Moving from Canon to Fuji to lighten the load - but which body?

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted this in the Fuji X-Tx thread, but it got lost in the excitement of the X-T3 launch. Unfortunately the X-T2 is already a bit of a stretch for my budget (aka what I can trade my Canon gear in for) and I need something in my hands before next weekend. So the decision for me, and that I’m hoping some of you can help me with is X-T2 vs X-T20, or maybe X-A3.

The camera will have 2 main roles:
  • Family/travel/general stuff with the 18-55 fitted, basically replacing my 5D and 24-105. I think either camera would cope well, but the X-T2 would win on ergonomics, but lacks the auto switch, that may make the X-T20 easier for my wife to use.
  • In my mountain biking rucksack as a lightweight action/landscape camera, with the 23f2 lens fitted. This is something that the Canon kit is too big/heavy for. The smaller X-T20 makes sense for this role, until I think of the practicality of riding rough terrain in all weathers. I will be falling off and the camera will be knocked around. As the 23mm lens is weather sealed it makes sense to me to fit it to a weather sealed body. Ability to use with gloves is also a factor.
With the current deals it looks like the X-T2 is £200 more expensive than the X-T20, which should be affordable. There’s also the outside option of an X-A3, as there are good deals on it as a 2 lens kit, but I’m not sure the ergonomics will cut it.

Can anyone offer any insight that may help my decision, especially with regards to the robustness of the X-T20?

I posted this in the Fuji X-Tx thread, but it got lost in the excitement of the X-T3 launch. Unfortunately the X-T2 is already a bit of a stretch for my budget (aka what I can trade my Canon gear in for) and I need something in my hands before next weekend. So the decision for me, and that I’m hoping some of you can help me with is X-T2 vs X-T20, or maybe X-A3.

The camera will have 2 main roles:
  • Family/travel/general stuff with the 18-55 fitted, basically replacing my 5D and 24-105. I think either camera would cope well, but the X-T2 would win on ergonomics, but lacks the auto switch, that may make the X-T20 easier for my wife to use.
  • In my mountain biking rucksack as a lightweight action/landscape camera, with the 23f2 lens fitted. This is something that the Canon kit is too big/heavy for. The smaller X-T20 makes sense for this role, until I think of the practicality of riding rough terrain in all weathers. I will be falling off and the camera will be knocked around. As the 23mm lens is weather sealed it makes sense to me to fit it to a weather sealed body. Ability to use with gloves is also a factor.
With the current deals it looks like the X-T2 is £200 more expensive than the X-T20, which should be affordable. There’s also the outside option of an X-A3, as there are good deals on it as a 2 lens kit, but I’m not sure the ergonomics will cut it.

Can anyone offer any insight that may help my decision, especially with regards to the robustness of the X-T20?

x-t2. stronger body with better weather sealing. keep an eye out for good used ones. seen some on eBay for around £700

Virtually brand new XT2 and motordrive unit available....I couldn't work it because I is too stupid. I have gone back to an older, easier to understand camera! It is in Cambrian Cameras - boxed etc, brand new to all intents and purposes. Cheap because I need the money!

I am in a similar boat, or will be soon when I eventually get around to selling up. I have been toying with various options for a few months now and this morning X-T3 release nearly had me doing something spontaneous.

But I think what is more likely is that I will go for an X-T1, one can be picked up cheap as chips and leaves me more money for lenses. I can see how I actually get on with the system in general, if all is good I can upgrade the body later, if not I can sell it on without losing much if anything at all. I expect if I do get on with it I will upgrade to an X-T2 body pretty soon, as much as I may like too I can't see my paying out full retail on a new body any time soon.

You can use the X-T2 in a form of auto mode.
Set the lens switch and shutter speed to A and the iso to Auto with a minimum shutter speed selected
To all intents and purposes you are in full Auto where the camera picks every setting.

X-T2 would seem the obvious choice, odds on you would hanker after it a little bit later anyway.

I had a X-T1, but prefer the rangefinder style so replaced it with the X-Pro2

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
Virtually brand new XT2 and motordrive unit available....I couldn't work it because I is too stupid. I have gone back to an older, easier to understand camera! It is in Cambrian Cameras - boxed etc, brand new to all intents and purposes. Cheap because I need the money!
What system did you come from? I'll be trading in at LCE and I noticed they had a used X-T2 in. I haven't totally written off the idea of a used one, although I've had 2 second hand bodies and both have needed new shutters within a year.

