good 'un :)

IIRC there is a free trial to see what you think and the cost in the scheme of things is not huge!

I think I tried Faststone some time back and another similar program but since then based on others suggestions here and elsewhere was to try FastRawViewer because it displays the raw file not the embedded jpeg.

It does it fast enough on my quite old PC build and though I find the culling step a tad awkward (perhaps my memory due to intermittent use, the program not my memory, I need to remind myself of the key presses) the speed of loading, viewing, checking stands out and a worthy first step to be really sure the raw is a good 'un :)

IIRC there is a free trial to see what you think and the cost in the scheme of things is not huge!
Thank you for the response and input. I will look into fast raw viewer.

Beautiful shot Jeff how are you finding Topaz Denoise works on the Olympus files?
Just to stick my oar in. I think topaz denoise is a game changer Imo. And it works superb on om-1 files. Sometimes in rare situations it goes a bit blobby but no amount of post processing with anything can sort that so I don't blame topaz. That seems to be in extreme iso and probably under exposed backgrounds.

Just to stick my oar in. I think topaz denoise is a game changer Imo. And it works superb on om-1 files. Sometimes in rare situations it goes a bit blobby but no amount of post processing with anything can sort that so I don't blame topaz. That seems to be in extreme iso and probably under exposed backgrounds.
And my oar is in the water, paddling DxO PureRaw. All my m4/3 files go through it, straight from Lightroom then back again-as DNG files for processing. Never compared it with Topaz, so I can’t say if one is better than t’other.

And my oar is in the water, paddling DxO PureRaw. All my m4/3 files go through it, straight from Lightroom then back again-as DNG files for processing. Never compared it with Topaz, so I can’t say if one is better than t’other.

Just wondering, Stephen, if you've ever had any problems with the "export back to Lightroom" part of this process. I don't think I ever had a successful example of it with PureRaw (I just had a trial) , and it often fails with DXO Photolab as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, and sometimes it works but the resulting file is corrupted. Still trying to get an explanation for this, and the DXO, Lightroom Queen and the Adobe Lightroom Forums have all failed to come up with a solution..

Just wondering, Stephen, if you've ever had any problems with the "export back to Lightroom" part of this process. I don't think I ever had a successful example of it with PureRaw (I just had a trial) , and it often fails with DXO Photolab as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, and sometimes it works but the resulting file is corrupted. Still trying to get an explanation for this, and the DXO, Lightroom Queen and the Adobe Lightroom Forums have all failed to come up with a solution..
No, never had any issues with it (version 2). It can take 10 seconds or so to re-import a batch back into its custom-made sub-directory, but never seen any file corruption or failures. And this is on the latest version of MacOS (Ventura) and latest LR Classic desktop. I did have a trial of Photolab, but of course with that there’s no need for a separate PureRaw as it’s incorporated into the main program.

I did do a comparison with previous versions of Photolab and Topaz for noise reduction, but I no longer have the most recent Topaz. I use Photolab anyway as my main software.

I think Topaz (like On1) works on jpegs as well as raw, whereas DXO only works on raw files.

I run topaz from Lightroom and LR exports tif files for editing into topaz. I find it works extremely well most of the time. Once in topaz I use the mask tool to work on just the bits I want sharpened or noise removed from. No complaints. ;)

At this time of the year and with the self imposed lens restrictions I.e f6.3 or f9 with t.c .. most of my shots are high I.s.o 6400 or lower if I’m lucky , I’m also lumbered with a 2013 I.mac which means I can’t upgrade to the latest versions of anything . . So taking that into account I use LR classic to work on the initial file crop ,colour etc then export it to PS where I apply topaz via plug in . ,the resize for the web . It seems to work good enough for my needs ..
I honestly can’t see a new puter happening in the current financial climate , even with pensions rising slightly . But hopefully stealth and fieldcraft will negate the need for one

Wow your lucky peed down here till late in the day

Nice shot alby

Last edited:
A few from Mondays trip over to Steart Marshes Somerset its was a challenge for sure the wildlife staying too far away:( and a howling wind buffering the camera and lens ended up taking off the hood from the 150-400 as an attempt to reduce the profile of the lens and camera I forgot how bloody cold it is at Steart right on the Bridgwater Bay in Somerset

The short eared owl kept flying the wrong way into the sun it was to say the least a challenging day but as ever always a learning curve when dealing with nature determined to go back next week and try and improve on my BIF shots which is my achilles heel

All these taken with OM-1 + 150-400 and 1.4TC + the inbuilt 1.25TC 1600mm eqv full frame and cropped in Lightroom

Shorty by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Natures cloaking device by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

heads up by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

harry the Heron by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots terry , your best bet is next tues , probably the highest spring tide of the year . should be the same as up here it will push everything in close .. check local tide tables for times ..mon,tue,wed..

Nice shots terry , your best bet is next tues , probably the highest spring tide of the year . should be the same as up here it will push everything in close .. check local tide tables for times ..mon,tue,wed..
Thanks Jeff great tip to check tide times determined to make improvements to my BIF in 2023 need to to take your top tip seek out some gulls with a loaf of bread

Back