I am in a similar boat, or will be soon when I eventually get around to selling up. I have been toying with various options for a few months now and this morning X-T3 release nearly had me doing something spontaneous.

But I think what is more likely is that I will go for an X-T1, one can be picked up cheap as chips and leaves me more money for lenses. I can see how I actually get on with the system in general, if all is good I can upgrade the body later, if not I can sell it on without losing much if anything at all. I expect if I do get on with it I will upgrade to an X-T2 body pretty soon, as much as I may like too I can't see my paying out full retail on a new body any time soon.
I tend to keep my bodies for a long time - I've had my 5D 8 years now, it was only meant to be a stopgap until I worked out what the 6D/5Dmk3 were like, but ended up keeping it as the cost to upgrade was too much. I fear that if I got a cheaper temporary Fuji system now, I wouldn't ever get round to the upgrade. I'm also off on holiday the week afternext, so the thinking is that would be a good time to have the new system.

It is a strange situation for me, as it is almost free stuff, I so rarely use my Canon kit these days that I'll be essentially getting a new camera system as a reward for clearing out my office!

You can use the X-T2 in a form of auto mode.
Set the lens switch and shutter speed to A and the iso to Auto with a minimum shutter speed selected
To all intents and purposes you are in full Auto where the camera picks every setting.

X-T2 would seem the obvious choice, odds on you would hanker after it a little bit later anyway.

I had a X-T1, but prefer the rangefinder style so replaced it with the X-Pro2
Thanks, I figured that may be the case, it just isn't as easy as saying, just hit that switch. Having said that, it has never been a problem on my Canon system, now that I've taught her to use back button focus.

I know what you mean about wanting to upgrade, I'm going to try all three options at the weekend and hopefully do a deal.

Not sure the £200 trade in bonus applies to the T2. Looking at their site it seems to say only £100 for a T2.
I've spoken to Wilkinsons and they say that the £200 only applies to DSLR cameras or older CSC models. There appears to be a qualifying list. Fuji are obviously trying to get people to buy into their system.

No need to look behind the sofa. I've had a nice job this summer that is paying for the upgrade:)

Not sure the £200 trade in bonus applies to the T2. Looking at their site it seems to say only £100 for a T2.
I've spoken to Wilkinsons and they say that the £200 only applies to DSLR cameras or older CSC models. There appears to be a qualifying list. Fuji are obviously trying to get people to buy into their system.

No need to look behind the sofa. I've had a nice job this summer that is paying for the upgrade:)

I'd talk to Wilkinsons again

see here https://www.wexphotovideo.com/trade-up/trade-in-bonuses/fuji-x-t3/

Trade In Price has already dropped £40 from £590 (an email I had at 10am to published price now)

Last edited:
That's changed since I looked this morning.

The Wex trade in has also dropped to £550.

Edit...That's before Wex decide on the quality of your camera and then further reduce the offer, which they will do.

Last edited:
I've never heard of anyone needing a new shutter on a Fuji. I never needed one my 5D3 and that ran up over 50,000 clicks.
It could just be that I was unlucky with both my 1D2 and 5D, but it certainly puts me off second hand cameras.

That's changed since I looked this morning.

The Wex trade in has also dropped to £550.

Edit...That's before Wex decide on the quality of your camera and then further reduce the offer, which they will do.

FRank

I've just had an email from Wilkinson's although the words say £200 extra on a qualifying DSLR, if you, click the link it goes to https://fujifilm-promotions.com/gb/...417298585&mc_cid=a24300bb4f&mc_eid=0b753943ba where the X-T2 is listed as a qualifying trade in.

Must admit when I rang Wilkinsons their website was changing in front of my eyes. Guess it's all very new and they are playing catchup a bit.
They did tell me that there are unlikley to be any demo days for this in advance of supplies. Supplies are apparently ready to roll and they will be available very shortly indeed. Your place in Chester has a Fuji day booked but not until middle of October by which time the body will be out there.
Not had a mail from them yet.

I'm in Liverpool on Saturday so may call in to the new store as it's right next to the station.

Just had a live chat and the £200 does apply to the T2...
Wikinson.JPG
So with my summer bonus, this bonus and my trade in price I should be able to upgrade and at least break even if not come out ahead!

Must admit when I rang Wilkinsons their website was changing in front of my eyes. Guess it's all very new and they are playing catchup a bit.
They did tell me that there are unlikley to be any demo days for this in advance of supplies. Supplies are apparently ready to roll and they will be available very shortly indeed. Your place in Chester has a Fuji day booked but not until middle of October by which time the body will be out there.
Not had a mail from them yet.

I'm in Liverpool on Saturday so may call in to the new store as it's right next to the station.

Sept 20th is the supposed official release date, but I fully expect trade in values to plummet on the X-T2, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them at £400-£450 by end of month.

Although it tempting to pre-order, I don't need a new shiny thing, and unless the sensor has much improved dynamic range, I'll be very happy to continue with the T2. I'll have to await some decent reviews

Thanks, I figured that may be the case, it just isn't as easy as saying, just hit that switch. Having said that, it has never been a problem on my Canon system, now that I've taught her to use back button focus.

I know what you mean about wanting to upgrade, I'm going to try all three options at the weekend and hopefully do a deal.

Just on the subject of back button focus, one of things I found awkward with Fuji was the placement of the AF-on button but top tip, you can map the rear dial to act as AF activation when you push it in. It's placed perfectly for this and I found it the answer to my prayers.

There have been a lot of used T2's here of late. I should have sold mine a long time ago as I never use it. Now its worth less than half what I paid for it, so I plan to keep it. Just bought an X100, so I'll be taking it on holiday with me tomorrow along with my X-Pro 2 :)

Hopefully that will make sense when I get my hands on a body/study the manual...

I resisted the temptation to trade in my T1 when there was a similar promotion. I got rid of it a couple of months ago and lost lot of money - almost 50% I know you always loose out on trade ins but as I don't need a spare body I'm tempted to go for it. Seems a decent upgrade especially for the action stuff. Can manage without IBIS.

I resisted the temptation to trade in my T1 when there was a similar promotion. I got rid of it a couple of months ago and lost lot of money - almost 50% I know you always loose out on trade ins but as I don't need a spare body I'm tempted to go for it. Seems a decent upgrade especially for the action stuff. Can manage without IBIS.
I never felt I needed IBIS on the T2 even with the 16-55 and 90, not had a situation yet with the H1 where I’ve pushed things to the point of seeing a benefit and I’ve never used the video on a T2 or H1. I think for many the T3 is a great option.

I never felt I needed IBIS on the T2 even with the 16-55 and 90, not had a situation yet with the H1 where I’ve pushed things to the point of seeing a benefit and I’ve never used the video on a T2 or H1. I think for many the T3 is a great option.
Yup. That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Every time an upgrade is due the merchants of doom prophecy little if any improvement. Then when it comes out they all start inventing reasons why it's no good. Then they go and buy one.

The changes from X-T2 to X-T3 only seem minimal, at least for me with only a little experience of the Fuji system.

The changes from X-T2 to X-T3 only seem minimal, at least for me with only a little experience of the Fuji system.
Improvement in the AF system looks substantial to me and the video is on a different planet.

If the AF jumps up as much from the T2 to T3 as it did from the T1 to T2 then it will be up there with the very best. Sounds promising so far.

Fuji "Experience days"are now being announced for middle of September. If the 20th is correct for release dates then it will be a try and buy session.

I posted this in the Fuji X-Tx thread, but it got lost in the excitement of the X-T3 launch.

This is odd, because I made a thread naff all to do with any current models but was nagged that there's already an Xtrans specific thread - you asked a question very specific to them and ended u having to make this thread ... :thinking:

Last time we shared a pint was in that dingy pub in Liverpool and that's so long ago I'd forgotten all about it. (The one with the toilets downstairs and the "characters" propping the bar up!) On that basis we'll be out of Europe before the next time. A chance to save up.

He seems to have disappeared. Think he fell into a tub of dough and has been sold in a packet of wholemeal toast.

Mind you...He did buy his round. I was there and saw it. We did have to go to Glasgow but it was worth the trip.

Last edited:
This is odd, because I made a thread naff all to do with any current models but was nagged that there's already an Xtrans specific thread - you asked a question very specific to them and ended u having to make this thread ... :thinking:
And it is mostly talking about the X-T3.

Improvement in the AF system looks substantial to me and the video is on a different planet.

If the AF jumps up as much from the T2 to T3 as it did from the T1 to T2 then it will be up there with the very best. Sounds promising so far.

That does sound interesting. The full AF coverage blows my mind, coming from 9 points clustered right in the centre of my frame.

Is the AF on an X-T2 likely to be as good as on my old 1Dmk2?

Back